OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Have you guys&gals ever played Werewolf (Mafia) online?

This role playing game can be played excellently in a forum.

I have played and designed/modded many games. Some of them quite huge (the Harry Potter theme once attracted > 100 players).

For a simple "vanilla" game, 9, 13 or 17 players would be perfect. I could run a game with euro times (daytime = posting time from 09:00 AM to 21:00 for example), if there is enough interest.

Warning 1: emotions can run high in a werewolf game

Warning 2: do not show interest if real life does not allow you to dedicate at least 1h/day of your time to reading other people's posts and posting your own thoughts.

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#2 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

If this is "Wie is de mol"-Ultimate, then I'm in, Ouwesok. Huge fan.

And I claim the Trump mask.

Lo

#3 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Mafia is a role playing game with two teams - good (Town) and evil (Mafia).

In a standard (vanilla)13 player game the roles in the game are:

• 9 vanilla town
  • 1 town cop
  • 3 mafia

The mafia know each other and may communicate outside of the game thread. Everybody (Town+Mafia) posts in a single game thread.

The roles are randomly determined and sent to the players. The evil team (the Mafia) may start communicating directly devising their evil plans.

The town cop has a special ability: every night he may submit a name of a player and will learn if that player is mafia or town. This is a key role in the game. Before the game starts (night 0), directly after having received his/her role, a player may be peeked already by the cop. Then we start day 1.

During the day, people discuss who can be good or evil. People can vote. At the end of the day, the player with most votes is killed (lynched) and removed from the game. His/her role will be made public, so town will know whether they killed one of their own or if they lynched a baddie.

After a day, follows a night phase during which there may not be any posting. Usually, the game thread will be closed.

During the night, the Mafia team choose a player to kill. And again, the Town Cop choose a player to peek. This day/night cycle continues until all mafia has been eliminated (town wins) or until there is an equal amount of mafia and town (mafia wins).

In the beginning of the game, there is hardly any information available and finding a mafia is quite hard. But as the game progresses, more information becomes available and through analyzing interactions you can draw conclusions. For example, when a mafia is lynched, you will want to read his posts, because he has been lying/misleading all the time and you may be able to find some useful information.

When the Cop is killed, you must absolutely read his posts and try to distill what information he had available.

As a vanilla town player, you must try to interact and accumulate information.

As a cop, you want to steer the other players to lynch a certain player or to not lynch a certain player - the ones that you have hard game info on. You must not be too obvious, or the mafia team will nightkill you and your vital ability is lost for the rest of the game

As a mafia, you must try and lynch townspeople. During the night, you try and find out who is the Cop and playing with extra information. You need to find and kill him ASAP.

Many things can happen in  a game and many strategies exist. For vanilla town it is important to make some posts that a Cop would make (for example last night, I peeked player X = town), to provide cover for the real cop. If you are nightkilled and the Cop survives another night, you did a good job for the team!

#4 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

OK but is Trump good or evil then? We will all know after it's all been cleared up I guess.

I wouldn't expect 13 players though. Maybe to start with the Small edition. You know, a Netherlands Second edition, not America first.

Or make a Small America one, 9 players tops or less if at all possible (take 2 roles yourself if feasible?!). Expect only newbees.

Lo

#5 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

The mod knows all the roles and no players can assume multiple roles. 9 would be playable, less is not playable.

#6 Tilor

Tilor

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

I have played this before in another forum. I don't have time to play, but I will say it is a fun activity for those who have never tried it. I recommend it!

Top Rating reached 6/8/18 - 716 Platinum Spy 

Current Rating as of 6/10/18 -687 Gold Marshal

#7 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

Tilor, we do not need to do this right now at the spot. As I said to TC this week it's remarkable how all at the same time tournaments come popping up from about all our Staff bodies. It's like the dead come walking. From zero tourneys to plenty. So people will be getting busy with tournamentgames. I don't know what the minimum timeschedule is for a game like this but you can always be kept on a waiting list in order for minimum requirements to be met some time in the future of 2018??

Lo

#8 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:33 AM

I've never played this game but it sounds interesting.  I'd be interested in trying it. but I'm not sure my schedule would permit.  I can usually squeeze an hour in a day but it would usually be in a single slice.  I'm rarely available to post all throughout a day.  It sounds like that's what you need.  

• Lonello likes this

#9 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

With the amount of response I get itt, I'm not even going to try. I'm better off recruiting players in the local cemetary

Edited by OuweSok, 22 December 2017 - 08:15 AM.

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#10 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

I would play.
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#11 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

I would too. I've played mafia before

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#12 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 841 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

I would play as well

If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#13 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

I played this in real life one time. Its called ''weerwolven'' in Dutch if I remember correctly. I might want to join too. How long will the game take? Is it only played by posting on forum?

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#14 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

Have you guys&gals ever played Werewolf (Mafia) online?

This role playing game can be played excellently in a forum.

I have played and designed/modded many games. Some of them quite huge (the Harry Potter theme once attracted > 100 players).

For a simple "vanilla" game, 9, 13 or 17 players would be perfect. I could run a game with euro times (daytime = posting time from 09:00 AM to 21:00 for example), if there is enough interest.

Warning 1: emotions can run high in a werewolf game

Warning 2: do not show interest if real life does not allow you to dedicate at least 1h/day of your time to reading other people's posts and posting your own thoughts.

Maybe you can entice Nortrom and the MT to play this similar game with you: https://boardgamegee...4/secret-hitler :)

Edited by TemplateRex, 19 February 2018 - 12:21 AM.

#15 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Why don't we try this with 9?

• Don_Homer, Lonello and Unladen Swallow like this

#16 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

I'll show one below that's both simple, short (7 players) and balanced.

I'd also recommend a longer period for each phase. Perhaps 5 days for a 'Day phase' and 2 days for a 'Night Phase'. So it's a 1 week Cycle. 

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 04 March 2018 - 05:58 PM.

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#17 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

That's a boring setup though. I'll show one more....

2 Mafia

3 Town Citizens

2 Town Masons

The two masons know who each other are, but do not know who is town citizen or who is mafia.

The two mafia know who each other are, but likewise do not know who is mason or town citizen.

The Town Citizens and Town Masons are all town aligned and have to defeat the mafia by voting them during the day.

----

This game mode would start on a day phase. The mafias and Masons will be told via PM who their partner is. 

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 04 March 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#18 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

I say let's do it.

#19 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

I say let's do it.

But where is our host, ouwesok?

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#20 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

Wassup Stratego br0thers, remember me?

I see this never took off.

For those that are interested in playing a game of werewolf/mafia, I am running a The Wire themed game on my primary forum, twoplustwo.com (a poker forum).

If you don't mind playing a game with a bunch of people you do not know, sign up by clicking the image. You will obviously need to create a twoplustwo account.

Currently I have 54 players. All players in this game will be Vigilantes, meaning, you may choose a player to kill at night. So the game is not going to take long, despite its size.

The game starts on monday. It has been designed and will be modded by yours truly.

uDUrRPY.jpg

• Don_Homer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users