Photo

Why is Stratego at the Popularity it is?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

I for one don't care for the new app at all, and many others share my view for several reasons:

1) childish animations

2) inability to create QA setups

3) inability to chat with friends

4) No personal achievements

Take a look at this topic, quite a landslide vote to say the least, the only person voting in favor of the "new app" was its creator :)

forum.stratego.com/topic/3299-new-app-vs-old-app/

http://forum.strateg...app-vs-old-app/

It's getting a bit off track to discuss the new app, but although Fairway is correct in 2), 3), & 4) (and 1? :)), the new app does have some distinct advantages over the old app (which is no longer availble) and even the website version that one can play on his phone with the Puffin browser.  The shape of a phone screen lends itself well to the taller shaped pieces and, although they take some getting used to, I'm comfortable playing on either venue at this time.  Often I feel the Puffin version is a bit glitchy so I stick with the new app, but sometimes you just have to have the good old website game again. Puffin saves the day then!

Anyway, on the new app the graveyards are the biggest thing.  You couldn't see them on the old app and you can't see them very well on Puffin, at least without getting out of theatre mode, which a somewhat dangerous thing to do during a game.  In the new app the graveyards are huge and easily and quickly readable.  But be careful about where you are playing!  In the website game the graveyards have yours on the right and opponent's on the left.  In the new app this is reversed so that yours are on the left and the opponent's on the right.  You just have to be careful about where you're playing.  

I think the popularity of stratego is not tremendously affected by the new app, but it is just another of those many things that are odd.  You can go to stratego.com and play one game; then play on the app and get a completely different looking game.

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#22 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:29 AM

I for one don't care for the new app at all, and many others share my view for several reasons:

1) childish animations

2) inability to create QA setups

3) inability to chat with friends

4) No personal achievements

Take a look at this topic, quite a landslide vote to say the least, the only person voting in favor of the "new app" was its creator :)

forum.stratego.com/topic/3299-new-app-vs-old-app/

http://forum.strateg...app-vs-old-app/

Fairway, I wasn't stating if the app is good or bad. Better or worse then the old one. I don't know what the old app looked like and I couldn't care less. What I want is the Stratego player base to go up, And living in the 21st century. The best way to recruit players is via the app + what i mentioned above.  You are comparing the old vs new all these players we can recruit will only be seeing the new. (Edit) I play on the app and it is perfectly fine Imo. It gives you the platform to play Stratego on and that's all that really matters :P

Edited by Fks, 24 December 2017 - 04:33 AM.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#23 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:34 AM

Fks, I'm afraid I'm not a high-tech kind of guy who doesn't do Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, etc. But it sounds like a superb idea.  Unfortunately, I don't have the best idea for getting a superb idea across to the Jumbo folks.  The best possibility would be a super delegation of Dutch speaking players to approach Jumbo about addressing some of the concerns we have for what exists and improving in other ways, possibly.  I have been told by a high ranking Dutch player that this indeed did happen several months ago, to no avail, unfortunately, at least at that time. Perhaps an email campaign to customer care would help.  We Americans are on the outside here, for sure.

That is a shame :/ 

#24 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

In my opinion, the new app is not a good representation of the game itself especially among veteran plays. The pieces are displayed as flash cards- it looks like a child's game. I would be embarrassed for anyone to see me playing it.

4 months until flash goes bye-bye

#25 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 3,965 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

My take on this topic

sOoQsuN.png

#26 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

bwaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaa grumpy player

priceless

You are teh funny

Also you are sad and pathetic.

What I was missing in this blog post of your is one of the main reasons that stratego is at the popularity where it is: because the best players have the charismatic value of a peanutbutter jelly jar and share their knowledge as much as Fort Knox shares its gold.

I have learned a lot of stuff in 6m of stratego and none of the material that helped me was yours. Youtube videos, various old forum posts and game comments from awesome people like HERE.

I challenge you to produce a better educational video series than my Broken Pieces and if you do, I will self ban.

• OVERLORD likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#27 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

as much as Fort Knox shares its gold.

This part gets a like, sure. Priceless to the letter.

But Ouwesok, truly, why don't you simply go to Nortrom University? It's just a 6 year class, 48 hours a week, TOPS, and you'll learn all the things you mention here. Trust me. You will. No reason complaining about it. Just 10.000 dollars entree fee... fake money anyway as Fort Knox will proof to you. This is a true story. Maybe an alternative one. But still factual. It really is. Believe me. It is.

In the meanwhile, just stay Gold like me. Platinum is SOOOO overrated. Gold has got all the nice appliances, all the good mines. It really does. Check the latest PR6000 calculations. They're genuine. They really are.

PS

Fks, don't let Gary fool you. He's not a digibete like the rest of MT, he's our topnotch high-techman. He's even got this thing called a 'smartphone' and plays Stratego on it. He really does.

Lo

#28 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

viuhYXD.jpg

• Nortrom, Fairway, OVERLORD and 4 others like this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#29 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 3,965 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

This has just earned you a place in my fan club :D .

sOoQsuN.png

#30 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 4,433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

viuhYXD.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. Amazing.  :P

#31 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:14 AM

PS

Fks, don't let Gary fool you. He's not a digibete like the rest of MT, he's our topnotch high-techman. He's even got this thing called a 'smartphone' and plays Stratego on it. He really does.

The fact that I have a phone and play Stratego on it makes me the "topnotch high-techman", Lo?  Why did you undersell it?  I'm the best computer whiz there is!  Why, I can even disassemble your computer piece by piece and replace the guts in the guts of your laptop blindfolded.  But let me assure everyone I won't let this super high tech talent of mine go to my head!  I'll still be my same old Sadistic humble self with a woman in every port.  I'm the best there is....

Now, if I could only figure out Facebook.  :D  

• Fks likes this
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#32 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

That's right, Gary. This is a true story. Within MT you are certainly the superior whizkid. You're still famous with KingJur for testing out the app in Scouts. None of the Mods have Facebook, we'll leave that with Zuckberg, who is supposedly the next POTUS. This thing called Instagram I do not even know what that is but likely some place to sell fireworks on and very hot these last days of the year. Twitter is very simple: you just surf to Donald Trump and you'll find all the tweets you need in the world. Don't need to have it yourself. There's no problem there.

I didn't know you had a woman in every computerport though, but every day you learn something new. You only see them when (dis)assembling?

viuhYXD.jpg

Yes, that's the one, Ouwesok. Press the button. Trust me. It'll be huge. It really will.

Lo

#33 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

Twitter is very simple: you just surf to Donald Trump and you'll find all the tweets you need in the world.

Whenever I go on twitter i spend an hour just reading all the libtards comments, Probably the most amusing thing :P

• Nortrom and Fairway like this

#34 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:46 AM

libtards? Never heard that one before. But it is amusingly biting. ;) Must be a newfangled millennials thing. Are the conservatives also called "contards"? :)
  • Losermaker and Fks like this
Posted Image

#35 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

libtards? Never heard that one before. But it is amusingly biting. ;) Must be a newfangled millennials thing. Are the conservatives also called "contards"? :)

No nothing that nice :) usually starts with racist, white supremacist, Nazi along those lines.

Edited by Fks, 04 January 2018 - 10:25 AM.

• Nortrom and Fairway like this

#36 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 4,433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Libtard = liberal + retard

No nothing that nice :) usually starts with racist, white supremacist, Nazi along those lines.

So true though, LOL, but of course you can't forget about xenophobic, sexist, misogynist, ect..

• Nortrom and Fks like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users