Timefordeath

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

The buffer clock is an awful idea. Too many players are sore losers and let the clock run down to zero when they are losing.  If you disconnect from the game - it should be over - no 2 minute wait. 15 seconds is also to long to move a piece. It should be 10 secs. Too many players abuse the clocks and try and frustrate their opponent so they quit.  By changing these rules - the game will be much more fun and will get rid of the players who play painfully slow. I have no complaints otherwise. I understand bugs are going to occur here and there. Great game and very appreciative of this site. It is ashame the sore losers are ruining the fun. 

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,567 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

First of all, welcome to the forum! :)

To be clear, you are talking about three different things.

1) The buffer, which is 5 minutes to start
2) The disconnect timer, which is 2:30 long
3) The move timer, which is currently 15 seconds long

There've been numerous discussions in this area--all good :)--over the years and many debates of every angle. You might try and sift through related topics in the both the current forum and the archives if you are interested. Cynics will have said in bunches that the discussions are worthless without a site ownership interested in listening and, quite frankly, that point looms bigger with every passing year. However, whenever the ownership does decide to attend to our "grievances", I can't help but think these type discussions done periodically will help keep us ready to be able to clearly describe the problems and to suggest decent fixes for them.

Of the three things you bring up above, the 1st and 3rd are closely related, while the 2nd is all by itself. It is an online problem strictly. The 1st and 3rd are often discussed in tandem.

With regard to these, and although many others can speak more authoritatively from live experience, I believe a lot of live tournaments carry a 10 minute buffer and a four second move timer, which they call "free time" in live circles. The benefit of copying that system here would be familiarity for many. The quick downside I can think of would be that here online 10 minutes would be a heck of a long time to wait compared to the current 5 minutes if your opponent just disconnected and left you waiting for your victory.

Balancing the 1st and 3rd timers for the optimal online game is still an unanswered question as far as I'm aware. The disconnect clock at 2:30 is horrendously long, I personally will agree. Although I've benefited from it a few times like most people, I oftentimes have been disconnected and I lose immediately, without so much as 30 seconds, let alone 2:30, and I've also won such games. So I'm not sure why the disconnect times vary so much. Perhaps it is purely a wireless device issue as that's where I play all of my games, as do many others.

For the record there is one other thing that is usually discussed in the same vein as all this. That's the concept of a total game time limit versus some conception of an autodraw. The total game time ranges in the live venue from, I believe I've heard, 50 to 75 minutes. Here, of course, we have no limit like that online. We have only our manual draw refusal process that anyone can read about at the link at the bottom of my posts.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

The best thing to have the buffer like live tournaments
1 hour automatic draw
14min buffer 4 sec per move

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,567 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

The best thing to have the buffer like live tournaments
1 hour automatic draw
14min buffer 4 sec per move

Yes, Henry, but that would be horrible to have to wait through 14 minutes when your online opponent decided to leave you hanging, wouldn't it? There are a large number of players that will do that, of course.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users