#121 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 993 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

Just based on results. I also like live play better, but I think just about everyone does. 

But I believe some people are better live, some are better online (maybe its their play style)

For instance, Major Nelson, DR-Ell-Supreme and KARAISKAKIS , among others, are much better online than live.
On the other hands players like me, Henry Domerkant and Garulfo are better live.

Please don't judge my level at live as I rarely get the chance to play, while I play online all the time. All I need is some practice and you'll realise I am about as good as at online, there is no significant reason for my level at live tournaments to vary from online ones.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#122 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 869 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Maybe it is lack of practice, maybe you are better suited to online play. 

I am just making an assumption based on results (well, as accurate as that can be based on only one serious tournament) . 

Well, since the original question was about myself, I can at least say for sure that I am better live 

Also Max Roelofs (who was the only guy that outplayed me in WC+open out of 14 games ) said i am much better live so you got one of the top players for this as well.

If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#123 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 869 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

It is rumored that a tournament will be held again in alternative playing option..... be prepared!!

If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#124 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

I also like live play better, but I think just about everyone does. 
But I believe some people are better live, some are better online (maybe its their play style)
(...)On the other hands players like me, Henry Domerkant and Garulfo are better live.

Me too. Additionally live there are even more variables involved (body language, pokerface). Also it takes some miliseconds more to move a piece which might influence impulse control. Maybe a reason why there is less lotto live.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#125 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,063 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

6 wins and 37 losses! I have played overlord to much lol :P

Edited by Fks, 01 February 2018 - 11:29 PM.

• ☆OVERLORD☆ likes this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#126 ☆OVERLORD☆

☆OVERLORD☆

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

Im sorry my friend... 😁
  • Fks likes this

STRATEGO CAPTAINS CLUB ~ the strongest team of Greece

#127 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:13 AM

I do not enjoy very much to play players that are MUCH stronger than me. What motivates me are good, balanced matches. The fun of ALTERNATIVE PLAYING OPTIONS is that you can play the same player multiple times, learn how he plays and define counterstrategies.

Fks, the best way to counter frontline majors isn't frontline colonels, it is frontline scouts :)

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#128 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,063 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:20 AM

Fks, the best way to counter frontline majors isn't frontline colonels, it is frontline scouts :)

The best way to counter front line Marshal is front row bomb! personally wouldn't feel comfortable showing 2 cols in opening game, Simply bec. it's very hard to defend. I would rather show general for major and col for major early in game then showing the second col I think. I enjoy playing stronger players besides the thrill of playing a very tough opponent I believe it's a very good base to learn from. I have a game I want to show u tho I will send it to you via skype where I do feature 2 cols on my front line :) 

Edited by Fks, 02 February 2018 - 07:41 AM.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#129 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:42 AM

Playing reckless is fine vs a very strong player that will just almost always beat you if you play a solid game, because he will play more solid. So you need to try more high variance strategies.

I think it is a mistake to play like that vs player that you can beat normally.

#130 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

Playing reckless is fine vs a very strong player that will just almost always beat you if you play a solid game, because he will play more solid. So you need to try more high variance strategies.

I think it is a mistake to play like that vs player that you can beat normally.

High-variance strategy = lotto? Or marshal blitz? Or just taking more risks like assuming spy is in certain region and using your marshal aggressive elsewhere?

#131 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

High-variance strategy = lotto? Or marshal blitz? Or just taking more risks like assuming spy is in certain region and using your marshal aggressive elsewhere?

Not lotto, that will not even give you much satisfaction even if you manage to win. But indeed, make some reasonable assumptions about where the relevant pieces are of your opponent and come in aggressively with high pieces hoping to catch him in a tight spot. Jamming your general/marshal into a group of moved pieces, hoping to dodge that natural enemy (marshal/spy). Engage early game pieces with majors/colonels hoping to catch some good pieces and build a material advantage.

Yesterday Fks came in with a colonel early game and he ran it back into his positions and covered it up with a pieces, so there were like 5 pieces that could capture my general. But I went in with my general, captured the captain in front of his colonel and grabbed his colonel.

Vs lower players this will work less often, because they tend to be very protective of their colonels and it is much more likely you will run into his marshal. So it was a risky play with high reward if it goes well. Try and find such a situation if you are pitted vs an invincible foe and find it before he knows enough about your own setup.

• TemplateRex likes this

#132 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

A new tournament have been announced for those who are interested 

rules are here http://gravopedia.gr...F_appointsments

registration via forum is here http://www.gravon.de...opic.php?t=3039

greetings

• Don_Homer and Fks like this

#133 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

2 weeks before deadline of registration,33 players have already joined.I believe there will be an interesting group phase.

#134 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

2 weeks before deadline of registration,33 players have already joined.I believe there will be an interesting group phase.

I wonder if the 4 Greek Musketeers will break the record of Zach (M2C) and me. I think it was 40 and was a gravon record :). 2 more weeks of sign up...

Edited by Don_Homer, 14 March 2018 - 04:12 PM.

• cflag likes this

#135 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

4 days left for registration.
So far 33 players from 7 countries, among them some top players like the live world champion.
I wonder where are the Belgians players?
greetings

• Don_Homer and Unladen Swallow like this

#136 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

Really looking forward to this tournament  :) 

• ☆OVERLORD☆ likes this

#137 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

With great interest I look forward to seeing the groups.

Perhaps we'll play each other in same group D-Homer? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users