• WC Online Team
  • 935 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

He didnt win it - his opponent lost it.

• KissMyCookie and Unladen Swallow like this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

Follow the 3rd Online World Championship: http://forum.strateg...d-championship/

#3 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Sergeant

• Greek Tournament Manager
  • 413 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

The truth is that Mr.Brainiac s decision to exchange colonels was a bad one. If he hadn t done so, he would have one high-value piece at each "entrance" blocking Hielco s pieces from passing and would probably achieve at least draw. From the moments he exchanged colonels, he had the two most powerful pieces (both known) but was down a captain, a lieutenant, a sergeant and a miner. Do not let yourself get deceived by the fact that Mr.Brainiac had the two most powerful pieces on the board. Since hielco had a bigger advantage at low-ranked pieces and perhaps more importantly also had his flag placed at an unexpected position, he was as a matter of fact the favorite for the win in the end. If Mr.Brainiac was up two majors and down a captain, a lieutenant, a sergeant and a miner and the two players had many pieces left, he would be in a winning position. But with the game close to the end, with few pieces left and his flag s position apparent, exchanging colonels simply helped hielco a lot.

• Yellowhat, ScottLafaro and OuweSok like this
Winning isn 't everything, but wanting to win is.

#4 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Thanks! This is very usefull. I indeed noticed Hielco's quantity of lower pieces.

But why didn't Hielco trie to trade colonels?

thus spoke zarathustra

#5 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Sergeant

• 413 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

As soon as Mr.Brainiac reveals his flag s position by moving the miner you ll notice that hielco moves his colonel down hoping for the exchange. Probably he waited for the moment when his opponent would reveal his flag to force the exchange cause he is pretty confident that with his advantage at lower pieces and his flag s position unknown he can win the game.

• tobermoryx and ScottLafaro like this

#6 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

Mrb lost because he played a bad endgame. He should not have traded colonels. He was overconfident and overestimated the power of his two majors
  • Major Nelson likes this

Please hold on, my Marshal is about to move.

#7 CHLAPATSA 4U

CHLAPATSA 4U

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

Really amazing match.

I was literally expecting someone to post this! :D

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#8 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

Let me say something positive about mr. Brainiac: He played a very strong begin and midgame where I think he even slightly overpowered Hielco (who made some mistakes). Also brainiac was able to win the game till he gave away his miner on the captain.
  • tobermoryx and Major Nelson like this

#9 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Sergeant

• 413 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Let me say something positive about mr. Brainiac: He played a very strong begin and midgame where I think he even slightly overpowered Hielco (who made some mistakes). Also brainiac was able to win the game till he gave away his miner on the captain.

Indeed, although he had revealed both his general and his marshal he managed pretty well, especially thanks to capturing hielco s spy.

#10 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

Maybe one day I can sign up for the Nortrom academy of stratego and you can sign up for OuweSok's academy of how to not be a condescending dick in an internet forum

• Don_Homer likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#11 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

He didn't win it - his opponent lost it.

There is nothing condescending in this statement–by sheer demonstration of how the game was played by BOTH players, it was Mr. Brainiac's mistakes that allowed Hielco the victory. Hielco is doubtless a GREAT player, but this was not a match where he was playing to his highest level–for this reason did Mr. Brainiac (who is no less than an excellent player), find himself with an advantage. The endgame, however, proved to demonstrate a quality strategy. Again, the success of it, however, was based upon M.B's mistake, not on a strategic ploy by H.

...and you can sign up for OuweSok's academy of how to not be a condescending dick in an internet forum

I like you, OuweSok, and many here appreciate your generous and educational videos; and, many (I included) are also appreciative of some of the insights you share...this sentence of yours which I have quoted is exactly the kind of statement begging for trouble. You may wish to add this to the curriculum at your academy of "How to Lose Friends, Get Banned, and Be Persona Non Grata at The Forum." I only say this as your friend.

Thank you for your consideration.

#12 Nortrom

Nortrom

Captain

• WC Online Team
  • 935 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

One of the courses of the Nortrom university (yes, it is a mandatory and much needed subject) is etiquette. In your case I suggest you limit yourself to http://forum.strateg...content-thread/

• Major Nelson likes this

Follow the 3rd Online World Championship: http://forum.strateg...d-championship/

#13 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

KMC, you are one of the various members of this forum I have learned to know and appreciate in the months I am contributing to this forum and let me assure you I run no risk of being banned or becoming a persona non grata. When I signed up, there was no forum rule that stated that I needed to like Nortrom or his posts.

If his first post in this thread was the only example, you would not have heard me, but the fact is that you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to find many more of these.

I have spent time around great chess players and great bridge players, some of which have became world champions. And I know how to recognize a swollen ego when there is one. Heck, I have been insufferable myself, but have learned to recognize the flaws in my behaviour - many years later.

One of the courses of the Nortrom university (yes, it is a mandatory and much needed subject) is etiquette. In your case I suggest you limit yourself to http://forum.strateg...content-thread/

39JErDK.jpg

• KissMyCookie likes this

#14 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

OuweSok–with regards to our communication, your candor is always refreshing and I appreciate it.

And now in answer to your meme...

d5VF5W5.jpg

#15 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:59 AM

English ... do you speak it?! :o

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 25 November 2017 - 01:04 AM.

Please hold on, my Marshal is about to move.

#16 Nortrom

Nortrom

Captain

• WC Online Team
  • 935 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

KMC, you are one of the various members of this forum I have learned to know and appreciate in the months I am contributing to this forum and let me assure you I run no risk of being banned or becoming a persona non grata. When I signed up, there was no forum rule that stated that I needed to like Nortrom or his posts.

If his first post in this thread was the only example, you would not have heard me, but the fact is that you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to find many more of these.

You don't have to like me, however in order to be considered for admission into the Nortrom university, which you are most eager to join I can tell, atleast 60% of my posts must be liked by whoever requests admission, so you have a challenge ahead of you.

I actually am not sure what your issue is - perhaps your expectations were that I would annotate every single move this game and give my thoughts? (I've only watched the crucial part and then exited the vid anyway). MRB was in a won position, but managed to screw it up, not by hielco's force, but by making poor decision(s), hence him losing. I could probably write a 5 pager on why MRB lost the game and how he could've won it (including images), but I prefer to spend my already scarce time on other things - Make sure to stay on your guard for when I throw another bone into the scrub pit for you to feast on.

Should you ask hielco to comment on the game, he most likely will say his opponent screwed up in a winnable position, basically implying the same thing, I just sometimes prefer to be more economical with words ;).

• GaryLShelton, Moghedien, Fairway and 4 others like this

#17 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,557 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:22 AM

Should you ask hielco to comment on the game, he most likely will say his opponent screwed up in a winnable position, basically implying the same thing, I just sometimes prefer to be more economical with words ;).

Nortrom, you can be pretty short with words, even terse, but it is not possible for you to be more economical with words than Hielco. He's the champ of brevity. :)
  • Don_Homer and Moghedien like this

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#18 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

OuweSok–with regards to our communication, your candor is always refreshing and I appreciate it.

And now in answer to your meme...

d5VF5W5.jpg

deepblue.gif

You don't have to like me, however in order to be considered for admission into the Nortrom university, which you are most eager to join I can tell, atleast 60% of my posts must be liked by whoever requests admission, so you have a challenge ahead of you.

I actually am not sure what your issue is - perhaps your expectations were that I would annotate every single move this game and give my thoughts? (I've only watched the crucial part and then exited the vid anyway). MRB was in a won position, but managed to screw it up, not by hielco's force, but by making poor decision(s), hence him losing. I could probably write a 5 pager on why MRB lost the game and how he could've won it (including images), but I prefer to spend my already scarce time on other things - Make sure to stay on your guard for when I throw another bone into the scrub pit for you to feast on.

I will not accept that challenge. Seems my life will be devoid of the Nortrom university

Take a moment to compare your contribution itt to that of Major Nelson.

You reply was not helpful, it was not funny and it showed disrespect for a very strong player who managed to steer himself into a winning position vs one of the best players in the WCO, but found himself unable to finish the job.

Next time, instead of spending 20 seconds of your precious time writing a post like that, just click the back button. After saving multiples of 20 seconds this way, you will have accumulated time to write some real content somewhere else.

#19 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

b8c.gif

upper-class-twit-of-the-year-rabbit-shoo

• Lonello likes this

thus spoke zarathustra

#20 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Nortrom, you can be pretty short with words, even terse, but it is not possible for you to be more economical with words than Hielco. He's the champ of brevity. :)

And me, Gary. Don't forget about me. I'm always very short with words too... and Don, and Ouwesok in here, all Dutchies... must be in the Dutch vinegar then :wacko: :rolleyes:.

Lo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users