TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

Here's a fun endgame quiz.  My opponent made a move I was hoping for and I then beat him in 5 moves.  Can you guess the blunder move he made and the possible end sequence?  If you get the answer, don't post it right away.  Let others think about it.  It's not that hard.

Here's the gameboard.  Also, 1 of the captains might have been a miner(both pieces moved, but were not revealed).  He moved his known major from  J9 to I9.  I moved my scout from E3 to F3.  And then he made a mistake.  The blunder move did not involve his Colonel. 

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Spoiler

Edited by TemplateRex, 28 January 2018 - 01:37 PM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#102 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

how did you know the flag in corner? If he had let you move forward wih your col would you have lottoed that corner with your col?

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#103 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

was it moving the major on XX to XX?

Greetings, TR. I am glad that I did not read your post immediately–I would have been disappointed as your proposed idea was posted very quickly after Dobby125 posted his puzzle. May I offer the suggestion to use a PM next time? ;)  (I am sure Dobby125 would be delighted to share the results...I sent him a PM, too!).

We all would enjoy having the fun of trying to solve the puzzle. :)

Thank you much.

#104 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Greetings, TR. I am glad that I did not read your post immediately–I would have been disappointed as your proposed idea was posted very quickly after Dobby125 posted his puzzle. May I offer the suggestion to use a PM next time? ;)  (I am sure Dobby125 would be delighted to share the results...I sent him a PM, too!).

We all would enjoy having the fun of trying to solve the puzzle. :)

Thank you much.

Sorry, didn't read too carefully, edited into a spoiler.

• KissMyCookie likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#105 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

how did you know the flag in corner? If he had let you move forward wih your col would you have lottoed that corner with your col?

I should have mentioned that I hit a bomb on A10, so that piece was known.  I thought J10 was the flag because after playing hundreds of marshal blitzer games, almost 90% of the time the flag is on the same side as the blitzing side.  I say about 70 percent of the time, the blitzers have an open flag.  And most of the time, they usually only have one or zero bombs on their blitzing side.  My opponent kept a triangle in the corner like he had a bombed in flag for most of the game.  When he moved away from J9 at the end of the game, he always kept another piece somewhere on the J column protecting J10.  He probably was guarding it against my remaining scout.  That’s a very easy tell.  I also tend to go with the gravon stats, especially for players under 700 ELO.  J10 is significantly more likely to have a flag than I10 (9.02% vs 2.59%).  Trusting those gravon stats has made me a much better player.

Your second question is a good one.   I played awful in the first ¾ of the game.  I started concentrating very hard at the end.  This should have been an easy win, especially with my setup.   I doubt he would let me by with his colonel.  And if he lets you by, you’d have to wonder why.  He did have a bomb in the other corner.  I love placing corner bombs, but how many players use 2 corner bombs???  That stat has to be very, very, very low.  I’d probably swap colonels, majors and captains if he was going to let me by.   The end game was a winner for me, unless his miner was on A8 and he started moving forward.

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#106 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Considet this simple position:

axvl6N8.png

Blue just moved up the general from D8 to D9. Red's only move is Marshal to D10. General now moves to E9. Marshal moves to either D9 or E10 and the general responds by going to E10 or D9, respectively. This continues. After nine moves, the marshal is at D10 again. Now, according to the chasing rule, he cannot attack the general again (or whatever the rule says, assume he has depleted his chase moves and is at D10). But he has no other legal moves besides chasing the general again. What happens by ISF? What happens in stratego.com client?

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#107 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

If the marshal cannot threaten the gen again and there is no square where the marsh can go so that this doesn't happen, then the red player loses. I have experienced a similar example at a ranked match in the past.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#108 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,221 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

". A movable piece is a piece that still has at least one legal move. Note: according to the Two-Squares Rule it is not allowed to move between two squares for a fourth time, even if this square is theoretically empty and the piece is not threatening another piece! This can be important in case of one last „movable‟ piece when the main playing time is over."

• Don_Homer likes this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#109 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

Yes i guess the system will block him because red does not have any movable pieces
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#110 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,535 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

The Two Squares rule blocks the one square. The anti-chasing HmmNess Rule, the other.

There was a funny similar thing a few years ago when a guy took his last movable piece, a general, into a guy's set of three inverted pyramid of bombs. He returned out with his next move, then went back in with his third move. He couldn't move without blowing himself up. It was quite a humorous picture. :D
  • Don_Homer likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#111 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,535 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

Found that post. Wow, surprised myself. From March of 2013. The images have been deleted, but maybe some of you remember them. Anyway, I notice the guy stupidly says the game is stupid. Today I find that a big lol :D

http://forum.strateg...owed/#entry2176 *

But more interesting, far more, is who posts next. Ash! Can you imagine a programmer posting today? Unbelievable days those were!

Ash is still around today, I guess, but we never hear from him. I wonder if one of you Dutch guys could contact him somehow and get him to join us in a topic about programming issues?

* Please don't pay attention to anything I wrote in those days. I can't believe the things I said! "Scrapping the two squares rule"? Must have been that old drug I used to use. Glad I've got a new one now. :D

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#112 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,535 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

Unbelievable as it sounds I ran into this situation myself for the first time just now.

No movable pieces with one left! 2-13-18 https://imgur.com/gallery/PpJvC

Notice I have a red major at the bottom left of the screen. I have chased out my HmmNess moves vertically and then the computer wouldn't let me move left one square after that to continue chasing.

There's no problem with the rules but the picture is ironic, though. I have no movable pieces left when I clearly do, at least on first glance. ;)

Can't believe the coincidence of just having discussed this earlier today. :)

i77rs4m.jpg

#113 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

What is the highest amount of games anyone has played on the site?

The gold captain I played yesterday had over 15000 played games  :o  :o  :o  :o

That is about 6 months of continuously playing Stratego, assuming 15-20 minutes per game.

I have less than 200 still. I don't think I will even get to 500, by that time I have moved to some new gaming hobby.

https://gyazo.com/39...d908aa9b654fbe7

An update on Roel1954 

40,972 games. This is with out seeing how many ties he has.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#114 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

The site has reached over 1k platinum players :)

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#115 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

The site has reached over 1k platinum players :)

Players or aliases?  :ph34r:    :rolleyes:

• Fks likes this

#116 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:28 PM

https://gyazo.com/39...d908aa9b654fbe7

An update on Roel1954 

40,972 games. This is with out seeing how many ties he has.

Yeah...and as he has apparently learned almost nothing about Stratego (whilst playing more than 40,000 games), he was easy to beat because he made incredibly foolish moves–no thought, no analysis, no reflection...he needs to leave this site and find the game called TREASURE HUNT. Sorry folks, but when I was able to take his marshal with my spy, and then convince him to lotto bombs with his general and colonel, this is indicative of a Stratego player that understands very little about this game.

#117 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:44 AM

Have you ever spent 10 frustrating minutes desperately trying to find your opponent's last Colonel, only to find out it's already been captured?  

Pro Tip:  Check the Graveyard stats frequently.

• GaryLShelton, Wogomite, Fks and 1 other like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#118 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

I have a topic I have wondered about. I am a nerd for loving to read Stratego rule books. I like to see consistency and inconsistencies. One rule I despise is when it says, "a scout may NOT move and strike in the same turn". Does anyone know anything about why this would be worded like this? Is it an American only rule? Not all American games say this, in fact, it is rare for the rule to be written this way.

#119 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

That's a rule scottrussia used to advocate for, if i remember well

#120 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

It certainly would make the scout much less effective and would in turn allow the spy to be a bit more bold and deceptive but that would also apply to the Marshal and General as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users