#1 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,080 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

Dear Greek community. This Announcement thread is going to be the single and one topic in English here. MT has been witnessing some vile attacks forth and back so felt the need to speak in, which is for this topic.

What is most important here MT finds an active forum of the upmost importance. Well, at least we're given that. We do not mind arguments or controversies on the forum.

What may not be posted are nasty posts like accusing people of being liars, witchhunting or threatening for lawsuits. If things being said have bearing at all with this site, you are hereby being asked to use the Report center and we'll examine if there's genuine proof presented.

Again, things concerning this forum. Much of what is said here have nothing to do with playing the game but are mostly politics. It's best to do that between yourselves and not on this forum. Most of the disputes are about the Greek Federations so we like to see things resolved there, but outside the forum. We were glad there seemed to be a coalition formed just last month, but now that goal seems far fetched again.

With this Announcement it should be clear that we will start enforcing the forumrules strictly. That means WarningPoints will be implemented when crossing the line. It is an anonymous warning, so regular members won't be able to see it. Just Staffmembers. It leads to a shortlived ban where the member has to accept the forumrules again before being able to proceed.

That is a hard button to push as there will be scrutiny after. In the final end when again crossing the line a ban is imminent and you will only be able to play on the gameside, but not post on the forumside. We don't like to ban anyone here. MT has hardly had to ban people on the forumside -ever-.

Hopefully after a cool down period things get back to normal. It's probably best every club has its own thread and one writes in his/her own club's thread but that's up to any individual.

So, concluding. If you have objective proof or a genuine complaint which is about this forum and you want to make a formal case, use the Report center (simply hit "Report") and we will view at the case impartially. We have a good translator within MT so you may even do that in Greek but we prefer it's in English.

Whatever cases there are, they should be dealt with like that. We have been asked to skype, phone, email. We do not do that as that is all going beyond the forum. We have the Reportcenter for this. We will be opening a PM thread for the specific case for you then. There are cases open right now too.

Soon there's more to follow but this is it for now. Again, we like an active forum so please continue to discuss subjects, have arguments and controversies, but do it nicely, according to the forumrules everyone of us has accepted.

• KARAISKAKIS, Nortrom, Aris1970 and 2 others like this
Lo

#2 Nortrom

Nortrom

Captain

• WC Online Team
  • 948 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Does this also apply to other areas of the forum, or only where the "greek community" is concerned?

• Lonello likes this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

Follow the 3rd Online World Championship: http://forum.strateg...d-championship/

#3 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,080 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

I'll take the liberty to share a little secret with you then, Nortrom. I'd proposed to make such an announcement many months ago forumwide when we'd been given extra powers by Admin. Ignition was one British and one Dutch guy making amok, and back in the day we had one Belgium guy before too getting loads of slacks.

Then when Theo came with his formal Announcement-threads for TC in August, I again pleaded to do the same and copy that template as such threads give perfect means for communications with the community.

I never had majority for such a comm though but now things had spiraled out of control in this Greek forumpart there is support to make one 'general warning' if you will that we can, and will, enforce now. So imho, you are perfectly right if assuming we need to have such an Announcement thread in the general area as well and that proposal is right back on the table now.

The Greek have helped us out here so I for one am grateful for that. The other nice thing is you dropping by this forumpart having a post, as that adds to the number one thing: an active forum!

Lo

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,569 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Guys, I hid a post of Overlord today because we can't have name-calling. If two people start talking, you have to watch the tempers flaring. Once someone falls into calling someone else a liar, or that they have perpetrated scams to deceive, the conversation has ground to a halt and nothing more can be accomplished. Go ahead and rattle your sabers a little bit, have your serious discussions, but try to solve your differences without name calling. Words once said are hard to take back.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

If i want to make a complaint about MT where do i write it to?

What is most important here MT finds an active forum of the upmost importance. Well, at least we're given that. We do not mind arguments or controversies on the forum.

The MT wishes to take actions against vile attacks bad language etc, so they lock down the thread that permits to all the Hellenic community to express their opinion about any subject concerns Hellenic stratego. When a Greek player wants to say something publicly (without insulting anyone), he/she cannot because the MT hides the posts with the excuse that they belong to the "γαλανολευκα νεα" thread which as i said is locked. 

So the way i see it you are trying to control the Hellenic forum by not allowing posts concerning vital Hellenic stratego issues which should be resolved.

Do you have any notion what freedom of speech is?

Do you know you are acting like dictators?

Do you think we are not going to react to such a vile attack to our rights?

Unlock ASAP the thread "γαλανολευκα νεα" and stop censoring our opinions.

So If i want to make a complaint about MT where do i write it to?

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,102 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hi Don Mitsos,

Don't worry the topic is not intended to be locked forever. All the contrary we want to unlock it as soon as possible just after a few verifications. The reason is a formal report we have received stating horrible things are happening in that thread. We are verifying and possibly some posts will remain hidden but we completely agree with you with regard to freedom of speech. The only limiration is abusive behaviours.
Looking forward for your understanding. For time being we will consider that your description of MT as dictators is just an unfortunate typing mistake made in the heat of the moment. I hope fun of our preferred game prevails here on any futile allegations.

Note that if you think justified to raise a claim against MT, as per our rules we cannot judge cases where we are involved. So only possibility i see is writing to customer care. But they will need founded reasons.

Looking forward for your patience. I'm confident we shall be able to unlock soon.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Moderating team list has 7 admins that never appear and have left the site to a group of (volunteer) players(MT). From this non-existence, I think most problems arise.

I wonder who the owners of the site are, and why is it so hard to have here an active admin who is a bit knowledgeable about the game. I also wonder how someone owns a site and is not interested in improving and progressing since there are so many active accounts.

If at some point these ΜΤ"volunteers" decide to resign without appointing replacements, only by sending a message to the admins and customer care, I really wonder what will happen.

Greetings

• GaryLShelton and Lonello like this

#8 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Sergeant

• Greek Tournament Manager
  • 419 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Moderating team,
regarding your recent desicion to lock the topic GALANOLEYKA NEA we would like to inform you that we intend to announce a tournament in the next days. Apparently, the most appropriate topic to post this is the topic you locked, so we kindly request that you unlock it as soon as possible.
  • Aris1970 likes this
Winning isn 't everything, but wanting to win is.

#9 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

@ Napoleon 1er

There is no excuse for keeping the Hellenic community silent nor censoring it can be tolerated. Find a solution about it (a thread that allows people to freely express their opinion is an idea) or unlock "γαλανολευκα νεα".

I don't agree with the hiding of posts either, regardless of what is written. You can easily punish the person who makes the offensive post but to hide his/her post is totally authoritarian. Scripta manent!!!!

As for the dictators, i never called you that. I just wondered whether you were aware that your actions were despotic. Sometimes we don't realize what we are doing unless someone else point it out to us.

@ cflag

There is no doubt that MT is trying to do the best for our preferred game but sometimes they are overzealous which leads to wrong actions. I don't think it is bad to point out their mistakes to them because that is how progress is made, by learning from your mistakes.

#10 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,102 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

I'm pleased to announce that the required topic has been unlocked. We look forward to see it used for its intended purpose which is discussions linked to online stratego promotion. This forum is intended for all stratego fans from all over the world and shall ensure that fun is at the center of any discussion. So for the good sake of this thread we invite you to pull off any discussions that are involving personal considerations not necessarily related to stratego.

I appreciate you confirm MT are no dictators but I have to smile when you say we are despotes ... as far as I know these are synonyms ... still I'm convinced you do not mean it ... we are all only positive minded volunteers who wish to dedicate some of our time to service stratego.com for free, nothing else. if you really want to accuse us as such please raise a formal complaint to customercare ... and make sure you have all evidence ready to support your case ... they can be very nasty when somebody makes false accusations...
  • KARAISKAKIS, Aris1970, Master Mind and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#11 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,080 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Napoleon is probably referring to the sevenseas incident but that had to do with faking evidence. I'm sure Don Mitsos won't do any of that nor will anyone else. But Napoleon is right. There is nothing wrong with locking a topic for a while when things are very heaten, or as Gary said hiding a post. We as MT do that all over the forum for years now. It is in any Mod's prerogative powers to make such a call, then he is hold accountable by the rest of MT for that action. Here, we decided after a cool down period to unlock again. If one member wants the post Gary hid be unhidden, one can always use the Reportcenter and request it to us. It's all as simple as that.

If this makes us despotes then sure, we are that, but we're at least impartial despotes. Admin has given us these prerogative powers to use. With the above Announcement we say we will use them if needed, too. Ofcourse Admin can always review if the actions that we take are correct. We've got a broad Moderatorpanel here on which everybody is monitored. So they see everything we've done. We can see a snippet of it too, but Admin has full control ofcourse. After all, as cflag said, we're just a bunch of silly volunteers here at MT, spending our free time to this forum.

Lo

#12 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Lonello is correct. This is a totally different case where no forgery is made. Personally i would never forge anything, as i consider i am ethical and immoral actions does not suit me.

Even though the evidence for absolutistic actions are clear, I will not raise an issue to the admins. I think you are doing well with your "duties" and some unfortunate mistakes does not undermine your total work. 

Next time though be very careful before proceeding in analogous acts. Fundamental rights of the players are not to be bargained no matter the excuse.

#13 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,080 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

I will you tell you a little secret I above told Nortrom too, Don. You were number 1 for being asked to become an MT-member :o :rolleyes:. Fat chance you'd wish that now I know B), but yes, we trusted your impartiality and did see your perfect English and fine thinking in cases a lot. We could use a 6th hand in MT but then Admin left for months and it seemed of no use to ask you so we forgot all about it.

As I argued with replying to Nortrom too, we need a level playing field. All Greeks are equal, and they are also no different from other communities. Just check last week's hide here http://forum.strateg...ielcos-victory/ and witness again how ugly the Dutch may speak from time to time to one other. Gary closed that topic off too. Would I have done that? No, and some other in MT neither. But after it's been done, we contemplate if the action is to be reversed. And we could all live with Gary's lock.

So that's how we work here. Impartiality is top priority. We hold Freedom of Speech on top too but some of MT may use their prerogative powers earlier than the other. Probably a Dutch man like me will do it much later than an American and allow a lot more, but it's all within the compounds we've been given by Admin. Again, you are free to test that. Have Admin review us, it's all in plain sight in our Modpanel. There's full and neutral transparancy here.

Lo

#14 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Lo, i think you have misunderstood my intentions. As i said earlier i think you are doing a good job with your "duties" but sometimes you (some of you at least) are carried away as you have already admitted. 

I imagined we Greeks couldn't be the only ones fighting with each other but we are surely trying to find a solution even a temporal one. That is what MT's actions deprived us from. 

As for the MT position, i had made the decision not to participate so vigorously in the forum because i was too frustrated with the aliases issue which stays unresolved. Now i think i am over it and accepted that most people occupy multiple accounts for their own reasons even when they know that this is prohibited. In the time being though i wish to spend my available time for stratego games. In the future i might be available, it is a matter of timing so feel free to ask. After all you will never know the answer if you don't ask the question.

#15 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

@ cflag

There is no doubt that MT is trying to do the best for our preferred game but sometimes they are overzealous which leads to wrong actions. I don't think it is bad to point out their mistakes to them because that is how progress is made, by learning from your mistakes.

I agree with you.  However, I find it very hard to change many of the unpleasant things in this forum .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users