Photo

What are your thoughts on Star Trek Discovery?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

I think all I can say at this point is it's seems to be getting better, but spore drive? 

• DarthRemark likes this

#42 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

not reading the rest of your post as I’m a couple of episodes behind on TWD.  :)

Same here, but then for Discovery, lol. Haven't read it as you're at 9 and I at 3. But Queenbee is right about that spore drive I mentioned. That was handled in my last episode. Seems very far fetched indeed.

Lo

#43 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Occasionally they remember this was supposed to be a zombie game and pretend they're killing zombies, but mostly it's just a big pissing contest between hormonal adolescents.

LOL.  You know I think you're onto something.  I caught up on TWD and while I watched the last episodes I imaged that all of the characters were 14 years old and it worked perfectly.  :)  The earlier seasons weren't as outlandish so it was easier to mistake it for an adult drama.  This really is a comic book story though.  They are faithfully adapting a book targeted at teenagers.  

I am really growing weary of TWD.  

#44 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

I think all I can say at this point is it's seems to be getting better, but spore drive? 

Yes, the spore drive seems a little silly.  Not sure if you read Star Trek novels (I don’t read a lot of them, but have read a few).  There’s an extensive expanded print universe that continued the TNG timeline after the conclusion of Voyager.  One of the big plot points is the development by the Fed of a propulsion system that lets ships go several times faster than warp speed.  It’s a gamechanger along the lines of the spore drive and draws the ire of the Feds enemies.   It works great as a logical progression for the Trek universe.  I wonder if they made this a prequel with biological tech to keep from directly stepping on ideas from the books, because they’re definitely stepping on them.  They’ve got to get rid of it eventually though unless they want to totally rewrite Trek history, so my guess is they’ll end up doing something that destroys the network the spore drive relies on.

#45 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

I am really growing weary of TWD.  

Me too. The hope of this reviewer is these carbagepeople get killed too, after Shiva, and we'll see some adult TV again. Right after, he says that's probably not in the cards. They'll come up with some other comic storyline.

Don't get me wrong... if there's humour in it, it's al the better. The reviewer didn't like the fight between Daryl and Rick, but I thought the scene right after was comical nice. That they gaped at that truck going up in flames. Seeing how stupid they had been both. It was just funny. If things turn in that direction, I'd applaud it. But they shouldn't make it into some Superfantasy where tigers act like dogs and people all of a sudden have an alien language simultaneously (after how lang after the apocalypse, not generations, but a year or so, as Maggy is still just 3 months pregnant or something???).

Lo

#46 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:59 AM

Gonna use this thread for this (as it's a tv-series too) but this week X-files was kinda funny. It was as ridiculous as the lizzardman-episode but as it had all the conspiracies in, it was well written I thought.

Lo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users