OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

Also your memory was really bad in this match .

My memory this match was about the same as it is every match :/

And when you are getting close to 50, it is more likely to get worse rather than better

• rgillis783 likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#22 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Another video is up!

Created a new channel and will be deleting my previous videos and place them here with properly editing out of usernames, since I usually do not ask permission (many do not use battlechat).

https://www.youtube....h?v=OQzezK0wql0

Game vs a Silver General with very passive play style. I suppose many of his opponents must impale themselves.

I thought I did quite well, though I managed to forget a colonel at least once. My last move was a blunder, since I thought the piece had moved :/

• groundbob likes this

#23 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for posting videos. It's great to see players of your level and how you do things.

Will you ever be adding a vocal commentary,so viewers can understand your thought processes a bit more? 

• rgillis783 likes this

#24 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Unlikely. I prefer posting them at double speed and few times will I have the possibility to have a quiet environment. You do not want to hear me yell at my children while playing :/

• groundbob likes this

#25 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Unlikely. I prefer posting them at double speed and few times will I have the possibility to have a quiet environment. You do not want to hear me yell at my children while playing :/

Haha, ah ok fair enough. I often have my cat meowing at me when I do vids from home too,so I understand.

It's still great to see the battles,so again,thanks for posting them. I've subbed to your channel.

Feel free to have a look at mine,if you haven't already,it's always nice to see new people interacting.

#26 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

I have seen various of your games, you obviously suck at stratego and we must play a game soon ;)

• groundbob likes this

#27 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

I lose games too and the below is an example

https://www.youtube....h?v=sWcXa6K_Zi4

The early general put me in an awkward spot, but the biggest problem was my own play: why the ♥♥♥♥ did I pick up that leftwing major with my general? That should have been a colonel, obviously. I uld have been totally fine with my general hidden in the center. When I moved my lieutenant adjacent to his general, I thought really long about moving my marshal instead. That would have been a game deciding moment. I haven't really reviewed my endgame, it pained me too much that I left my general offside.

#28 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

I have seen various of your games, you obviously suck at stratego and we must play a game soon ;)

Hahaha oh absolutely! I definitely suck at Stratego!

Which again is why I appreciate & thank you ,for your games/vids and the chance for me, to learn and get better.

#29 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Showing off some homework, for those who hate losing vs lotto-ers and blitzers. Fortunately, these guys barely frequent the forum, so do not expect them to become familiar with the below mentioned setup at all.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yhQrzYv70lI

• KissMyCookie likes this

#30 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Showing off some homework, for those who hate losing vs lotto-ers and blitzers. Fortunately, these guys barely frequent the forum, so do not expect them to become familiar with the below mentioned setup at all.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yhQrzYv70lI

Greetings OuweSok!

Thank you for the video and for your thought provoking commentary. You have made several very useful remarks, and I appreciate the value of them having encountered in my last dozen games primarily blitzers and lotto fiends. The double horizontal bomb on the right flank is definitely a nasty surprise, but do you feel that by blocking those pieces might develop into a problem if you end up in a more conventional play after an initial blitz upon your forces?

It would be a wonderful follow up to your fine video if you are able to use this etup and report some of your results. As another point of consideration, if your blitzer attacks your center on the right lane, this could pose some challenges. The spy is in a good place to start moving around when it is needed, and could easily bluff as a marshal or general, but it seems unless you are very careful, a center blitz could develop into something much more problematic. How would you be inclined to handle such a blitz I have described with your set up?

Thanks, again for this Old Sock Special Sockeroo!!!  :D

#31 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Not many blitz through the center and actually I have noted that most blitz on the left (their right). Not sure if statistically significant though. A blitzer that starts in the center will often lotto through your first row to a wing and either side will end up fatal for the marshal.

I am showing this setup mainly because I do not expect to use it much. I will use it if I play someone who I have played before and blitzed me or maybe if I am  paired vs an opponent with much lower rating, who might be more inclined to deploy a lotto strat.

The two side by side bombs in the third row are certainly unusual. The second bomb should be able to catch a piece after the first has been discovered. Having that specific 2x2 block of pieces unmoved and unattacked doesn't feel like an endgame burden to me. Sooner or later opponent will need to clear them up.

You are of course free to set up up your minefield any other way.

Edited by OuweSok, 01 October 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#32 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Not many blitz through the center...

This makes for an interesting case study. I am going to keep track of the blitzers I encounter and through which lane because more than 50% of the lotto/blitzers I have encountered in recent times have come straight through the center. You are correct, of course, that statistically, most prefer a blitz on one of the flanks. There has been some good discussion about this and why, particularly your observation of the opponent's right hand, our left flank blitz.

I will keep a tally and report about it in another week or so. For you, however, your experience has been the right handed blitz primarily?

#33 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

Oh boy. Won two more games, playing terribly. I can't bring myself to publish them. In one I had like Colonel+miner+scout vs colonel+2 majors+2 minors and my opponent moved a defending piece one square too far away from the flag and is probably still kicking him/herself when my scout suddenly appeared in the back row and there was nothing that could be placed in between.

In the other I won a general vs two majors, gifted a lot of smaller material with stupid moves and was down like 4 pieces with me having marshal+general+colonel + spy vs his marshal+colonel+2 majors. I had no idea where his pieces were, besides colonel and marshal (pinning my gen) and no idea how to win the game, but he resigned after I captured his spy !?!?!

If I ever want to get to 600, I really need to learn and play better

• KissMyCookie likes this

#34 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

If I ever want to get to 600, I really need to learn and play better...

As one of the truly great players of this game told me, "We all start at 100 ELO, right?"

Well, it is up to us to spend the time learning the game, building our technique so that we make less and less mistakes during a match, and then very patiently and persistently, climb upward (even falling down along the way), but always remaining focused on building upon our experience. Clearly, you have been doing exactly this, so I think you will be climbing higher into the gold level even after you might fall back to silver colonel...you have already down this before and you are back at gold!

Keep up the good fight!  :)

#35 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

Another game has been added:

https://www.youtube....h?v=LLlU68-HPr0

Lately I have encountered various times that after the early game, players around ELO=500 like to come in with their marshal right through the center, aiming at a known captain or major and hoping/expecting to dodge the spy. If your spy isn't ready, you will end up in a tight spot, as was the case in this game. He also lotto-ed an piece that hadn't moved, so boo at him.

• Major Nelson likes this

#36 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

And another one

https://www.youtube....h?v=AUSpYQ1sInk

I lost a major cleanly vs a colonel n the opening, but accumulated a large advantage in smaller pieces and information after that. I forgot about a colonel and I allowed his spy to escape at least twice. Besides my usual amnesia, there was also alcohol to blame this time  :wacko:

• tobermoryx and Major Nelson like this

#37 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

...there was also alcohol to blame this time  :wacko:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cMueBcvL9h4

#38 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Captain

• Moderators
  • 940 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

With the first game it's annoying when a player takes a chance like that but perhaps the odds were in his favour there . After that ,i think exchanging your highest pieces when the Marshals are gone and you are way down is like a drawn out way of surrendering .

Better to get your General as far away from his as you can . At least then he has to find your flag.

In the 2nd game i thought you played really well ( apart from giving up a sergeant and a captain to find a Colonel you already knew ) .

#39 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

Another game vs a silver marshal that wielded his marshal early through the middle. This time, my defenses were up. A solid game, with one serious missed chance - can you spot it?

https://www.youtube....h?v=z5aSq5z-qgQ

#40 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

A new setup and a nice wild west game vs a Gold Miner. Him lotto-ing a clean colonel hurt. I'm sure I made plenty of errors, but it was a fun game at the end.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UfIORx2AYek

• Major Nelson likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

roeczak