TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:00 PM

Would the modification dumb down the end game and reduce required skill or just make it different to result in less draws?

This is an interesting question. I think the modification (having a capturing king stop immediately after the final piece if it is a king) will make almost won or almost lost endgames a lot easier, but nearly drawn endgames a lot harder and interesting.

E.g. in regular draughts, you calculate endgames until you found a variation with a clear drawish position (given the piece counts and diagonals controlled), even sacrificing one or two men in the process. The stronger side has to check all these variations and the weaker side only has to find one that actually gives the draw. With the modfiied rules, you have to calculate more narrowly, because the side variations (where material is sacrificed) will lose quickly. The main variation however, goes on much deeper (you keep piece counts even as long as possible), and it requires a much more refined positional understanding to keep it that way. 

I have done some careful endgame analysis of a particular draughts GM with almost flawless endgame technique in very simple 4 vs 4 positions. In regular draughts, he made draws in all 50 of those positions, and with the modified rules he would have won about 25 of them. It's a change very much in favor of the stronger player IMO. I view a drawing percentage as a "tax" on strong play. If the drawing percentage is X percent, then you effectively pay X percent tax on your advantage that you have over your opponent. In Stratego, X is very low fortunately :)

Edited by TemplateRex, 12 November 2018 - 09:01 PM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#182 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:32 PM

It sounds like the modification would be a good thing. It's almost identical to the 'advantage over the final exchange' in Stratego. That mod would benefit the stronger player also where the way it is now results in a draw.
  • TemplateRex likes this

#183 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

I must say I've never noticed this effect of absent-mindedness, but it does sound amusingly like the classic Bugs and Daffy skit about "Rabbit Season". 

https://www.youtube....h?v=17ocaZb-bGg

:D

Mystery Player did the forced misclick tactic in this video link below.  I believe some of his videos were speeded up, but the forced misclick of the marshal attacking the general was still probably fast in normal mode.  Move slowly when your top pieces are pinned.  :D

https://youtu.be/rpERXSCDVb8?t=6m51s

• Don_Homer likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#184 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but have you ever heard the Stratego version with the "infiltrate" ?

I think it's a great gamemode and very interesting because the infiltrate can move from one step every time but when attacking with 2 steps, and he win the battle if he guess well the rank of the piece :

If he goes on a piece and say " I think it's a captain" and it is a captain then he win, otherwise he dies.

Do you think it would be possible for the stratego creators to add this version here?

• Don_Homer likes this

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#185 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but have you ever heard the Stratego version with the "infiltrate" ?

If he goes on a piece and say " I think it's a captain" and it is a captain then he win, otherwise he dies.

The infiltrator does not die if he guesses incorrectly, his location however is known. It is only fun to play with him in regards of changing up the game and making it different. When it comes to skill, the infiltrator only takes away from good skill. It allows a lesser player to have more of a chance verse a better player.

#186 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

More specifically, the infiltrator adds weight to a defensive style and makes a strong offense or attack weaker. Better players know how to attack and most of the time don't solely rely on defense. This piece helps a player with a weak attack or one that only defends.

#187 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

correct ^^ 

But would be nice to have this possibility, also the  pieces and 64 one

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#188 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

I never played the infiltrator game. Would like to play it. :)

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#189 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

Spot the error: (from this Belgian lifestyle magazine story https://maisonslash....e-kinders-doen)

IMG_4346-single.jpg

• Don_Homer, Dobby125, TheOptician and 2 others like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#190 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

Hehehe, seen that one quite a while ago. It was a cool vid, but when they started playing, I had some doubts.. :)

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#191 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 975 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:32 AM

LOL! They' ve rotated the board 90 degrees! Could this be a variant?

If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 962 (Platinum Marshal)

#192 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:18 AM

Has anybody ever played a game where your opponent hits all 6 of your bombs with fairly high pieces?  I recently played a game where my opponent ran his Colonel, Lieutenant, 3 Majors and Marshal into all 6 of my bombs.  He had to be frustrated.   That's just ridiculously bad lotto luck. 6 bombs on one side of the board can be baffling.  :)   

#193 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Has anybody ever played a game where your opponent hits all 6 of your bombs with fairly high pieces?  I recently played a game where my opponent ran his Colonel, Lieutenant, 3 Majors and Marshal into all 6 of my bombs.  He had to be frustrated.   That's just ridiculously bad lotto luck. 6 bombs on one side of the board can be baffling.  :)   

His fault for playing stupid.

He finds a few bombs on the weak side, ok, let's say he found two bombs with major and lieutenant and hasn't found any high pieces on that side. What does he expect to be there? Obviously it's a side filled with bombs and garbage. 

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 07 February 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#194 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

His fault for playing stupid.

He finds a few bombs on the weak side, ok, let's say he found two bombs with major and lieutenant and hasn't found any high pieces on that side. What does he expect to be there? Obviously it's a side filled with bombs and garbage. 

He played OK until he lost his Colonel to my Marshal.  Then he started lottoing and the fun began.  The 1st piece that hit a bomb was a Colonel.  Then he lost a Lieutenant. The he lost his 3 Majors.  Then he lost his Marshal.  And he hit a known bomb a 2nd time with a Spy.  Then he quit.  I probably played almost 2000 games over the years and don't think I've ever played anybody that hit all 6 bombs in a game before(of course my memory is bad). I don't think this guy was scouting my setup either.  I just think he was desperately hoping to find the  flag.

#195 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 3 weeks ago

What setup style do you think is easier to beat?

A Balanced Setup or Strong/Weak side setup?

I think I do better against Strong/Weak side setups.

#196 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 3 weeks ago

What setup style do you think is easier to beat?

A Balanced Setup or Strong/Weak side setup?

I think I do better against Strong/Weak side setups.

Depends on your own setup (partly luck based) and how quick you realise that its a strong/weak side and or balanced setup :)

• Dobby125 likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users