Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

He mentioned it because he plays with a front row flag.

ooh I tired that once got scouted first move never tried again lol :)
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#22 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:47 AM

He mentioned it because he plays with a front row flag.

I'm glad somebody reads and remembers my posts.  :)   I think I have a Masters in playing with the flag at A4.  I'm working on a PhD.  It's challenging and so much fun.  But I might have spawned a quite a few copycats last year, so it's much harder now to get by the first 2 moves without being scouted.  

I think the best way to win with a flag at A4 is to clear the A column until you hit a bomb.  Try not to use high pieces to help clear the column because you don't want to draw attention to that side.  If you hit a bomb in the A column, then stop and don't remove it and play a normal game.  If you clear the A column, you then want to clear the back row until you hit a bomb.  Then slowly start to move pieces away from the flag and play a normal game.

Most of the gravon games with flags on the top side had a marshal next to it.  I guess that would work too if you want to play a marshal blitz style game, but that's not my style.  I just don't like drawing attention to the flag side and would rather bluff and create the illusion that the flag is a bomb. 

Here's a quick game from last spring.  I picked this game out because it shows what I mean about clearing the column and back row.

https://youtu.be/d88cFFPQBR0

• tobermoryx, ScottLafaro, KissMyCookie and 1 other like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#23 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:53 AM

https://youtu.be/O7zBrGCZQhI first attempt at front row flag @dobby @tobermoryx

• tobermoryx likes this

#24 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

https://youtu.be/gNp2HqgDewg 2cnd try sped it upx2 for u.

• ScottLafaro likes this

#25 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

You are in fact a mad man

#26 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:07 AM

wait....

I just watched the second one..... and you uhhhhh....

WON?!?! 

WTFFFFFFFFF

#27 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

wait....

I just watched the second one..... and you uhhhhh....

WON?!?! 

WTFFFFFFFFF

playing at a low rating got info very fast and easy and saw 3 bombs read the other 3 so was able to run through with major. Just have to make sure they don't scout the flag lol I tried what dobby said to do run through the whole a line so wont be any late sneaks on flag and i basically clamped down the a and b file even with scout it was good enough :P Its ok to trade marsh for gen even kinda of had to I am up in info and material. I want to try this vs a platinum player not in a ranked tho I will try to sneak it one of my friendly matches.

#28 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

I just got done watching game. Love your spy adventure for starters. I share a concern with ouwesok at 13:55 here with piece entering  I think you have to auto take with marshal. Tbh I thought it was his general when he didn't take originally, once he shows gen I put it on marshal. I also agree with ouwesok 3:11 you have an amazing situation where u can sit your marshal in front of colonel and he will think it's lower then a col enticing him to hit with col. Idk the exact time but at one point i thought u got your general trapped ... since i was in the belief the general was by your col and marsh. And his marshal was where his general was idk why you didn't get your general a way out here which is able to be done by moving sergeant out of the way. Other then that great game :P 

#29 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Here's a quick game from last spring.  I picked this game out because it shows what I mean about clearing the column and back row.

https://youtu.be/d88cFFPQBR0

Dobby125,

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this one...I was smiling ear to ear the entire match...fun, really.  :D

• Dobby125 likes this

#30 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

https://youtu.be/gNp2HqgDewg 2cnd try sped it upx2 for u.

That was another fun match to watch. I did not realize that Dobby125 plays with a flag at A4, and the fact that you have tried this is a good adventure into this realm of setup. (I love your first attempt–sorry, but I had to laugh out loud as it put everything into an extremely clear picture).

It is also a testament to your skill that you did not panic with his incoming marshal. Opening your access was essential, and using your spy as you did, having had the benefit of knowing about his bombs, was another strong bluff that could have taken his marsh.

Having used this setup with one loss and one win, are you going to continue to experiment with this A4 flag, or how do you feel about it?

Thanks.

#31 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

Having used this setup with one loss and one win, are you going to continue to experiment with this A4 flag, or how do you feel about it?

Thanks.

I just did it for fun to see if it could be done but that's really all. I couldn't be able to use that in a ranked or tournament game so it is just for fun/lols I wonder dobby ur stats on games won vs loss with that if you have it?

#32 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

Dobby125,

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this one...I was smiling ear to ear the entire match...fun, really.  :D

I've had so much fun playing the last year with the flag on A4.  I love bluffing and I think that's the ultimate bluff.  Almost every game is thrilling(if you survive the first few moves).  I wish I could hear what my opponents were saying, in the long lasting games, when they couldn't find the flag on the back 2 rows.  You do have a wry smile when they start checking bombs for a 2nd time.  The only time you have relief is when your opponent loses their last scout.  I'll post some more games soon.

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users