Nortrom

Captain

• WC Online Team
  • 944 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

WCO 2017-2018 Player Interview: Major Nelson

Today we are here with Major Nelson, 18, from Greece. Major Nelson was rather surprised, but enthusiastic when asked if the WCO team could interview him.

During the interview we got to know how Major Nelson got to play Stratego for the first time, and making the mistakes we’ve all made as beginners, such as thinking scouts can move diagonally and that the spy always beats the marshal. About a year ago, he made an account here on Stratego.com and started playing a lot. Believe it or not, two of his school classmates (Henry Domerkant and Roeczak) persuaded him into playing online, as they also happened to play online.

When asked whether he prefers online or live playing, he mentioned that during his first live games he did not experience any trouble with the clock, however it does add a new dimension to the game. At first, Major Nelson still preferred online play, but after a few more live experiences, his preferences shifted towards live play. Being able to see the opponent and actually moving the physical pieces makes the difference for him.

The top three differences between live and online play for Major Nelson are:  “

1)The clock. But I understand that since at live tournaments you have to play many matches at the same day, each match cannot last forever 😊.

2)When you are behind a screen you are sometimes not honest with your opponent. You cannot be sure whom you are playing against, also many use abusive behavior online but I don t think they would do so live.

3)It has often been stated that when there are problems with the site the results may not be just. Personally, I ve not won 2 matches for online tourneys because the site malfunctioned. But when playing live you cannot complain about such problems. “

Having participated in the live WC in Greece, 2017, we wanted to ask him how he experienced the tournament and if he had any “big moments”. Unfortunately, no big moments for Major Nelson, however the entire experience of meeting foreign players and uniting the community were good enough to consider it a good experience.

During some pre-interview research, your reporter noticed that Major Nelson had won the “Open Athens 2017” live tournament. When asked to comment on that, he shared the following with us:

It was my first live tournament, I didn t expect to perform that well. I liked the experience of playing live, having the opponent right in front of you. The idea that after an hour the game was automatically draw if it had not finished was new to me cause at online tournaments there is no such rule. However, fortunately, I didn t encounter any problem with the clock at Open Athens 😊.

When asked whether he’d rather win the live Greek national championships or the WCO, Major Nelson too gave the only acceptable answer, he would prefer to win the WCO, as he sees it, there are stronger players, thus a more difficult achievement.

So far Major Nelson has played against: Nortrom(L), Fighter68(W), Morx(W) and KingTubby(L) resulting in 2 victories and 2 defeats for the current WCO. When asked which match he enjoyed the most (so far) he stated the game against Morx was the most enjoyable as it lasted about 55 minutes and took a lot of patience, but the victory boosted his confidence.

As part of the pre-interview research, your reporter found out that Major Nelson, from Greece, is currently studying in the UK. When asked to tell us a bit more, he told us he is studying physics and does miss playing live tournaments in Greece.

Trying to get some inside information, we asked Major Nelson (Greek tournament manager) whether there is any secret Greek online tournament planned, unfortunately he is either very good at hiding, or only the Greek Online Tournament (EPOS 2018) will be organized next year.

Many thanks to Major Nelson for cooperation!

jNNncqT.jpg

Major Nelson being crowned champion at the Athens Open 2017.

• Luckypapa, Don_Homer, maxroelofs and 10 others like this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

Follow the 3rd Online World Championship: http://forum.strateg...d-championship/

#2 Fks

Fks

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:17 AM

Very nice to be honest

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#3 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

Is the major the one in the middle of the picture?

#4 ☆OVERLORD☆

☆OVERLORD☆

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

From left to right : KARAISKAKIS , OverLord , Major Nelson , don mitsos , vspy13 (my father)

• Don_Homer, Losermaker and Major Nelson like this

" I can win everyone, but i can not lose from anyone "

#5 ☆OVERLORD☆

☆OVERLORD☆

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Note: This is an old picture. Major Nelson is now a member of Stratego Captains Club.
  • Major Nelson likes this

" I can win everyone, but i can not lose from anyone "

#6 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Sergeant

• Greek Tournament Manager
  • 419 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Is the major the one in the middle of the picture?

Ironically I m the most expressionless... :lol:

• Don_Homer likes this
Winning isn 't everything, but wanting to win is.

#7 Wogomite

Wogomite

Miner

• NASF Committee
  • 181 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

He was just as outwardly enthusiastic at the wc 2017 also. True Major is an asset indeed to the Stratego community. I believe a top player in the making! Who would believe not even twenty years old yet? Watch out Norty!
  • Losermaker and Major Nelson like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users