Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:44 AM

Hey guys.

A few people started uploading videos to Youtube and I decided to get on the bandwagon and join them.

I just uploaded a quick short game as a test and would love to get your feedback! I commentated a bit to show you my thoughts as game progressed :) 

https://youtu.be/GbCkSDG2ZHQ

Comment your thoughts please on any mistake you think I made or any thing that caught your attention as odd of a certain move that was made :P enjoy!

Thank you Fks

• Dobby125, Silverhammer, ScottLafaro and 3 others like this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#2 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

Good to see more uploaders!

• Fks likes this

#3 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Nice game

lol at how bad he played though. When he finds your bomb at B2 he must insta capture that B1 piece with his captain and LOL at not protecting general with spy.

It was a good idea to capture that general, it practically assures he will go for your colonel when he finds it - to his demise.

I'm not sure if you always use the X formation in all 3 lanes (2 middle pieces diagonally and 2 scouting pieces diagonally), but that is kind of readable. Nothing to worry about when you play gold opponents, but vs platinum you need to mix it up a bit, I suppose.

• Fks likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#4 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

Nice game

lol at how bad he played though. When he finds your bomb at B2 he must insta capture that B1 piece with his captain and LOL at not protecting general with spy.

It was a good idea to capture that general, it practically assures he will go for your colonel when he finds it - to his demise.

I'm not sure if you always use the X formation in all 3 lanes (2 middle pieces diagonally and 2 scouting pieces diagonally), but that is kind of readable. Nothing to worry about when you play gold opponents, but vs platinum you need to mix it up a bit, I suppose.

What i get for lowering my rating :P

I was expecting to for marshal to be taken with spy but i had such a huge advantage at that point so i just said screw it in my head. his marshal was on wrong side of board with colonel and he blocked off his entire left side my right. which does let me control the rest of game :P

I happen to be a fan of the x formation i don't usually do this in all 3 lanes but i kinda went in to this game thinking i was going to win no matter what i do so i just went for that set up!

#5 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

What i get for lowering my rating :P

Why?

How?

What was your original rating when you started artificially lowering it?

#6 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

Why?
How?
What was your original rating when you started artificially lowering it?

Just a little bit btw regarding your xformation in game you see me mention what happened to my scouts in question so I don't usually put 6 scouts not my front 2 lines.

#7 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hey guys ! My little test video has over 100 views and in a few hours so i decided to upload another game! unfortunately my commentating got messed up until  40 minutes in to game but it was a very intense match so I decided to upload it.

https://youtu.be/MizVTYWAlnQ

A friendly match up between I and General Rascal thank you for game :)

on a second note i recently played unladen swallow which i will upload probably tomorrow!

enjoy leave your comments on how you thought game went!

thank you Fks

#8 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

Yes our game should be interesting. I had a VERY unlucky start (!!) but I managed to eventually get the win. 

I'll watch your general rascal game and let you know my thoughts

• Fks likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#9 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Yes our game should be interesting. I had a VERY unlucky start (!!) but I managed to eventually get the win. 

I'll watch your general rascal game and let you know my thoughts

More crazy then interesting lolz. please I value your opinion very high! 

#10 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

You played a decent games here.

4:30 there is no point sacrificing your sergeant here. Best move is to keep chasing the major. He would use the scout anyway. 

43:00 why not trade? it's ok to trade marshals here. Your objective would be to not trade colonels and then use your gen + col to sandwich other pieces. You make a mistake here (your opponent did too) and potentially allow him to trap that captain. 

46:21 moving down with the spy is a mistake, he can fork both the spy and major with his colonel. It was best to move up. 

52:13 It was better to keep your major stationary. GR would have had a chance to lotto otherwise (!!!) and potentially hit a flag, had he choose to sacrifice his miner instead. Luckily for you, he just gave up and conceded the game. 

Some general tips:

-You move too many pieces. Try not to move a piece unless you need to. The more pieces that are revealed the harder it is to defend

-Don't use miners as scouting pieces. You will need them in endgame. 

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 28 November 2017 - 11:59 PM.

• rgillis783 and Fks like this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#11 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:11 AM

You played a decent games here.

4:30 there is no point sacrificing your sergeant here. Best move is to keep chasing the major. He would use the scout anyway. 

43:00 why not trade? it's ok to trade marshals here. Your objective would be to not trade colonels and then use your gen + col to sandwich other pieces. You make a mistake here (your opponent did too) and potentially allow him to trap that captain. 

46:21 moving down with the spy is a mistake, he can fork both the spy and major with his colonel. It was best to move up. 

52:13 It was better to keep your major stationary. GR would have had a chance to lotto otherwise (!!!) and potentially hit a flag, had he choose to sacrifice his miner instead. Luckily for you, he just gave up and conceded the game. 

Some general tips:

-You move too many pieces. Try not to move a piece unless you need to. The more pieces that are revealed the harder it is to defend

-Don't use miners as scouting pieces. You will need them in endgame. 

Thanks aton for your feedback it means alot to me :

4:30 Sadly my commentary wasn't working at the time my reasoning for hitting scout. I thought he would simply just take sergeant with major and i wouldn't have chance to see the scout he also bought his scout to defend his major essentially i thought so why not hit.

43:00 I wanted to keep my spy advantage also i had mostly bombs and i doubt he would've lottoed in that spot later you see me change my mind bec he brings his colonel around the board.

46:21 I did not think to much in to it you see me playing with where to move spy for a few moments, I settled it next to bomb and a spot i don't mind his colonel to be.

52:13 I was sweating :)

as for your tips thank you i will try and work on this!

Fks

#12 General Rascal

General Rascal

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:59 AM

Nice game

I took a chance with my gen. I was up a major at the time and were in sort of a stalemate. Taking another major with my gen was a calculated risk. If he had his marsh in the middle or other side it would have worked. My back up was to fake a spy covering the gen. I was wrong on both counts but there was some thought to the maneuver.

#13 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

I took a chance with my gen. I was up a major at the time and were in sort of a stalemate. Taking another major with my gen was a calculated risk. If he had his marsh in the middle or other side it would have worked. My back up was to fake a spy covering the gen. I was wrong on both counts but there was some thought to the maneuver.

General that comment was written about a different game :) the one by ouwesok.

#14 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

heh I was commenting on another game. I think game you played well upto the point that Fks became defensive. He did not have much choice, you were up a major and had 3-4 more pieces. Then you started to return small pieces on the right wing and got nothing in return.

I would have chosen to sacrifice piece quality for information and maintain my small pieces advantage. If you attack on all three sides and make a single good guess and capture something that isn't recaptured, you are in really good shape. Even if you lose all exchanges, you maintain 3-4 pieces up, a big base that he must attack, all his pieces known and your marshal hidden.

#15 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

Hey as promised just uploaded my game between me and Unladen swallow! 

A crazy game to show anything is possible in stratego :P

https://youtu.be/hetPhOs7iVs

Enjoy the game leave a comment here or on video if you think I could have done anything differently or agree!

thank you Fks 

• tobermoryx likes this

#16 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

The way US plays just really makes me doubt if I get the clue of the Stratego game. It's like playing chess on 3 boards simultaneously.

This game really opens perspective. Many players I met surrender after loosing one or two big pieces. But playing this intelligent, slowly revealing the flags position, creates all kinds of opportunities. 

Great game. You put op a very decent fight! 

Edited by ScottLafaro, 30 November 2017 - 03:11 PM.

• tobermoryx and Fks like this

thus spoke zarathustra

#17 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

I viewed the game without sound at double speed, so I did not listen to your commentary.

The first thing I didn't like was when you found that captain on the left and went after it with another captain. That is a losing exchange for you, known captain vs unknown captain. Also, you are not interested in exchanges, you need to find out where that marshal is and should activate your colonels. His marshal cannot be everywhere. Just go with your colonel at that captain and try to trap it. If he recaptures with his marshal, you are still way ahead in material and your general and colonel are certainly getting into play catching something now, but there is a fair chance that you will just win a captain.

Capturing that colonel was good. Not sure why it took so long, you simply cannot lose with this exchange. You are a general up. If you lose to the marshal, you will be a colonel up with no generals on the board. That is the same thing.

After that you must include your colonel somewhere in that rush of majors and try to capture a major rather than exchange all of them. Every exchange helps him, you are up a general and colonel, but down 3-4 pieces and you need to get some back. Again, if you manage to e.g. capture a major with your colonel and he happens to recapture, you have lost NO MATERIAL. Instead of a colonel up, you will be a major up AND know where is marshal is.

As played, you exchanged everything and at the end his marshal captured your colonel, without even getting anything for it. It would have been a lot better to hand him over that colonel in the early game after just jamming into some random piece that moved.

• Dobby125, tobermoryx, ScottLafaro and 2 others like this

#18 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

Very good game and commentary .

When you got his colonel with Gen on the right you had an unknown colonel on the left near 3 moved pieces .If you'd hit those you either get 1 or 2 pieces for free or 1 piece and find Marshal . If it was the latter then your general can kill probably  2 more pieces on the right . That would have cut down his numerical advantage and then there are very few bluffs he can play.

• Dobby125, OuweSok and Fks like this

#19 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:01 AM

FKS made a very good move deciding to take the risk to capture my colonel at 9:05. When I moved my bluff out there is nothing that can really go wrong for him:

-He finds my marshal immediately (everyone has info, and FKS is down captain and 2 lueys. This is sometimes recoverable if he plays it right, as I have moved some known pieces to play a 'bluffing game')

-He gets a colonel up too (Great!)

I should not have allowed this to happen. I did not expect him to make this move as he did not do much attacking prior to that. However, I couldn't have moved left either (escape via 2sr) as it would have been trapped by both major pieces. I believe I should have made some more room to escape prior to moving my colonel there. 

In the end, I knew his colonel wasn't coming. The only logical place for it was near the general. I anticipated he would use majors then, as he was down smaller pieces. . Also it would be an 85% loss if I revealed my marshal for either the 1st or 2nd major that fks used. So it was in my best interest to trade as I was up smaller pieces

Again, if you manage to e.g. capture a major with your colonel and he happens to recapture, you have lost NO MATERIAL. Instead of a colonel up, you will be a major up AND know where is marshal is.

That is correct. In that setup, I have all of my majors buried on the 3rd row and I do not allow any colonel to "sacrifice" onto a major. I've played this setup a few times versus good players and I get a feel for how to play it. 

--------

If anyone was interested in seeing my setup, I have posted it below:

TS6u5Py.png

• tobermoryx, ScottLafaro and Fks like this

#20 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:37 AM

Thanks guys for commenting. To be honest if i had a more aggresive mindset during game I probably would have given my self a better chance of winning but alas I was nervous that i had the numerical lead and was stingy to give it up which caused me to lose haha!

Thanks unladen for a sweet game again!

• rgillis783 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users