Photo

What are your thoughts on Star Trek Discovery?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

I grew up watching reruns of the original series and am a huge fan of that one, thought TNG was a pretty good successor, DS9 was average at best, Voyager was godawful, and Enterprise was a misexecuted disappointment…though its final season was pretty good.  I’ve only watched the first episode of Discovery, but I liked it and think it’s off to a better start than the last 3 series.  They were pretty brave moving away from the visual style of the earlier shows.  It’s supposedly set in the same universe as those, but the visuals all hearkened to the JJ Abrams reboot movies which I thought were great popcorn flicks but terrible ST.  I thought the cast, scriptwriting and acting was all top notch.  Interesting how they’re framing the Klingons in a religious context.  The original series Klingons were always a Russia stand-in type aggressor.  TNG focused on an honor-bound warrior angle more akin to the WWII Japanese.  This new series seems to be skewing more towards religious fanaticism.  Could make for good commentary on current events.  The one thing that did gnaw on me was the Klingon beacon that lit up like a star, then moments later the first officer makes a subspace call to Sarek and he’s already commenting on the discovery of a new star in the sky.  ??? I hope they pay better attention to physics moving forward.  ST isn’t exactly realistic, but fantasy works best when it’s at least internally consistent.  On the whole though, I give it an “A”. 

#2 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

I'm afraid we won't be able to see it just yet over here but I have heard rumours the Klingons, again, have gotten a completely other look, LOL. Religious turn of events hey, hmmmm. I've always liked their attitude of "today is a good day to die!" ^_^ :rolleyes:

I agree with you on most. But you rank Voyager too low and TOS too high. Must be because I was just a baby when you were quite the young adult already :ph34r: :blink: :D

I grant you I do refer to TOS the most when talking about today's affairs, with mentioning smartphones, 3D printers and the lot was already predicted by ST. Ofcourse it was TOS that came first with it... the Ipad in the '60's, imagine that ;). But the series are just too old for me to appreciate them really in reruns while TNG still looks modern to me, especially the Q- and Borg-episodes :wub:.

Voyager, well, Janeway must be reminding you of Hillary Clinton too much :lol: :P. Just throw away the first seasons as I agree they have some weaker characters (Chakotey, maybe also Torres) but 7of9 was the absolute top and the story (travelling back towards Earth but through all these hostile quadrants) was much more interesting to may than the stagnant Deep Space Station.

Yes, Enterprise was a misexecuted disappointment. Just see their captain and you'll see other series. See Picard, Kirk, Janeway and you'll see the Captains. No matter what Picard does Shakesperian on stage, he'll always be Picard :rolleyes:

Lo

#3 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

Just a baby? Your profile page says you were born in 1915?

TOS is the gold standard.  I don't know if you knew, but they remastered it a few year ago.  Most of the special effects scenes were updated with CGI, so it looks a lot better now.  You should try it. 

Voyager was terrible.  Lazy writing, bad cast and bad acting.  And it didn't matter what happened during the first 3/4 of each episode, the solution was always to have Torres reconfigure the deflector dish to modulate the phase of the ion stream or some nonsense.  Voyager also has the dubious honor of the single worst ST episode ever: Threshold.  My intelligence was so insulted by that ep that I actually stopped watching for a year after seeing it.  :angry:

• Lonello likes this

#4 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Voyager, well, Janeway must be reminding you of Hillary Clinton too much :lol: :P. Just throw away the first seasons

And

http://i.imgur.com/uY4Z0Bx.mp4

Lo

#5 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

Well if we're allowed to throw away whole seasons then we can disregard the first three seasons of Enterprise and were left with the best Trek since TNG.  Janeway was horrible.  Easily the worst Trek captain.  She did have some things in common with Hillary, like a chalkboard scratching voice and often inane dialog, so I get the comparison.  These could have been resolved with a different actress and better writers.  Nice gif.  I wish I could forget about Threshold. 

But this is the Discovery thread so you need to talk about it.  :)   You should be able to stream it from Europe.   Go to: https://www.cbs.com/all-access/ and see if it works.

#6 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

I finally was able to stream it via some vague .do site, ever heard of that? How far are you now? I just watched the Vulcan Hello first episode. I agree with you it was pretty great and

On the whole though, I give it an “A”. 

Sure thing :D :)! Remark here I didn't really like the acting of the Captain but this seems more to be a series about the First Officer, the woman named Michael (is that something StarTrek too, or do women actually are called Michael today in America :blink: :huh:).

I reckognized this Sonequa from another series: Walking Dead. Do you watch that too? It's the same as with AHS; I saw reruns since I got FOX but apparantly they are at the 7th season already. It's not so much the zombies that I like, but the apocalyps. You only have to watch Puerto Rico and the facade that drops with humans within the hour after the power grid goes down. It's kinda stunning.

Lo

#7 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:30 AM

weak so far, but I am still watching it. 

#8 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

I've only seen the first episode.  They showed it free on the regular CBS network, but the rest of the series is only available via thier subscription channel.  I'm going to wait until the series is complete, then sign up for a month and power stream it.  Actually the midseason finale is tonight, then no new eps until January, so I might sign up just for November to watch everything to date.

Yes, I watch The Walking Dead too.  The eighth season began last week.  I sometimes wonder why I watch it though because it's so relentlessly depressing with no hope in sight, but the characters are good and it's well cast and acted.  It also has a spinoff called "Fear the Walking Dead" that just finished it's 3rd season.  It's much weaker though.  In fact, I might give up on it. 

#9 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:26 AM

We seem the Siamese twin of AHS ;). I too have only seen the first episode so it rests at all these Klingon vessels popping up. So I hope Queenbee won't throw in spoilers :rolleyes:

And I completely agree with The Walking Dead's depressing tone which starts to be boring. The garbagepeople were a new low... suddenly everybody in a society can't speak normal English anymore, and all have that dead look?

You said it: no hope in sight. Every time they find paradise which then gets walked over. Well, why not wait for a bit in that farm, or in that prison, until the hurd has walked on? Everything is fine then. 

But the start of this new season was really terrible. I completely agree with this review I found:

https://www.forbes.c...isode-1-review/

The acting is great, the filming too. But the storyline is just ridiculous... they come for 1 man, then they have dozens of guns pointed at him from a small distance, all sharp shooters, and still they are not able to harm his little pink...

Lo

#10 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:01 AM

We seem the Siamese twin of AHS ;). I too have only seen the first episode so it rests at all these Klingon vessels popping up. So I hope Queenbee won't throw in spoilers :rolleyes:

Well there is this spaceship with people on it. I think some will enjoy it and people (like me) will endure it as this is the best we can get hoping for a nugget now and then. We get lots of superhero shows, but Star Trek is hallowed ground for some. I won't compare Star Trek to Star Wars. They are completely different forms of entertainment. I think ST is a bit more cerebral and small with a lot of closeups. SWs is more action and adventure. Good versus Evil. I am hoping that ST doesn't sell out to CGI just to get eyeballs. I already don't like the All Access plan CBS. I hope that the stories evolve and are the stories we expect from ST. The problem with that is what Star Trek?

I'll always look fondly at the original series as I was a kid watching it live every week. Still the one that affected me more was TNG.

#11 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

Yeah, the action in opener was silly.  They had more of the same in last night’s ep.  It’s pretty typical for big gunfights on TV though.  I think it’s because limited budgets and tight production schedules just don’t let them choreograph it realistically.  Star Trek’s been just as bad when they try to do large gun battles. 

The garbagepeople were stupid.  Also, the storybook King with his pet tiger and true believer subjects.  It’s getting ridiculous.  This is being adapted from a comic book though.  :)  I never read the comic, but have read that the TV show is adapting it very faithfully.  They’ve made minor tweaks, such as when and how characters die, but the situations and larger story are straight from the book.  Apparently, the comic is only halfway done too and if the TV show continues at its current pace it will have to run for about 25 seasons to tell the whole story.  Hard to believe they’ll keep it going that long, but it’s still a ratings powerhouse so I’m guessing they’ll have a several more seasons at least. 

I am hoping that ST doesn't sell out to CGI just to get eyeballs. I already don't like the All Access plan CBS. I hope that the stories evolve and are the stories we expect from ST. The problem with that is what Star Trek?

This was my big problem with the reboot movies.  Just a bunch of eye candy.  The Khan movie had some ok themes, but they were buried in the flash and glimmer.  We haven't had real ST in a long time.  I don't mind shifting to season long story arcs but it needs to have substance.   

• queenbee1 likes this

#12 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

more of the same in last night’s ep.  It’s pretty typical for big gunfights on TV though.  I think it’s because limited budgets and tight production schedules just don’t let them choreograph it realistically.  Star Trek’s been just as bad when they try to do large gun battles. 

The garbagepeople were stupid.  Also, the storybook King with his pet tiger and true believer subjects.  It’s getting ridiculous.  This is being adapted from a comic book

Indeed. More of the same. Bwah, sooo boring. Seen it all so many times. Pifpafpooooof without any plan it seemed. They wanted to take out Negan, but then in an instant simultaneously decide to kill 'em all and shoot randomly? And I hate that tiger too. You, me and Queenbee have a cat. We know how they react, and this is a big cat. But Shiva acts like a dog. They would only wish this tiger would act this way. Can be only made by a dog owner :D :lol:

Comic books, yes I have heard about that once too, but what day and age are these comics then, are they from the '60's like Star Trek? Or are they even made up to this day?

I wish they could break free of this fake war. Luckily Rick seems to get another encounter with Negan as he is captured and a twist is coming. I hope the King gets killed soon so we will have less blabla LOL. And a twist were to be that a character from the spin off series Fear would walk into this serie. Probably there will even be a merge as I've seen the ratings of Fear drop dramatically. That would be fun, to see that family enter Rick's world and engage him with teaming up with Negan for instance. It will conflict who the watcher will root for.

By the way, the Siamese twin was from AHS season 4, so I got the series mixed up LOL.

• queenbee1 likes this
Lo

#13 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Comic books, yes I have heard about that once too, but what day and age are these comics then, are they from the '60's like Star Trek? Or are they even made up to this day?

Yes they are since Marvel and DC were created. Now the kids call them graphic novels. Comic books were neither graphic or novels. Give me a good story line and I don't care who is in it. Lately Hollywood still believes that CGI is the future. I am not impressed. 

#14 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:43 AM

LOL.  That’s what I thought when we met Shiva.  There’s no cat that obeys like that.  The Walking Dead comic is being produced right now.  Yes, I hope the gun war story ends soon too.  But this is the ST thread though so we need to talk about it.  You should start a separate Walking Dead thread. 

#15 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

Yes they are since Marvel and DC were created. Now the kids call them graphic novels. Comic books were neither graphic or novels. Give me a good story line and I don't care who is in it. Lately Hollywood still believes that CGI is the future. I am not impressed. 

Queenbee, you and your American abbreviations.. what do they all mean? I remember you called MIC which I know now stands for Military Industrial Complex but for Europeans it's a bit hard to make that out :unsure: :huh:. Now you call DC but I only know about Washington DC and don't even know where those letters stand for :o :rolleyes:. Maybe you mean Disney Channel/Company with it here? But CGI I can not make out completely. Maybe you mean animated film is the future. I am not impressed with that either.

this is the ST thread though so we need to talk about it.

Lol, that is why I always make sure I at least mention the subject every time:

from the '60's like Star Trek

:D :lol:!!

But I still have not seen anything beyond the pilot so can't say much about it yet. Is this serie to have several seasons? Enterprise had a couple but not the 7 they used to have.

TWD maybe we best discuss in Trump's topic predicting there will be an apocalypse with The Donald's fingertips over the nuclear buttons :ph34r: :ph34r: :P :P!!

Lo

#16 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

CGI is easy to google. Computer Generated Imagery. All those battle scenes need CGI to exist.

#17 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

Now you call DC but I only know about Washington DC and don't even know where those letters stand for

DC is a major comic publisher in the US.  They created characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.  Marvel is the other major comic publisher with characters like Spider Man, Iron Man and the X-Men.  But there's also a slew of smaller publishers and one of those does The Walking Dead. 

But I still have not seen anything beyond the pilot so can't say much about it yet. Is this serie to have several seasons? Enterprise had a couple but not the 7 they used to have.

Discovery is supposed to run for multiple seasons.  I'd guess it will go for at least 7 if the ratings hold.  Enterprise had only 4 seasons but was cut short due to bad ratings.

btw: I happened to read an article today that referenced an interview with the Discovery writers where they said the story was allegory for the political strife in the US today.  I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but I don't have high hopes for that angle.  I thought the religious angle I suspected was fairly strong.  Maybe its due to AHS, but I'm just not in the mood for more left wing "examination" of our political problems.  I'm going to take a flying guess that the Klingon's will be representative of Trump supporters...   

On that note, I forgot to mention that I hate the new Klingon makeup design.  All of the earlier Klingon looks were much better. 

Edited by DarthRemark, 03 November 2017 - 02:02 AM.

#18 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

I hate how much closed captions I have to watch so they can speak Klingon. Who decided that was being true to the show? The show will last as long as it is considered profitable and then go away. Plenty of Trekkies out there that would rather have anything ST rather than nothing ST so they will ♥♥♥♥♥, but CBS will do what is best for CBS. I am not yet enamored with the show. Right now if I never saw another show I wouldn't miss it. Of course that is with most TV. I grew up in the heydays of The Andy Griffiths Show, Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons and Bewitched. What Gene Roddenberry did was nothing short of brilliant during a time of social upheaval.

Yes the Original now looks cheesy and hammy, but it was groundbreaking. Star Trek Discovery is still trying to find itself. I hope it does before CBS kills it.

#19 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

DC is a major comic publisher in the US.  They created characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman...............I happened to read an article today that referenced an interview with the Discovery writers where they said the story was allegory for the political strife in the US today.  I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but I don't have high hopes for that angle.  I thought the religious angle I suspected was fairly strong.  Maybe its due to AHS, but I'm just not in the mood for more left wing "examination" of our political problems.  I'm going to take a flying guess that the Klingon's will be representative of Trump supporters...   

On that note, I forgot to mention that I hate the new Klingon makeup design.  All of the earlier Klingon looks were much better. 

Wow, I was sure Queenbee meant Disney there. You see, we have comics coming over from them since the 50's....: it's The Donald! The real one! To me these magazines are old-fashioned but they're still doing very well as even grown ups hang on to their weekly Donald Duck.

The other superhero's I do know, yes. At first I thought there was just 1 movie of each of them. But it seems this DC and competition hang on to them and are still making comics. I know our Picard featured in these movies but I never got the hang about that. I rather see Klingons.

It was explained in one of the episodes of Star Trek how the Klingons 'shapeshifted' during centuries. So what we're seeing now here is what they looked like before any desease happened. Still does not make much sense if you compare the early TOS Klingons.

I also read an article about it and they're going to create yet another project. Supposedly it's a remake of The Wrath of Khan or a follow up of that story in a new ST movie.

AHS, just two last episodes to come so bear with :rolleyes:. I'm sure Bebe will return and we will see why she was written into the show yet. Big conspiracy there. The rest of the conspiracies paid out so far as expected. No aluhat needed.

Last episode they again referred to the outcome of the election that had led to all the horror. I suppose that had Clinton won there would be a totally other storyline as they couldn't all still be blaiming Jill Stein :blink: B) :lol: :D.

Lo

#20 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:32 AM

Of course that is with most TV. I grew up in the heydays of The Andy Griffiths Show, Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons and Bewitched. What Gene Roddenberry did was nothing short of brilliant during a time of social upheaval.

I’m a few years younger than you QB, but I grew up watching all of these in reruns during the 70’s.  Also, including The Brady Bunch, The Flintstones, Hogan’s Heroes, The Addam’s Family, The Munsters, Lost in Space, etc.  I’ve seen every episode of those shows and many multiple times.  My sister and I used to play a game where we would try to be the first to identify the Brady Bunch episode as it started.  Many of them we could guess on the opening shot.  Almost forgot to mention The Twilight Zone.  A personal favorite that I still enjoy watching during the Christmas and 4th of July marathons they’ve been running for years.  The big news this week is CBS is working on a Twilight Zone reboot for All Access.  I might have to subscribe to that service after all…  I agree Rodenberry was bold challenging racial issues with the multicultural cast, first interracial kiss and the race war episode.  If ST had never gone on to be a phenomenon like it did history would still have judged it hugely significant. 

It was explained in one of the episodes of Star Trek how the Klingons 'shapeshifted' during centuries. So what we're seeing now here is what they looked like before any desease happened. Still does not make much sense if you compare the early TOS Klingons.

I also read an article about it and they're going to create yet another project. Supposedly it's a remake of The Wrath of Khan or a follow up of that story in a new ST movie.

Yes, they did attempt to explain it.  Personally, I thought that was a mistake.  They should have just pretended Klingon’s always looked like that and accepted that 1960’s budgets didn’t allow for the elaborate makeup.  If you’re going to say the Discovery Klingon’s are the originals, then we now have 3 states.  That might be ok if Discovery Klingon’s looked good, but they don’t.

I don’t think they’ll revisit Khan in Discovery.  Khan is frozen from the 1990’s until TOS, and Discovery occurs in-between.  Maybe you’re thinking of “Into Darkness”?  That was the second reboot movie and it did feature a reimagining of the Wrath of Khan story. Did you see it?

I’m not reading the rest of your post as I haven’t had time to watch AHS this week and I'm scared you've got a spoiler in there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users