• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Gratz on platinum bro!

• OuweSok likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#182 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

Bravo ! Platinum suits you : )  Keep on rocking it OuweSok !

• OuweSok and Fks like this

#183 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

Thanks br0s

Not bad for a 49 old dude who hasn't played Stratego for more than 35 years to reach platinum in less than 200 ranked games.

I really thought Gold would be my max for my bad memory and all, but I just kept on winning 60% of my games.

It helps to only play when I feel fresh and focused. Forgetting pieces is very much related to fatigue. So any time I don't feel optimal I do some other thing , like viewing a video of someone else.

And when I feel really tired and unfocused I play a friendly vs Fks <3
  • groundbob and Fks like this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#184 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:08 AM

Heh we are ranked about the same right now. Let's click rank at same time and see who wins
  • OuweSok likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#185 Bestofboth

Bestofboth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Congratulations on reaching Platinum OuweSok. Thanks for the vids. Keep them coming please.

• OuweSok likes this

#186 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Broken Pieces: Spy

This one is shorter than most other episodes of broken pieces and probably also weaker content. I found it hard to think of more things to say about spy play.

#187 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for another instructive video! I often don't know what to do with the spy, lying in wait for the marshal feels a little passive. My favorite YouTube video with a nice spy catch is a win by Max Roelofs over Unladen Swallow (then sevenseas): https://www.youtube....vucaaRDd90&t=40

From one of my own games:

hEUfJCW.jpg

My opponent had a marshal (which I suspected to be at F4), and a miner (suspected at H3). My unscouted piece on G2 was a lieut, and I had a miner and a spy as well. He had a sarge on his own board half. I managed to pull off a John Le Carre move (aka  "the spy who came in from the cold") by pretending that my piece on C2 was my last miner and walking to E4 with it. When he didn't scout it, I knew for sure it was the marshal, because hitting on E4 would have trapped his last miner. So I hit on F4 and presto, got the marshal and the win :)

From earlier this week, a pretty bad spy play, should have done this with a fake spy, but anyway:

78N8QwA.jpg

My general was still unscouted, but shown for clarity. I had just hit on A9 with a lieut after cleaning up 3 sarges on that flank. This convinced me he had his flank sealed off, with the general on my right. I then moved in with my spy on F6, he didn't take it and moved the marsh to G7. Then my general hit on E7 and cleaned up the entire left flank finding colo+major+2 captains and junk. 

Anyway, I should have used a fake spy, even if he calls the bluff (unlikely?) and takes a sarge/scout, my general still enters his position for destruction, and he can't counter-attack with the marsh in the center, only with the general on my right. 

Edited by TemplateRex, 24 January 2018 - 11:22 AM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#188 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

Yup, I have seen that game between max and US. Atypical placement of spy that max is unlikely to do vs someone he doesn't know, but can be very effective vs someone you have a lot of meta with.

Hitting an unknown marshal with a spy is sweet. I think I have only pulled that off once or so.

Dislodging the marshal as a defender (often at the cost of your spy) and allowing some piece to penetrate defenses or escape is a play that can be very useful indeed.

#189 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Broken Pieces: Scouts

I want to get this series over with before I die (or worse: get banned), so here is another episode!

• Dobby125 and ScottLafaro like this

#190 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

Broken Pieces: Scouts

I want to get this series over with before I die (or worse: get banned), so here is another episode!

Nice as always, esepcially the tricky 2-square rule for scouts

One nitpick: the "peek-around-the-corner" scout jump can of course be countered by opponent scouts on the same row as where your scout jumped into, so the peeking attempt is not guaranteed to work if the row is not empty to the other side of your scout.

Another theme not discussed: keeping the last scout for draw purposes in case you lose out on quantity/quality (need 4 pieces or so to catch the last scout).

Edited by TemplateRex, 25 January 2018 - 11:41 PM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#191 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

I didn't discuss that because I think it is a very long shot to ever happen.
It is e.g. much more likely you can get to an open flag because of having an endgame scout.

Also I think it is fairly commonly known. I want to keep the length of the videos in check, so I preferred to discuss things that I think many players haven't considered or thought about and I think are actually relevant and can improve your (understanding of the) game.

#192 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

One of my subscribers is enthusiastic putting comments - lol

Especially in the game vs malcolm he freaks the freak out

• tobermoryx and Fks like this

#193 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,421 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

Ha Ha , i admire his passion for the game

i cannot explain how outrageously dissatisfied and discuss at how some of the platinum and high ranked guyz play you need to get intel before taking any pieces on the board and in my opinion that was completely lotto and i dont care that this guy play logically the fact is that if you really want to show you are good at stratego you have to acknowdledge from the start that you dont know what the is the opponent set up and play accordingly. I dont een care if losing the general to a colonel is not the end of the world and the guy has confidence in his comeback play. the principle of stratego is this one YOU DONT LOTTO YOUR HIGH RANKED PIECES UNLESS YOU HAVE INTEL OR SOME PROGRESS IN THE GAME TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON THE BOARD. anyone who does not play according to this is just a lotto player logical or not still does not matter this guy will never get close to the likes of hielco sohal. the general thing was absolutely disgusting and beginner imo although this guy would say it was planned and it was not a bad sacrifice. i just saw a video seconds ago of a platinum scout and i am ABSPLUTELY lmao at these guy and i am really happy to see their ♥♥♥ kicked. some of these so call platinum ranked players are nothing but fake player who tries to imitate very badly what the true master of the game do. they dont understand how complex a game stratego is and how patient the real very high ranked players play. all their decisions are ALWAYS based on hardproven factstudied principles and on some progress in the game. ANYBODY CAN DO WHAT THIS GUY DID .poor play.

#194 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:27 AM

Strangely I thought that piece had moved too.

#195 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Broken Pieces: Miners

That is 9/12 already, only three episodes to go!

• Fks likes this

#196 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Gravon game 1

Vs a passive shuffler who likes to needle his opponent in chat if he thinks he is ahead.

• Fks and TemplateRex like this

#197 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Broken Pieces: Sergeants

Uneventful piece, so a rather short video about sergeants!

• TemplateRex likes this

#198 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Broken Pieces: Sergeants

Uneventful piece, so a rather short video about sergeants!

About your preferences for sarges vs. scouts in the A and J columns' front lines: this seems inconsistent with your earlier post on initial piece values. There you valued an unknown scout at 2 (1 for known) and an unknown sergeant at 4 (3 for known).

Given the percentages on Gravon where the A and J columns have 40% lieut or higher, 17% sarge, 33% scout and 10% bomb (rounded), I get the following (ignoring common terms like exchanges and gaining info on bomb or higher pieces, S for sarge and V for scout):

1) AJ-scout: -1/2 V (lose against lieut or higher) - 1/6 V (lose against sarge) + 1/24 S (gain sarge info) 

2) AJ-sarge: -1/2 S (lose against lieut or higher) + 1/3 V (win against scout) - 1/12 S (give away sarge info)

Your preference sarge > scout in A/J columns, leads to the inequality: (1/2 + 1/12 + 1/24) S < (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/6) V or S < 8/5 V, so you value a sarge at less than 1.6 scout, instead of 2 scouts from your initial piece value post. 

What say you? :)

Edited by TemplateRex, 06 February 2018 - 11:41 AM.

#199 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

First of all, I have no clue if the value of scout=1 and sergeant =2 is accurate. malcolm for example, values them equal.

But anyway, that is not how I will answer your question. As said in the video, sergeant can be used for early game scouting, for bluffing and for late game base material.

We will agree that a sergeant is much much better piece to have in your endgame base than a scout. A scout loses to everything attacking your base.

We will agree that a sergeant is a better piece to bluff with, because he will attract scouts and set up a beneficial exchange for you (rather than a trade scout-scout).

When used for early game scouting, a sergeant and scout are much closer in value. And if the outer wing front piece of the opponent is 50% to be a sergeant/scout, than I'd say it it much better EV for you to attack there with a sergant than a scout.

Calculating:

In 1/2 I lose my serg/scout to a bomb or lieut. So attacking with serg is -0.5

In 1/6 I exchange sergeants rather than lose a scout, so attacking with serg gives me +1/6

in 1/3 I actually win a scout rather than exchange it, so attacking with sergeant gice me +1/3

Sum=0, if you value sergeant = 2xscout. Probably it is less than that, especially if the sergeant is on scout duty. That swings the favor to the sergeant atacking.

Also piece parity is important. Attacking with sergeant will gain you a piece or information 50% of the time.

#200 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the elaborate reply. I didn't mean to get bogged down in numbers, I think the math is easy enough. In the end it's also a judgement value how to estimate the immediate benefits of using a sarge/scout in the early game versus the opportunity costs of using them in the middle/endgame (scout for long jumping / spy killing / last resort flag attacks, sarge for bluffs and miner blocks). I agree that *if* you decide to use a sarge for scouting, that it should be done sooner rather than later (as you explained in the video). The question whether to use the sarge for scouting at all or use them exclusively as base filling for bluffs and blocks later on. Mixing it up like you advise is likely the best approach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users