#41 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

The Ukraine world championship was one of the most memorable ones ever. Two things spring to mind for me:

1 The location, it was held in the Military Academy and some cadets of the army played in the tournament

2 The World Championship Barrage Tournament held in the park in the evenings in the true spirit of how the Ukrainians learned how to play Stratego. - They were recruited from chess players in the park that didn' t quite like the blue and red pieces are first, but eventually got intrigued by the magic of the game.

#42 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

I knew something was missing. I'll add the barrage tournament at a later moment of time into the original post :)

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog post

#43 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

The Ukraine world championship was one of the most memorable ones ever. Two things spring to mind for me:

1 The location, it was held in the Military Academy and some cadets of the army played in the tournament

2 The World championship barrage tournament held in the park in the evenings in the true spirit of how the Ukrainians learned how to play Stratego. - They were recruited from chess players in the park

Browsing kleier.net, it seems that in 2008 there were quite a few reasonably strong Ukrainian players (Pavel Shiling especially, who got a T4 in the 2004 live WC but appears to have quit the game after the 2008 WC), but that the current generation is pretty bad (rating wise at least) compared to NL/GB/DE/GR players. I can't find any player who competes outside of the Ukraine. 

Regarding chess: are there any strong (former) chess players in the current Stratego community? I wonder how good someone like Loek van Wely (strong chess GM, also recreationally active as a poker player) would be at Stratego? 

I have a background in international draughts (played in the Netherlands, former Soviet republics and Africa). There is a variant called Frisian draughts which is mainly played in (guess) Friesland (northern part of the Netherlands) with a very small player community. To generate publicity, they organized a mixed event with an honors group (of strong Frisian draughts players) and an invitational group with e.g. the international world champion Georgiev and chess top GM Ivanchuk. 

Maybe as a side event to the live WC this summer, it might be an idea to have a small invitational group of say a few chess / draughts GMs, together with a few strong Stratego players?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#44 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

As a reminder of the Kiev World Championship I got a very special present made by the Federation. It is hanging in my office so I can see it ever day.

Will try to link a picture to it, there were only a few made for the people that were assisting in making this tournament happen.

The other thing that Kiev taught us, is that it is possible to think outside the box and made the game grow in new countries as long as you are willing to try

A few years later the first world championship was held in a country called Greece :)

#45 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Mh879xD.jpg

#46 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

What you see in the picture:

Honory membership of the Ukrainian Stratego association, in the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

On the right side some special boxes:

On top: a beige European box of Stratego. Jumbo about 1960?

Below that : my first box of Stratego I got for my birthday when I much younger.

Below that, right side: a travel Stratego box that may have travelled to the Ukraine the first time we went there by train

Then there are under that 2 copies of a very special and very old Stratego game made in the early part of the previous century. Unfortunately their state is not mint and one of them misses some pieces.

• Don_Homer and rgillis783 like this

#47 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=BIeRcOeIAQk

A video about WC 2008 Ukraine. Worth to watch :)

• TemplateRex likes this

#48 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

Browsing kleier.net, it seems that in 2008 there were quite a few reasonably strong Ukrainian players (Pavel Shiling especially, who got a T4 in the 2004 live WC but appears to have quit the game after the 2008 WC), but that the current generation is pretty bad (rating wise at least) compared to NL/GB/DE/GR players. I can't find any player who competes outside of the Ukraine. 

Regarding chess: are there any strong (former) chess players in the current Stratego community? I wonder how good someone like Loek van Wely (strong chess GM, also recreationally active as a poker player) would be at Stratego? 

I have a background in international draughts (played in the Netherlands, former Soviet republics and Africa). There is a variant called Frisian draughts which is mainly played in (guess) Friesland (northern part of the Netherlands) with a very small player community. To generate publicity, they organized a mixed event with an honors group (of strong Frisian draughts players) and an invitational group with e.g. the international world champion Georgiev and chess top GM Ivanchuk. 

Maybe as a side event to the live WC this summer, it might be an idea to have a small invitational group of say a few chess / draughts GMs, together with a few strong Stratego players?

The competition from Ukraine, I must admit, was not something to underestimate. Not having any experience against them definitely makes games harder aswell. The Ukrainian team won the country teams.

I know that Erik van den Berg has a decent chess rating, last I heard 2200ish. You of course are more than welcome to invite some chess players to try Stratego! :D. I know some other Stratego players that also play chess.

No promises will be made, but it is something we could definitely look into. If you like, I can also bring you in touch with the right contacts inside SBN to try and make such a thing happen?

Edit: not sure if this 22xx rating is online or not.

#49 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,070 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

That would be great if it was done! (although I probably wont be there)

I also play chess but I'm rated around 1850 FIDE, although i believe my current level to be a bit higher and still improving. Online I'm 1900-2000 depending on the site .

From greek players i know of only one that plays as well: Bizevr.

Edited by roeczak, 21 February 2018 - 11:04 PM.

• Don_Homer likes this
Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)

#50 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

That would be great if it was done! (although I probably wont be there)
I also play chess but I'm rated around 1850, although i believe my current level to be a bit higher and still improving.
From greek players i know of only one that plays as well: Bizevr.

I can attest to that :) A little bit ago I maintained a 1800 rating but now with out playing much chess I have fallen quite a bit. Stratego way more fun IMO then chess.
  • Don_Homer and rgillis783 like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#51 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

I'm not really as good as at Stratego, but if you'd like to play some games of chess (you can even broadcast/publish them ;)), let me know

Just promise me not to play 1. h4 to humiliate :D

#52 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,070 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=XhMHeHV9EOM

If anyone wants a similar match all they have to do is send me a PM :)

Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)

#53 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:42 PM

Added the barrage tournament :) and pics

#54 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for putting this blog together Nortrom. As mentioned before, I would also welcome some blogs on strategy/tactics.

#55 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:34 PM

It has been a while, but the newest post can be found here. It's about organizing live tournaments and more specifically about the live WC 2018.

Next topic: Unknown - Probably something about the WC 2018 :)

• GaryLShelton, Napoleon 1er, Dobby125 and 3 others like this

#56 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

That last one is a very good one. Thanks for all the preparation
  • Nortrom likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#57 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:03 AM

New post is up. Topic:  WC Naarden 2018 - Day 1

This'll be part #1 of serie of 3.

• GaryLShelton, TemplateRex and mogul like this

#58 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

New post has been added. Part 2/3 of the WC 2018 serie.

WC Naarden 2018 - Day 2

• Napoleon 1er, Dobby125, OVERLORD and 3 others like this

#59 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,809 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

If anyone has requests or suggestions on any subjects to be covered in the near future, let me know. I will not write about game theory.

#60 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

... Stratego in the modern digital era, the use of videos of top players games to teach techniques and comment strategies as training for less skilled players
  • TemplateRex likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users