OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

Just lost a couple of games vs defensive1. He is unranked and says he doesn't play here. Anyone know him?

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#62 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

For those who are interested, I post the link of  last tournament at gravon in 2013. The organizers were Ruben87-Zach21 with help from the admin Stratego (Dieter).

http://gravopedia.gr...ip_2013_Results

• Don_Homer likes this

#63 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

You can watch the old gravon games offline with their game viewer that shows the pieces from both sides.  It's very helpful. Unfortunately, the players are anonymous. I posted all the games played by the player with the best game setup winning percentage.  https://stratego-tip...atego-game.html

I've been watching those games.  The player is very good.  He uses the colonel, spy, marshal trap to protect his flag. He likes to use a major to get information and is very fast at counterattacking with the general when a marshal is revealed.  At the end of his games, he's usually up captains and lieutenants, but down a major.

I have been replaying a bunch of this player. I like his style a lot. He atatcks with scouts and majors through the center to find all the big pieces, while keeping is own big pieces still until he knows where to attack. I have seen a game where he was three majors down vs captains and lieutenants and won.

This one was quite awesome: classic-2006.5-77

• Dobby125 likes this

#64 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

I have been replaying a bunch of this player. I like his style a lot. He atatcks with scouts and majors through the center to find all the big pieces, while keeping is own big pieces still until he knows where to attack. I have seen a game where he was three majors down vs captains and lieutenants and won.

This one was quite awesome: classic-2006.5-77

Great find!  That game was incredible. 

Here are some of the key moves that I liked....

Move 45A  -  A game saving move.  Probably his only move to not lose the game.  I don't like his setup, but it worked in his favor in that case.  It helped that his opponent was not a noobie and was thinking Strategically.  Stratego Bob uses that flag placement a lot and many players in the late game lotto into the corner bomb or diagonal bomb.  It can baffle players in the late game.

Move 46A - Another wonderful, subtle move to block possible scout attacks that probably saved him from a loss.

Move 85A - Scouting a bomb to help his Colonel lotto to safety.  Just like most games, it helps to have a little luck.

Move 135A - Wow.  Spy sacrifice.  I wonder how long he thought about that move???

Move 136A - Another Wow.  General sacrifice.  How many players would see those last 2 moves?  Not many.

The end game with 2 minors was executed perfectly.

Player 2 wishes he had that sergeant free.  Never lock in pieces.

I wonder who that player was?  Anybody know?  He played lots of games in Gravon in 2006.  There's another game setup similar to his setup with a 90% win ratio(46-5).  I'll post those games as well.  It probably was the same player.  When I watch his games, I always try to guess when he moves his Marshal.  Sometimes it's obvious.  But lots of times I guess a few moves too soon.  He seems to move it at the right time to baffle his opponent. He's very, very patient.  People can learn a lot from watching him play.   

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#65 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:29 PM

I updated the blog page that listed the game files from that good gravon player.  I added 52 more games from a very similar setup.  The player with that setup had a record of 45-6-1.  I listed the the game files that the person played as Player1 or Player2 and listed the results of the games so it's easy to find games with wins, losses or ties.  He did get lottoed in a few of his losses.  And a few times he ran a colonel, late in the game, into a well placed bomb.  Stuff happens.

https://stratego-tip...atego-game.html

I'll try to find some more interesting setups with good players that have different playing styles.

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#66 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

How do I view the games?

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world.

#67 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

Nevermind I think I figured it out. Confusing interface. 

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world.

#68 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

The replayer is quite nice, you can see which pieces have moved and which are known.

• Dobby125 likes this

#69 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

I had a look at  classic-2006.7-5756.xml and I don't see what all the fuss is about. Haven't had time to spec more games.

-Unnecessary and very risky lotto attack with general on the weak side of the board (he saw marshal and general come from the right hand side, so that's the best place to lotto if he/she wants an early advantage). He had enough pieces, and time, to methodically attack the weak side. 

-Brought general straight away after marshal revealed, predictable move, and unlikely to gain much from it in most scenarios. Especially with a blitz style setup, where the centre is guarded by gen/cols and spy

-97B allows his major to be trapped for no reason? When already down a major. Best move would have been to move it back to the marshal (the spy would get trapped in the future, but that's better than losing another major here)

He's a fairly mediocre player, about 600 level I think on here

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 15 December 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#70 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

I also don't like the setup, but I guess that's my own opinion. It's certainly unpredictable. 

#71 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:54 PM

You can watch the old gravon games offline with their game viewer that shows the pieces from both sides.  It's very helpful. Unfortunately, the players are anonymous. I posted all the games played by the player with the best game setup winning percentage.  https://stratego-tip...atego-game.html

Looking at your blog post, there are a number of games labelled classic-2006.0-NNNN.xml (with NNNN some digits). However, I can't find the classic-2006.0-zip file at http://www.gravon.de/strados2/files/ I did find all the other games on your blog. Where is the 2006-0 batch?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#72 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:23 AM

Looking at your blog post, there are a number of games labelled classic-2006.0-NNNN.xml (with NNNN some digits). However, I can't find the classic-2006.0-zip file at http://www.gravon.de/strados2/files/ I did find all the other games on your blog. Where is the 2006-0 batch?

They are located in the 2015-12.zip file.  I'll eventually post the python code so anybody can search any of the archive game files for specific game setups when I have some free time.  You just have to install python on your computer and an IDE like Pycharm which are free.

You can watch and rate a lot of the archive games at this link. 

http://www.ultrastratego.com/games.php

• TemplateRex likes this

#73 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

He's a fairly mediocre player, about 600 level I think on here

At least 100 more. He remembers pieces much better than I do (you saw me forget that I moved a major yesterday and I am 661 aorn), he moves the minimum required amount of pieces, he has a good aggression level, mixes up bluffs very well with real plays and he lottos quite efficiently.

From your POV, 99.9% of the players are fairly mediocre  :rolleyes:

#74 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • 1,429 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

I have seen a game where he was three majors down vs captains and lieutenants and won.

classic-2006.1-2582.xml after blue's move 39

3nqQkR.png

Blue is up 3 majors + 1 scout vs. gen info + 2 captains + 2 lieutenants + 1 sergeant + 1 miner (1 colonel + junk has come off already).

Another fun game to watch is classic-2006.0-5333 where there is a mutual flag race to the very end. 

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#75 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

The replayer is quite nice, you can see which pieces have moved and which are known.

I like that feature.  The programmer did an excellent job.   White stripe on left side means the piece moved.  White stripe on ride side means the piece was revealed.   The feature setting is under options.  You can tell when a player lottos or forgets revealed pieces.  It helps to understand their decision making.

#76 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:07 PM

Another fun game to watch is..... classic-2006.1-8372.xml

After move 258b the player has 4 pieces left: captain, lieutenant, sergeant and miner.  His opponent has 8 pieces left: 2 majors,  a lieutenant, 3 miners and 2 scouts.  None of his pieces are revealed.   His opponent's majors and lieutenant are revealed.  The flags are surrounded by bombs.  There's no way he can win.  NO! WAY!

• TemplateRex likes this

#77 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • 1,429 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:05 AM

After move 258b the player has 4 pieces left: captain, lieutenant, sergeant and miner.  His opponent has 8 pieces left: 2 majors,  a lieutenant, 3 miners and 2 scouts.  None of his pieces are revealed.   His opponent's majors and lieutenant are revealed.  The flags are surrounded by bombs.  There's no way he can win.  NO! WAY!

After move 291b, the board is (red scout at B2, miner at G3, blue sarge at F5, miner at J10):

B97464.png

At this point, red should simply use his final scout: B2-F2 and at the next move F5 is scouted. This will identify the miner (by elimination if F5 was the sarge, as it happened to be in the game). After that it's an easy win for red: first capture the miner, then the captain + sarge. It doesn't even matter if the red miner at G3 gets lost. 

Edited by TemplateRex, 19 December 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#78 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:04 AM

I remember that one, that was 100% thrown away by stupidity of his opponent. 

#79 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

I found a marshal blitzer.  I listed their games in a new blog post.  I haven't watch many games yet, so hard to say how good the player was.  But the style was fairly aggressive.  Much different from the last player's games.  This player had an impressive record of 130 - 21 - 7.  I never tried this style of play.  Something to try out in the new year. 

https://stratego-tip...rom-gravon.html

• OuweSok likes this

#80 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

Interesting. Will certainly check out these games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users