Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

Hey everyone, its Max or Silverhammer. I just got this awesome idea. 

What if there were Stratego "Factions". Which would basically serve as a clan for a group of people to compete against others to see who gets the most elo, etc. per month. 

I don't know. I think that would be really awesome. Each faction could have a name, and a max number of members, and could compete for the "King Faction" title every month. 

There wouldn't be any requirements for making a faction, you would just have to have a name.

I think we would have to talk to the admins or the mods about making a separate sub group of threads for this idea under Stratego Multiplayer.

I don't know, I think it would be super fun. Please let me know what you think, making a vid on it today!

- Max (Silverhammer, Maxosctiy)

• texaspete09 likes this

#2 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

My question is, how would we allow people to start at an equal place each month? For example if Hielco signed up, he would recieve much fewer points for the month than a player like myself with a low rating that would have an easy 200 point climb due to my current low elo. I think this idea was somewhat introduced by Tobi but the only way we saw his idea working was by admin resetting the accounts EVERY month or creating a new alias every month. It's a great idea but without programming used to implement and keep it natural, it would not be scaled evenly. At least I don't see it working, maybe someone has a great idea on how this would work.

#3 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

It doesn't need to use ELO to score.

You just record the results of matches between members of opposing factions, and treat as a Team Tournament.

#4 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 975 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Greg (KARAISKAKIS) had a nice idea about that , but it was postponed because it would only make matters worse in the serious conflicts between Greek clubs about various issues not directly related to just playing and enjoying the game.

I am still all for team tournaments (in chess it was one of the most enjoyable things for me when I played competitively)

If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 962 (Platinum Marshal)

#5 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

I like the direction TheO suggested. If we use elo, Hielco for example would not be a preferred faction mate over steelers or kentinator due to their low elo compared to their tru skill. If we only use results from opposing faction match ups like TheO said, that would fix that issue. Going this route though makes it more of an obligation to arrange matches with a player rather than just spontaneously playing a match at your liezure. Would it still be possible to be spontaneous with TheOs suggestion. I'm getting burned out of arranging these tedious time slots to play. I just want to play when I want to. If this becomes an arranging match thing, I will likely not join.

#6 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

You needn't have matches arranged - you'd only need to report results. Players of opposing factions would only need to agree that the game they are about to play 'counts'.

Eg Allow factions to exist each with X number of players. Over a period of Y months each member of each faction is obligated to play Z games (no more, no less) against any opponents they choose

#7 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Is it possible that factions would not have to play opposing factions (although it would be acceptable)? For example, using the clean ranking (it would be a requirement to only use a main account and be on the clean ranking) you could see the total games won and lost in a weeks time. Playing a ranked game or pre determined friendly would count. A player could have his matches for the week not count if he verbally asked for them not to count before the week starts but he would have a certain amount of weeks that must count. Playing zero games in a week that must count will result in a negative score for his faction.

#8 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

A way that we could in fact use elo is if we give a value to the percentage of ones total elo and then base points won and lost accordingly. For example, if Hielco gets five points, it would be worth a significant more amount of faction points than if Wogomite gains five points. In the same way, Hielco losing 22 points would be equivalent to Wogomite losing 4 points. The numbers I used are an arbitrary example.

#9 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

Lol, Hielco won 8 points today. He probably beat Spion... who dropped 8 points (1172->1164). 8 points must be like treasure for him at such a high rating. He is the only player to have passed 1200 AND 1300 now, quite a remarkable feat.
  • Dobby125 likes this
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#10 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

I do like the ELO system of competing with other factions. I would say that the higher the player is on the rating list of the faction member they are worth more points toward the faction goal. 

The faction roster would need to be updated at the 1st of every month.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users