Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

Not uncommonly I have the disconnecters come back online and make a move.  I know they're just hoping to catch me asleep at the wheel or gone to the bathroom.  Anyone doing this deserves a special place in the lower hereafter in my book.  

I loathe those type of disconnecters too.  That happened to Stratego Bob a few weeks ago.  He wasn't paying attention and it cost him a win.  His opponent ran the buffer down, disconnected and came back and made a move.  

https://youtu.be/lis...Gt6A?t=1h21m47s

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#62 mazuzam

mazuzam

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:44 AM

The "runners" are more commonly called "disconnecters", but this is an issue I personally agree with you on, mazuzam. Disconnecting is an offense that runs in spurts and often I get two or three in a row. Waiting 2:30 is one thing, but I personally believe there's a glitch in the system because I often have players disconnecting more than once with a fresh 2:30 each time! That may be a function of the new app, though. Not sure.

I would disagree with your penalty suggestions, however, and in particular the awarding of points to the victim of the purposeful disconnection. That, I assure you, won't fly. The last time we put this matter up seriously the consensus was for a 25 point ELO hit to the culprits. It needs to be more than 5. That's hardly worth bothering admins about. I personally would vote for 50 points an incident. Not uncommonly I have the disconnecters come back online and make a move. I know they're just hoping to catch me asleep at the wheel or gone to the bathroom. Anyone doing this deserves a special place in the lower hereafter in my book. The perpetrators of this behavior might not care about their ELO as Robert has suggested but they'll cease to be a problem to you and me if they lose enough points and drop out of yours and my range over the matter. 50 points a whack might not be the number. Maybe 25 is going to be again. But if we finally start doing something about these guys, we all might experience less of the problem.

Doing this is still entirely possible, though it's never going to be foolproof. We would have to do it based upon the white writing most of the time, as was laid out before, while occasionally a BattleChat conversation might establish the issue. The main thing is the workload for the MT. It would be an entirely experimental thing for us to do and might not last if the workload is too great.

Big penalty will require evidense, judgment and MT involvement. This will not fly. Nobody will want to go through all this. Automatic small penalty is not about ranking but rather about changing a perception of 2.5 min wait time “punishment” into a few points “reward” to the victim. All about perception to discourage bad behavior.

Disconnectors are upset for loosing and they show disrespect to you by disconnecting to just waist your time. They go on with their life while yours is delayed.

#63 mazuzam

mazuzam

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

You miss the crux of the matter completely–

THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT POINTS ! ! !

You care about points, but they do not, and that is why your idea won't work as you would like to think it would.

I admit nothing–I stated my supposition which I believe is valid...they want to upset someone like you...and...if you are foolish enough to get upset, then they have beaten you in this respect. So, why play into their stupid mind-game when all you have to do is laugh it off?

I thought capitals in chats are commonly know as shouting. There is no need to get upset here and shout.

The only persons laughing are the disconnectors. They ended their game while you are waiting and checking the clock going down to zero.

#64 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,271 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:05 AM

Big penalty will require evidense, judgment and MT involvement. This will not fly. Nobody will want to go through all this. Automatic small penalty is not about ranking but rather about changing a perception of 2.5 min wait time “punishment” into a few points “reward” to the victim. All about perception to discourage bad behavior.

No penalty will take place without evidence. There can be no such thing as "automatic penalties". Might as well come with more of a penalty than 5 points. We should look to making the point stick.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#65 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,716 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

As there is no thread for "pathetic behaviour", here it goes:

JUl5i0b.png

Opponent asks for a draw - I offer it.. and guess what

FpXeFAr.png

Apparently we first have to talk :o.

• Koan likes this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

#66 Overheat

Overheat

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Lol Nortrom are you reporting yourself?
Cmon you both act like whiners
Just play the game you may be the best

#67 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

And if they start cursing at you in chat, I usually respond with a simple "gg".

You are a gentleman and a scholar, Dobby125.  :D

Yes, I agree completely. I would offer my opponents a "gg" in chat if they have been offensive, but my simple modus operandi is that the moment I receive a negative chat of any kind, even one without vulgarity, but demanding that I "hurry up," I close the chat, make sure the sound is off, and I can concentrate on the match in relative peace and quiet.

#68 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

Guess who is pathetic! This game was in Masters Division and the game wasn't progressing by any of us , so i asked him for a draw, and he immediately sent me a request. I just asked. So why should have accepted at this moment? I wanted to think all the possibilities. After 2 minutes we agreed on a draw. So, what is pathetic,and who??? Everything you do and say is pathetic especially for me! You're trying AGAIN to reduce me. What a nice life 😀 bb n-e.
Don't bother me again behind a computer. If you wanna talk with me or say something, do it personally (on Saturday) like a man.

#69 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

I thought capitals in chats are commonly know as shouting. There is no need to get upset here and shout.

I'm not intending to shout at you Mazuzam, but rather this was my first point in my first reply, so I am merely highlighting this statement because I do not feel that it was made clear. Secondly, I am certainly not upset with you about a friendly debate over the two different points of view which divide us presently.

The only persons laughing are the disconnectors. They ended their game while you are waiting and checking the clock going down to zero.

I disagree as the 'disconnect' is resultant from their frustration; ergo, they cannot be laughing but more likely cursing. For this very reason must we enjoy ourselves and laugh.

(Please note this one, Mazuzam):

I loathe those type of disconnecters too.  That happened to Stratego Bob a few weeks ago.  He wasn't paying attention and it cost him a win.  His opponent ran the buffer down, disconnected and came back and made a move.  

I had one of these try this nonsense with me–it is a poor tactic, but poor sports try to resort to grabbing a victory through cowardice. The guy ran his buffer down to about 47 or 50 seconds and then disconnected. I waited patiently and was chuckling that he did not like having his marshal taken by my spy, especially since he thought my scout was a much higher value piece. Now, he had already cursed me on the chat so I knew he was checking that box out. Well, lo and behold, he came back after one and a half minutes and made a move. Guess what? I already had entered into the Battlechat a text that I could send immediately in case he returned...I cannot explain it, but I had the strong feeling he was going to pull something stupid of this kind. He made his move and I sent my message: "I'm still here, and my spy still wasted your marshal." He chatted back something to me about wanting some intimate contact or other, or doing something to myself, and then he disconnected completely.

Now, Mazuzam, I ask you...how can you not laugh at something so utterly ridiculous, and how can you not feel sorry for someone acting in such a pathetic manner?  :D

By the way...I like your moniker:  m–a–z–u–z–a–m

It's got a good ring to it...it almost sounds like some mythical lord of the realm, and if you say the name loud enough, your opponent will run away in fear. It almost suggests a huge fist coming down from the sky and crushing the adversary:

MAZUZAM ! ! !

Now there I was shouting!  :lol:  I like it!

KMC

#70 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Guess who is pathetic! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ...

giphy.gif

• Koan and Unladen Swallow like this

#71 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,210 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

@KMC
Because I honestly care, a kind advice.
Forget Overlord and play more.
  • Aris1970, Great Manos and KissMyCookie like this
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#72 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,473 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

@KMC

@Μ.Ν.
Forget Overlord and his company and learn to distinguish the truth from the lie.

• Koan and KissMyCookie like this

#73 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

@KMC

I cannot resist a friendly and kind message–thank you for being one of the good guys, Major Nelson.  :)

#74 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,210 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

I cannot resist a friendly and kind message–thank you for being one of the good guys, Major Nelson. :)

Ι mean, you would be spending your time a lot more productively.

#75 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,210 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

@Μ.Ν.
Forget Overlord and his company and learn to distinguish the truth from the lie.

Because I care about you too, don't forget to buy a big pie for your club's meeting. ;)
  • Lonello, OVERLORD and Great Manos like this

#76 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

#77 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

...you would be spending your time a lot more productively.

Well, it requires very little of my time as the fodder provided inspires rather instantaneous results from yours truly, but I will keep my sarcasm to a minimum because you asked me so politely. I must, however, say that should there be something I regard as being inflammatory or completely out of bounds, I will pay you the respect of expressing my view, not in the form of a sarcastic attack, but of a more objective truth without the edge. Again, I do appreciate you being polite and in good spirit–we may disagree on certain points in this matter, but I do hold you in high esteem and I want to keep our friendly connection intact.

KMC

Edited by KissMyCookie, 11 January 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#78 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Because I care about you too, don't forget to buy a big pie for your club's meeting. ;)

P.S.–You may want to advise your cohort that dumping fuel on the fire is not a good strategy for quelling the embers of discontent. If you are going to ask me to bring things down a bit, you are obligated to do the same for John. Okay? Thank you.

#79 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,210 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

P.S.–You may want to advise your cohort that dumping fuel on the fire is not a good strategy for quelling the embers of discontent. If you are going to ask me to bring things down a bit, you are obligated to do the same for John. Okay? Thank you.

I was talking to you when KAR... (sorry but I don't mention his name or I might get sued) brought on a new subject, seems to me he is the one who seeks an arguement.
  • Great Manos likes this

#80 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,473 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I was talking to you when KAR... (sorry but I don't mention his name or I might get sued) brought on a new subject, seems to me he is the one who seeks an arguement.

The man who believes in the lie because he does not know the truth has no relation to the man who believes in the lie while he knows the truth.  

• KissMyCookie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users