Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted 2 weeks ago

Broken Pieces: Miners

That is 9/12 already, only three episodes to go!

Somehow I had missed this episode. Nice to remind us of the Monty Hall problem about update the beliefs about the piece that could have captured but didn't. Had never realized this trick, will try it out! 

Anyway, I wonder what your advice is on *when* to come in with a miner piece (or bluffing a miner) through the central lane and also how to defend against this?

On the offense: is it worth it to use a miner and try and loosen up the base by having it intercepted?  

On the defense: in the late middle game, I have often difficulty deciding whether such an incoming piece is a) a real miner B) a high/top piece trying to dominate the center or c) a bluff piece (sarge e.g.) to let me expose a high piece. I often blindly put a sarge in front to block in case it's a miner and when I also don't want to expose my high piece yet. Maybe I should just not move at all and have him guess for the flag (I find that kinda scary, prefer to block, but I realize this is a leak that will cost me against people who play me more often).

Anyway, my intuition on this is probably way off, but I find that a mix of top piece charges, miner charges and bluff charges (especially when the spy is still in play) is pretty hard to get right.

#202 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 2 weeks ago

These are midgames questions and kind out of the range of Broken Pieces.

You can make bluff attacks with minors or small pieces when you have an information advantage on bigger pieces and opponent is running out of scouting material and will be scared you come in running with something big.

As a rule of thumb, if your opponent is entering your position with an unknown piece and it would be very risky to do this with a big piece, assume it isn't a big piece.

Just try and get information advantage and you will be less prone to bluff attacks.

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#203 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

Gravon game 2

A tight game with plenty of errors (I think I scouted a lieutenant three times lol) and a nailbiting finish!

• Fks and TemplateRex like this

#204 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted A week ago

Really, really nice game! High level play.  Loss of major by his/her general was a pitty. I really enjoyed this vid!

• OuweSok likes this

thus spoke zarathustra

#205 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

Hohohoho almost done!

Broken Pieces: Lieutenants

11 down, one to go! This was the shortest episode of all - lieutenants are quite boring and mediocre :)

• Fks, The Achaean and TemplateRex like this

#206 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted A week ago

Showing off some homework, for those who hate losing vs lotto-ers and blitzers. Fortunately, these guys barely frequent the forum, so do not expect them to become familiar with the below mentioned setup at all.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yhQrzYv70lI

After losing 2 times in a row against lottoing bronze players with my main setup, I copied your setup verbatim and just beat a silver player with it on my first attempt (with 8K games and < 50% score, so I was 99% sure he would be lottoing/blitzing).

He came in with 2 captains along the A-file and B-files, the first taking scout, the second taking the sarge. My major took on B4, his other captain took my lieut and died on my bomb one move later.

I then misplayed it a bit, instead of moving captain to B4 and bringing the major to A3 and marsh to B3 covering both, I moved the major back to B3 in front of my marsh. He then moved in with an unknown piece along the A-file, which I took with my major (didn't want to allow a miner coming down), finding his marsh. Some moves later, my spy was on C4, my unknown marsh on B3, his marsh on A4. Then he followed up with an unknown piece coming down the B-file, and as he entered B4, I took with my marshal and got his general, after which he disconnected. :)

So all in all an easy win, but the setup is perhaps a little vulnerable to the somewhat unusual double captain + marsh attack (too few scouting pieces to find out the second wave).  

• OuweSok likes this

#207 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

Excellent result :D

Every setup is vulnerable to something. The good thing is that your opponent doesn't know the vulnerabilities in your setup. They will misguess a lot if it isn't obvious. And if an effective counter strategy is unusual, you are in fine shape most of the time!

I have used this setup vs pretty good players as well, only bringing the right colonel one step closer (basically exchanging sergeant and colonel) and you know, it plays fairly well against everything, really.

Edited by OuweSok, A week ago.

#208 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted A week ago

Excellent result :D

Every setup is vulnerable to something. The good thing is that your opponent doesn't know the vulnerabilities in your setup. They will misguess a lot if it isn't obvious. And if an effective counter strategy is unusual, you are in fine shape most of the time!

I have used this setup vs pretty good players as well, only bringing the right colonel one step closer (basically exchanging sergeant and colonel) and you know, it plays fairly well against everything, really.

So you use the colo to cover the captain against majors on the right, and in case a marshal/general comes blitzing in on your right, you use the sarge as a fake marshal/spy cover for your colo? Did you lose that colo often and how did you cope with that?

BTW, that silver player was a bit of a lunatic. After I found out his marsh, I scouted twice + moved lieut + major to the center to clear 2 sarges with my lieut, then put my unknown major with a scout behind it on E7. I had scouted F8 (another lieut) and then he just took my unknown major with his colo (!!) on E8. This completely baffled me, as I thought I had represented a general there, so why one would every take with a colo is beyond me. Although, shame on me for not using the lieut to fake the general.

Edited by TemplateRex, A week ago.

#209 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

The idea of the setup is that you advance quickly in the center and make room to move spy to the right or colonel out of the way. Of course if he goes directly at your colonel without losing time hitting any of the three surrounding bombs, you might not get out in time. Power to them, in that case.

• TemplateRex likes this

#210 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted 6 days ago

The idea of the setup is that you advance quickly in the center and make room to move spy to the right or colonel out of the way. Of course if he goes directly at your colonel without losing time hitting any of the three surrounding bombs, you might not get out in time. Power to them, in that case.

Some more play testing this setup (~10 games or so). First, the good: you get some spectacular victories. In one game, I faced a full blown marshal blitz down my right and had a major die on the G1 bomb, the general running into the marshal on my left, and the marshal taking the colonel (covered by the spy). Your phrase of "sit back and relax" was never more true :)

Against non-blitzing players, the I1-J2 rectangle is vulnerable in the endgame. Bring them out too soon, and you are moving too much, and bringing them out too late and they will be sitting ducks for a lieut. I've had to concede a draw in one game, and lost another game that I was winning because I couldn't bring out the needed miner in time. Maybe I didn't switch to offense fast enough in these games though, because in one game, instead of taking the bait on my left, my opponent exchanged major and then captain and scouted my marsh and general with bluff pieces afterwards. I still managed to win the game, but it was very uncomfortable. I tend to fall behind in the piece count with this setup, so if the big pieces don't come barging in early, you need to adapt and can't afford to sit back.

Anyway, the joy of seeing blitzers falling victim to the marshal on B2 is priceless, and outweighs some small disadvantages. :)

#211 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 6 days ago

If you do not like the bombs at I2-I2, feel free to place them elsewhere. I1-I2 or J1-J2 seems totally fine too

#212 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 4 days ago

The reverse Marshal bluff

Add this to your arsenal of tricks. Let me know when you have been able to pull it off!

• Fks likes this

#213 Fks

Fks

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 4 days ago

I did this in a Wco match. And got a colonel out of it :) But I fear this is not the best when there are so many scouts on board. I personally fear this play and look out for it. edit (this might give away to much of my own play book but always need to evolve) I tried a similar play vs Henry domerkant in winter tournament of putting a General in front of a known col I misread his piece and ended up hitting a serg instead of a major nearby.

Edited by Fks, 4 days ago.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#214 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 5 hours ago

Broken Pieces: Captains

The 12th and episode! Finally! I hope many starting players will find this series, because I think it has ended up being a pretty good educational series , if I may say so myself.

The last video in this series also marks the end of my Youtube channel and my posting here. I am kind of done with Stratego. I might squeak in a video or post more, but do not expect much of it. It is time to move on, as I have bigger IRL fish to fry right now, like a new job.

Thank you all for paying attention to my posts and videos. Thank you for replying, liking, disliking, stalking and removing my posts. GL and HF.

• ScottLafaro, rgillis783, Major Nelson and 1 other like this

#215 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 5 hours ago

That's a shame. I would genuinely miss your postings. You make me laugh with how much you egg people on and stir the pot... :D :D

This forum would be boring otherwise. Just a discussion of new cases being opened (and not the alcoholic kind!) and an amalgamation of US politics. 

Regardless, good luck with whatever you pursue next. 

"bedankt",

Josh

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 5 hours ago.

• rgillis783 likes this

#216 Nortrom

Nortrom

Major

• WC Online Team
  • 1,020 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 5 hours ago

I hope you'll be back shortly. I wish you best at your new job (hope it doesn't have anything to do with the L. V. University ;))

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

Follow the 3rd Online World Championship: http://forum.strateg...d-championship/

#217 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted 5 hours ago

Too bad you are more or less done with the game. I wonder how you got so quickly to platinum (~200 games / 6 months)? And would the next level (platinum marshal) be "more of the same" (better memory, better deception, whatever) and not require fundamentally new skills for you?

Anyway, please keep the existing videos up on YouTube! I'm learning a lot from them.

#218 Fks

Fks

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 5 hours ago

aww :(

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#219 rgillis783

rgillis783

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 3 hours ago

I refuse to give ya a send off-old sock ! Claiming your done pff. I wish to see ya hold that Platinum rank for next six months, while getting put up against equal to higher rank players in match's. With that being said my wish's almost never come true. Starting a new job making new acquaintances that is a proper challenge. I and others will miss ya so Good Luck in all things, thank you for contributing to the game and site.  Raymond : )

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

roeczak