• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

I can play in approximately 20 minutes

I am ready to destroy u again! 

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#162 OVERLORD.

OVERLORD.

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 639 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

Im coming noobsss
  • KissMyCookie likes this
STRATEGO CAPTAINS CLUB ~ the strongest team of Greece

#163 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

Hey guys after some consideration I have decided I wont be live streaming anymore and my uploads of game if any will be very rare in occurrence. I hope the videos I have posted will inform people of Stratego.com and maybe someone could have learnt or enjoyed.

Thanks Fks.

#164 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:54 PM

In two words...

That sucks!  :angry:

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#165 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:02 PM

For however many viewers you have during a live stream, let us say you have 20...have 20 people made it to platinum riding on your coat-tails? Or...have there been 20 new players to platinum who have beaten you because they studied your videos.

Your contributions are tremendous, Fks, and if you are bowing out because you are afraid people will over study your style, then I have no real respect for that decision...however...if you are truly bowing out because of personal matters in your life which have nothing to do with Stratego...then be well and may peace be in your mind.

By the way, if Maj. Nel is reading this...if you have decided to stop posting videos because you got beaten by -Sniper- and you are afraid that too many people can study your style and beat you...that is a pathetic cop out. If, however, you are bowing out because you feel you have reached your limit, and it has nothing to do with you losing your nerve...then peace be with you.

Based upon your farewell message...I am of the feeling that maybe you might be concerned about people stealing your ideas and outplaying you...that is something which you will have to reconcile...but no one else is like you...just as no one else is like Fks...just because you post videos does not mean that players will be able to play or think as both of you do.

In short...I get the feeling both of you are taking an easy way out. You both have so much to offer  this community, and by taking down your tent, packing up your things, and leaving...particularly as neither one of you have given a good and solid reason...this can be viewed as both of you leaving all of this community high and dry...

Sorry guys, but this is how I feel about these posts. This is NOT good news and it does not make me happy...ergo...there must be others here who will share in this disappointment.

KMC :mellow:

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#166 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:07 PM

@KMC: I wouldn't say that FKS and MN stopping posting (or posting less frequently) is pathetic. I do believe that posting the videos has made MN much stronger for two reasons: 1) if you commit to posting all videos, your motivation in such games increases and therefore your results, and 2) the feedback from strong opponents (Sniper) gives back much more than the single loss the previous videos yielded. Just keep mixing it up and fix the tiny tiny leaks that are still present. And please, let us enjoy :) Same for FKS. 

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#167 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:18 PM

@TemplateRex–I realize that no one here is beholden to making videos or to keep their practice alive if they choose to stop, but Maj. Nel published the following statement:

"It has become apparent to me that my set up fundamentals and tactics have spread too far in the stratego community. I did expect a leak when I created my channel, but I hadn't realised the extent to which other players have familiarised with my gamestyle until recently, when - Sniper - pointed it out very explicitly - and I thank him for that. So I'm done with my channel..."

Sorry, folks, but this is a cop-out. Just because someone talented was able to study and prepare for a match does not mean that others can follow suit. -Sniper- is highly talented and with a strong technique he has developed...with or with preparation, -Sniper- would give Maj. Nel a run for the money.

Both superb players (Fks and Maj. Nel) are free to leave for their own reasons...I am not convinced that they are leaving for the right reasons.

Sorry, TempRex...I am not with you on this one.

KMC :(

#168 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 840 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

KMC, I would take into consideration that both of these players are still fairly "new" to stratego. For both Nelson and Fks, they have alot of new goals they could reach in the future and whilst they are still fresh to the game, they have alot of motivation and competitive drive. If they feel that their video's are holding back their competitition, then it only makes sense to stop until they can reach their goals and perhaps they will re-post once they have been in it a bit longer. I am sure that people appreciate all that they have already done.

I thought about similar things (people studying my game) when I first decided to write the tutorials, but I have been playing 8 years now, and I feel like I have gotten my fun out of the game. I was ultra-competitive for my first 5-6 years, and loved nothing more than my free night off playing someone better than me and losing and then thinking about how I would get them next time. I don't have that same motivation now and I feel it's time to pass it on to the next up and coming players. I will be glad if someone begins to regularly defeat me, it means I have something to work at and that my tutorials have atleast helped someone. :)

Edited by Losermaker, 03 July 2018 - 11:30 PM.

• Master Mind, Lord Invader and Fks like this

#169 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

@Losermaker–I always appreciate hearing from you...you are one of my favorites. I have my reasons for disagreeing with you, and I do not care to say any more.

Both Fks and Major Nelson have contributed greatly to this site (so have you, and are continuing to do so via your tutorials)...I simply cannot feel positive towards Maj. Nel's reasons for stopping, and by his publishing his statement, it has (in my opinion) allowed Fks to make a decision that is not a good one...again, that is only my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your point of view, and as always, in your gentlemanly demeanor.

KMC

#170 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

I'm sorry Robert. It is more of I am simply not interested in posting my games any more. 

Feel free to challenge me or we can get on a call and speak over some tactics.

#171 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

Streaming a few ranked games. Taking down stream afterwards.

#172 OVERLORD.

OVERLORD.

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 639 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

N00B
  • Fks and UnladenSwallow like this
STRATEGO CAPTAINS CLUB ~ the strongest team of Greece

#173 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:47 PM

Due to some players asking me in private to revisit uploading Stratego games I have decided to upload a nice sweet game I just played vs Wogomite 

https://www.youtube....mZt2ntFGxU&t=0s

I hope you guys can enjoy and maybe learn something from this game. :) 

Make sure to like so more people can see Stratego on youtube!

• Dobby125, texaspete09, rgillis783 and 1 other like this

#174 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:45 PM

Im writing here as a new youtuber for stratego, do you think it's good to talk while recording, yes, no and why?

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#175 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

Im writing here as a new youtuber for stratego, do you think it's good to talk while recording, yes, no and why?

Seba! personally I don't mind watching any video of Stratego since I rather figure out by my self what's going on and what will happen next as practice. Ones with commentary though people enjoy more because you get a good view of what the person is thinking and that's cool :) There are some pros and cons of uploading games. Specifically you since your play style is a very innovative one that many might not know how to play against and it would be a great loss to show everyone how to beat you before you had a chance to really compete for a top spot. A pro is people can view your game and you can get many opinions and tips on how to play better from players which is always good.
For example I thought I played decent enough in this game whereas a top player who I asked to advise me on it pointed out a major flaw in the game I played and looked on how to help fix it so it's a trade off.
I wouldn't say not to upload Stratego videos but if your going to I would suggest using someone else's set up like Vincent de boar or one of Napoleons 1er set up and play that if you would like to share the game.
I thought of which set up I can upload to YouTube with out giving away so much info on how I play and be able to compete with a 1k rated player so I settled on a set up I used a couple of times but which I am fine not using again for a long time just due to the meta of play going on right now but if you feel your able to change your style and set ups from game to game you can do whatever you want. Obviously that's the best way to play eitherway but it's difficult to do that at a high level and win really only a handful of players can do that atm.
  • Don_Homer likes this

#176 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

I watch both types of video and prefer when people are talking while playing.  You want to know what they are thinking.  Why did they move a piece there?  Whey did they attack a piece?  Why didn't they attack a piece? What is their forward plan of attack? ...etc.   I don't like talking while recording though.  It really interferes with my concentration on the game and I don't play as well.  I prefer to add commentary after the game. 

If you explain how you are thinking while playing the game, some other top players will probably scout you.  You might not want to do that if you play in future tournaments.  For example:  You might attack with a +2 rank in a certain situation, but other times you might attack with a +1 rank.  If you mention it on video, players that scout you will remember information like that and use it against you in future games.  I think it's very hard for players to change their style of play, personal preferences and tendencies.  You just might give away too much information to your future opponents making it harder for you to win.   Even showing your games without commentary will give lots of information to your opponents.  I wish more elite players would post games with commentary, but I understand why they don't.

• Fks likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#177 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

I see

As FKS said, I am slowly coming on the top with a completely innovative and crazy style of play so I should keep this advantage to keep being this unpredictable player who can surprise players like Napo1. I personally edited my first videos from the tournament with written comments so it should be a good compromise. 

I can make some crazy setups quite easily if I take some time at home, but I would really be sad not to be able some of the other one... Do you think I should forget my videos, although I worked to edit them with some cool music ect..? I'm really proud of some games and would like to know what people think about, I ll release them after the tournament anyway but is it still a bad option?

• Don_Homer likes this

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#178 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

Don't over think it Napo 2. Videos and streams are great ! Yes some other player may try to gleam some insight from what you put out on YouTube --- so as Dobby has stated and many agree change ya setups. Mixing things up keeps ya game fresh. Put some stuff out there for folks. Will be early Holiday gift to community. ;)

• Dobby125 and TemplateRex like this

#179 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:17 AM

I see

As FKS said, I am slowly coming on the top with a completely innovative and crazy style of play so I should keep this advantage to keep being this unpredictable player who can surprise players like Napo1. I personally edited my first videos from the tournament with written comments so it should be a good compromise. 

I can make some crazy setups quite easily if I take some time at home, but I would really be sad not to be able some of the other one... Do you think I should forget my videos, although I worked to edit them with some cool music ect..? I'm really proud of some games and would like to know what people think about, I ll release them after the tournament anyway but is it still a bad option?

rgillis is right.  Don't overthink it.  I'd post the videos.  There's thousands and thousands of bronze/silver players that need lots of help to get better.  Pointing out Stratego patterns and obvious errors, tactics and strategies is very helpful.  Just try not to give away your preferences though.  Don't say things like "H4 is my favorite bomb location" or "I really like overloading colonels on the left side of the board".  The most important thing is to have fun with the videos.  Let your personality and love for the game show and people will eventually watch the content.  Also, don't forget to change your setups when you're playing somebody new.  And try not to show your favorite setups either.

• Napoleon 2ème likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#180 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:33 AM

My favourite bomb location is I4