Photo

I'm on a losing streak and I just don't know how to break it. HELP.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

I have been away for awhile and I'm naturally rusty but I just seem to have lost something. I loss way more then I should. I was once ranked as high as maybe 563. Now I'm struggling to stay in the 4oos. I don't think I'll make it. So I hope someone here can give me some pointers, hints, anything to stop this demoralizing descent. For god's sake I'm losing to players ranked in the 100 and 200 hundreds. P.S I noticed the Quick game is not working. Any news about when it might be fixed?

Edited by kain12, 28 December 2017 - 10:47 PM.

#2 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hey Kain12. I think right in the beginning of your statement you say what your problem is and you are rusty. Since now you are rusty you lose, You lose you get frustrated. you get frustrated you make dumb decisions and if you make dumb decisions you will lose. Now if you do this 10 games in a row it will only get worse as your mood and play style will just get worse and worse. My tip is to just take a 1 day break I know that might be hard but 1 day and first game back really try to win and if you do enjoy the streak of winning!

• kain12 likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#3 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,270 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

Relax, the wins will come again. You just need to find your good mood again. I still remember my plummet from 441 to as low as 254... I was struggling at about 300 rating for like a month!

• kain12 likes this

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth."

-Plato

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."

-Bruce Lee

#4 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:02 PM

I think your right. I'm going to take a day off and regroup. It's not been fun and that's why I play, to have fun.

#5 Tilor

Tilor

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

Agreed with the above comments! Relax and you will regain your rhythm.

• kain12 likes this

Top Rating reached 3/5/20 - 737 Platinum Scout

Current Rating as of 3/5/20 - 737 Platinum Scout

#6 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:03 AM

I reached my high of 667 2 days ago, but through today and yesterday I had a combined record 3-11, falling to 564. But I chsged my setup and won 5 straight, propelling me back up to 614. I think the most important thing to do to avoid cold streaks is to hsve a healthy rotation of setups one uses in ranked matches. I am not sure why but I notice that I go on cold streaks after plsying the sane setup for about a month. One theory I have is because when you use a setup a lot your concentration drops because you become familiar with the setup, therefore creating a new one and learning how to use it halts this. I know many other players have experienced the same issue as I concerning playing a setup too much, I would be interested to hear other theories about this.

• GaryLShelton and kain12 like this

4 months until flash goes bye-bye

#7 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:52 AM

I think your right Fairway. Maybe what I need ( after a break, to regroup) is a new setup. It won't be easy as it took me a long time to get a couple of setups that really worked for me but it's definitely time for a change.

#8 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

Welcome to stratego.com kain! What is happening to you happened to all top players before you. ELO is like wall street ... it goes up for a while and then falls down ... but over the long run on average it is always increasing. This is because you gain in experience and become better and also because more "new and less experienced" players will join, making it on average easier for you to win over time. The secret is to never abandon and insist ... your ELO will climb again. You know the definition of "success"? Success is the ability to stand up once more than you've fallen down ... keep this in mind and you will see that before end 2018 you will be in the 700+

• kain12 and ScottLafaro like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#9 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

I think you need to play with any setup for a little while to explore what happens to you with that arrangement. Then change it because you don't want to grow stale using it. By that I mean predictable. Pretty soon you know what works for you in any setup but what happens when it seems to stop working? It is my theory that we begin to telegraph subtle clues to our opponents and they begin to pick them up. It's like we give off the smell of our traps all of a sudden. But change your setup to another one in these times will cause you to play "fresh". You'll have to rethink things and you'll discover new things that both do and don't work. You'll have success again because you yourself are unknowing anything to telegraph and it'll all be much less tainted by your own thinking.

Then you will begin losing again with the new setup and so once again it will be time to change. Find a few setups you can play with is my recommendation. Then when you return to one you previously had success with it will again become fresh because you haven't used it in awhile.

That's my theory anyway. :D
  • Losermaker and kain12 like this
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,100 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

I reached my high of 667 2 days ago

Way to go, Fairway! :)
  • Dobby125 and Fairway like this
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#11 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

I disagree to change setups when you are in a losing streak. I'd say to pick a setup you know and understand. You are playing vs a different opponent every game, so there is no benefit in changing setups.

Changing setups is a good idea if you want to improve as a player and be able to handle various styles of play. Also you will learn how people play against that style and you will learn what strategies are effective vs that style. Next time you play against someone using a particular style, you will know better how to counter it. You are able to change gears during a game if you are familiar with several ones.

If you are on a downswing you should do these things:

• Take a break for some days or for whatever period you need. Play something else.
  • Only play when you feel focused and mentally fresh.
  • Review the games you lose and try to pinpoint where you lost them and if that was due to a playing error from your side. Try to fix it.

• Dobby125 and kain12 like this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,100 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

I disagree to change setups when you are in a losing streak. I'd say to pick a setup you know and understand. You are playing vs a different opponent every game, so there is no benefit in changing setups.

Changing setups is a good idea if you want to improve as a player and be able to handle various styles of play. Also you will learn how people play against that style and you will learn what strategies are effective vs that style. Next time you play against someone using a particular style, you will know better how to counter it. You are able to change gears during a game if you are familiar with several ones.

If you are on a downswing you should do these things:

• Take a break for some days or for whatever period you need. Play something else.
  • Only play when you feel focused and mentally fresh.
  • Review the games you lose and try to pinpoint where you lost them and if that was due to a playing error from your side. Try to fix it.

I wouldn't say use a large number of setups, OuweSok.  There is definite value in playing and getting experience whatever one is using as you say.  But changing every so often between a small circuit of even just 3 or 4 setups will often help with getting me out of a funk.  It's not my opponents that bring this about but my own self.  Of course, you are correct about the time off and being mentally fresh and focused considerations.  At some point you just have to take a break, yes.  And reflect upon things.  My point is to watch that familiarity with your setup doesn't sink into the rut that keeps you down.

Posted Image

#13 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

Watch a couple of YouTube videos for some inspiration and try some new ideas. :)

• kain12 likes this

#14 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

I have just found out that there are Stratego videos on YouTube. I'm going to watch a few and see what I can learn. Just like in my old high school football days watching past games. Except I won't be in them and coach won't be loudly lecturing me about what I did wrong.

#15 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

In my channel are a bunch of games vs gold opponents. That should be right up your alley.
  • kain12 likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#16 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Thanks OuweSok I will check it out.

#17 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Thanks to all for the advice, I just made it back to the 500s now at 506. Was not easy but I made it. The break in play and change of setup seem to be working. Also I'm finding the Stratego videos on You tube  are very informative, though I kind of feel that should I ever be paired with a player that I have watched it might be like cheating as I now have an idea as to how they play and what there setup might be.

• Fks likes this

#18 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Most people posting videos won't use the same set up twice :) besides a few Also gratz on getting back on track!
  • kain12 likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#19 kain12

kain12

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Thanks Fks. Good to know. I don't like to think I would be getting an unfair advantage.

#20 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:10 AM

I have been stuck at Bronze captain/major for a while, rotating between about 3 setups. Tonight I lost another couple of games, but won the last two I played by simply not giving up and stumbling on the flag  :)

1. In the first win, my opponent had a colonel (top rank) on the 3rd row of an outer lane and was marching along the edge column with a suspected miner. Nothing I could do to stop him. My only colonel was deep in his territory, having eaten everything that had moved (during its spree, I had kinda forgotten to defend properly against flag attacks...). The colo was next to an unmoved piece on the 9th row, no other piece around it anymore. I was 99% sure it was a bomb, but with his miner hitting my bomb in front of the flag, I just checked his "bomb" with my colo, and bingo: it was the flag :)
  2. In the second win, I was down a major and a sarge but he had an open flag, and I was 90% sure of its location (given his stubborn defense of the suspected spot). He had it defended against my marshal + last miner with major and spy. My spy was blocking his marshal to my bomb-protected corner flag, and his last miner had to come from the other flank. Instead of forcing a marshal trade, he kept marching with his miner, but I just sacrificed my marshal on his major, and ran through the spy with my miner and got to the flag 2 moves before he got to my flag :)

So never give up when you can still reach the other side of the board! And also don't play with corner flags, it's horrible to defend! 

EDIT: my corner flags luckily got compensated by my opponents open flags, perhaps I'll try that next time :)

Edited by TemplateRex, 03 January 2018 - 01:13 AM.

• Dobby125 and kain12 like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users