rgillis783

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

Here are some of the many quotes from Movies. Some might find funny, applicable, offensive . I did not write them just posting them .

We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Wrong! Conan! What is best in life.To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear   the lamentations of their women.

That is good! That is good.

I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

Do you want to live forever?     

For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.

Sorry (MT) was supposed to post in off post off topic-move it please

Edited by rgillis783, 04 December 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#2 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:41 AM

It sounds like you’re talking about just the movies.  I thought those were fun but not great.  Schwarzenegger’s not a great actor but he’s usually entertaining and was as Conan.  He was a pale shadow of the character from Robert E. Howard’s original stories though.  If you haven’t checked those out I highly recommend them.

#3 rgillis783

rgillis783

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Darth, You are correct these were pulled from movies which is  are played over and over on TV these days. I did read a book from his work a long time ago in a galaxy far far away : )  I pulled this next piece from web for anyone else interested in this genre.

The 12 book series published by Ace that attributes the authors as Howard, L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter is an excellent start. The series includes stories by Howard that were published and unpublished, and the other two authors finished partially written manuscripts and outlines and ideas left by Howard. Howard had a grand chronology in place from early on, including maps, but he did not publish the stories in chronological order. The 12 books, in order, are: 1 Conan (with a fabulous Frazetta cover) 2 Conan of Cimmeria 3 Conan the Freebooter 4 Conan the Wanderer 5 Conan the Adventurer 6 Conan the Buccaneer 7 Conan the Warrior 8 Conan the Usurper 9 Conan the Conquerer 10 Conan the Avenger 11 Conan of Aquilonia 12 Conan of the Isles

As for other works I have not noticed that the authors totally respect the original Howard vision. Perhaps some do. I would not consider works outside of these 12 books to be canonical.

I would also point out that movies differ from books. Hollywood loves to tweak a great book. If my memory is correct in movie ,Conan enters a tomb and is startled by head falling from body. In book body is reanimated and they do battle. If I am wrong let me know, if I am correct please let me know . Memory

is failing these days. If Any one else can say were movie/ book differ speak up. Thanks again Darth Remark for reminding me that people still love good book. Artist Frank Frazetta has some fantastic work also for those interested in the visual.

Edited by rgillis783, 06 December 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#4 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:30 AM

Yes that book series you mention is long out of print.  There are plenty of other collections still in print though and new ones come up all the time.  A testament to how great REH’s writing was!  It still holds up 80 years after it was written.  I didn’t realize either of the Schwarzenegger movies were adapted from books.  I’ve only actually read a few Conan stories.  All of them were great though.  A few years ago I splurged for a hardbound collection of most of REH’s fantasy stories, including all of his Conan stuff.  I hope to read it all one day, but haven’t found the time yet.

I’m a big fan of Frazetta’s art too.   :) 

• rgillis783 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users