General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

- beat my ELO record of 1033

- beat 2 of the 3 only players I've never beaten (Nortrom, Playa1 and Hielco) until 31.12.2018

- make sure this forum remains a nice place for stratego fans to exchange

- support any initiative that is promoting stratego

- did not beat my record, went to 1025 late october, nevertheless if MT would be so nice to give me back my 13 points on that case: http://forum.strateg...-2018/?p=467228 then maybe we could consider I've beaten my record! :)

- have beaten Playa1 in winter tournament and WCO18 and Nortrom in WCO 18 - goal achieved! :)

- believe with the new MT this forum is in good hands and remains a nice place for stratego fans to exchange - goal achieved! :)

- strongly supporting videos for promotion of stratego! - ultimate goal not achieved but support is obvious, so we can consider goal achieved!  :)

Wish you all a very happy new year on stratego.com!

• Dobby125, Yellowhat and TemplateRex like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#62 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

- did not beat my record, went to 1025 late october, nevertheless if MT would be so nice to give me back my 13 points on that case: http://forum.strateg...-2018/?p=467228 then maybe we could consider I've beaten my record! :)
- have beaten Playa1 in winter tournament and WCO18 and Nortrom in WCO 18 - goal achieved! :)
- believe with the new MT this forum is in good hands and remains a nice place for stratego fans to exchange - goal achieved! :)
- strongly supporting videos for promotion of stratego! - ultimate goal not achieved but support is obvious, so we can consider goal achieved!  :)

Wish you all a very happy new year on stratego.com!

I also still have to beat Playa1 and Hielco, but 1/3 this year was waaay beyond my goals :)

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#63 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

Beat a 700 level player with an open flag on the top row.  :)

See how many games it takes me to win with a wide open flag(an open flag with no bombs around flag on any side) on every square of the board.  This could take all year.

Upload some game videos with commentary to help beginner Stratego players get better on youtube.

Learn R programming language.

Get 2 birdies in a round of golf.

I did beat 2 players, with the flag up front, that are now in the top 150 rankings on the leaderboard.  1 is in the top 50 if you remove aliases.  :)

I didn't try the 2nd goal yet.  I might try it in a few years when I find the time.

I finally did make some stratego tutorial youtube videos.  Most turned out better than I expected.  The mystery player series with the flag up front seems to be popular.   

Didn't have time to learn R, play golf or even much Stratego.  Life got in the way of my goals.  Only played 1 round of golf this year.  Had a 2 1/2 foot putt for birdie on the last hole and choked.  :angry:

Edited by Dobby125, 31 December 2018 - 07:21 PM.

• Fairway, Yellowhat and TemplateRex like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#64 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Earlier today, I obtained 25th place at the Live Dutch Championships!  :)

Remaining goals for 2018: become Gold player here (421 now).

Programming goals will be pushed to 2019 and beyond.

Finally gold, with 502.

• Nortrom, tobermoryx and Yellowhat like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#65 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

Finally gold, with 502.

I found 500 to be the hardest target to reach in all my time here.

Now I have never reached 900 at all, more than 2 years after first achieving 800,but I don't think I have ever seriously been closing on 900. I only get to 800+ if I have a lucky sequence of close wins, and have maybe spent 50 games between 800-900 (highest 871), and it always seems a temporary level to me.

But with the 500 target I must have spent 150+ games established in the mid/upper 400s, only 4 at most consecutive wins from the goal, but I could never quite get it done. When I finally made 500 I think it was perhaps another 25 games til I hit 600.

• Dobby125 and TemplateRex like this

#66 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

I found 500 to be the hardest target to reach in all my time here.

Now I have never reached 900 at all, more than 2 years after first achieving 800,but I don't think I have ever seriously been closing on 900. I only get to 800+ if I have a lucky sequence of close wins, and have maybe spent 50 games between 800-900 (highest 871), and it always seems a temporary level to me.

But with the 500 target I must have spent 150+ games established in the mid/upper 400s, only 4 at most consecutive wins from the goal, but I could never quite get it done. When I finally made 500 I think it was perhaps another 25 games til I hit 600.

Thanks for sharing your learning curve. It took me 200+ games to get from bronze to silver, and also 200+ to get from silver to gold, but I think about 50 games to get from 400 to 500. I think it has to do with the fact that lotto'ers (~300) and blitzers (~400)  get replaced by more cautious players. This reduces the gambling noise from your progress and lets you focus on "real" gameplay. 

Also, I am now recording all my games, and afterwards I set myself the task to reconstruct their setups and store the setups as images in a map. I haven't encountered any opponent more than once, so there has been no direct gain from this. However, rewatching the games and trying to reconstruct the setups gives indirect gains. E.g. it made me better understand the logic of my opponents. I find it's a good training that let's me also apply such deduction during the games. As I build up more experience, recognizing setup patterns during the game should become more automatic and cost less mental effort.

I hope to reach platinum in the next 200 games or so. We'll see :) I am nowhere near a player like Ouwesok who went from 100 to 700 in about 200 games. Maybe I should make another account and see how quickly I can get at my current level from scratch. OTOH, I don't want to face all the horrible bombed stuff, lotto'ers and blitzers again. 

• Dobby125, tobermoryx and udesab like this

#67 R u Mocking Me ?

R u Mocking Me ?

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 5 days ago

It is closing in on 6 months so I figured I would also add update on goals.

Still Gold but got along way to go for Platinum---working at it !

Have crushed many an opponent---complete will continue it.

Most definitely have been crushed by Platinum but got a few wins in---complete will slow loses to Platinum.

Always happy to assist any player other than the ONE that I blocked. Will not offer them anything other than beat down ! ---complete 

Have met and continue to meet people from all over-  I do wish I was attending a certain event in Europe .---work in progress

Almost always have fun--Win or Lose if not set me straight please !---89%-93% working on it( NOT A SAINT)   :)  ;)  :D

rgillis783 did not make Platinum unfortunately ! The long struggle stopped at Gold for them. That was maintained -Gold rank --which is an accomplishment considering the old timer played over 10 match's a day  ! As of today I am pleased to say another nice guy struck Platinum -- Adh Loach 1. No new goals ---- just some fun !  :) Thanks to all in the Stratego community !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users