Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZOEty5bWqy8

At 29 seconds, when your captain (surprisingly) isn't recaptured, what is your play? Retreat or hit again (assumably the lake piece)?

I was surprised by the retreat, I always jam to the left in this spot.

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#2 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

I think I'd retreat.  Even without hitting anything you've gained info on all the adjacent pieces.  You can rule out they are a major or colonel or they would captured it .  It's unlikely they would be a marsh or gen either since someone is probably not going to set-up such a defense of a lieutenant.  In this game retreat did turn out to be the right decision, because the captain was at least able to get another piece later on before it died on that bomb behind the lake.

• Don_Homer and tobermoryx like this

#3 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:03 AM

Yes , I don't mind losing a captain on a bomb by advancing there , but I was expecting it would be taken , and when it wasn't then it seemed I could perhaps find out what was there with my Lieutenant .

Though ironically my captain did meet both those pieces anyway.

#4 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:28 AM

I would attack the piece behind the lake if it was a captain or major (that took the piece below)

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world.

#5 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

I have found several generals and marshals this way vs silver opponents

I would attack the piece behind the lake if it was a captain or major (that took the piece below)

Not sure what you are saying here?

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

i would have captured the piece on the right of the captain cause a deal where you lose a cap to get a lieut + another piece even a scout + get info an a stronger piece is a good deal. On the other side i can also understand the lotto behind the lake as it may well be a marsh or gen that he doesn't want to reveal for a cap that took a lieut.

• Dobby125 likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 Alpha noir.

Alpha noir.

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

My online experience is still limited. But I've been playing stratego for about 30 years now.

When I play against a strong opponent, I do not expect a spy, marshal or general behind the lake (in the first row). Those pawns are not usually in the first row because you want to keep them hidden until late in the game.

I would return and not attack again.

#8 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

i would have captured the piece on the right of the captain cause a deal where you lose a cap to get a lieut + another piece even a scout + get info an a stronger piece is a good deal. 

It is true this is a good deal, but it's not the right comparison.  You have already captured the lieut.  This is done, and you can walk away with your winnings if you want.  So the decision is whether to give up the captain for one piece (which could be just a scout) in exchange for info.  I don't see this as such a good deal.

• Edmond Dantes 1844 likes this

#9 Edmond Dantes 1844

Edmond Dantes 1844

General

• Moderators
  • 2,091 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

I don't see this as such a good deal.

My family and I have just acquired the rights to sell the Brooklyn Bridge–that is a GREAT deal! May I interest you in considering what may be the deal of a lifetime???  :lol:

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

#10 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

It is true this is a good deal, but it's not the right comparison.  You have already captured the lieut.  This is done, and you can walk away with your winnings if you want.  So the decision is whether to give up the captain for one piece (which could be just a scout) in exchange for info.  I don't see this as such a good deal.

This is true, but not 100% true,but you forget to mention one thing imo. When you walk away, a now known piece walks away, while previously it was an unknown piece. One of the best chances to get additional value for your captain is right now, by hitting again. I would be more willing to walk away if it wasn't the very early game. I don't have a very good parking place right now for my known captain and it might clog up there in he front, so I personally prefer to go for additional value right now. I might be lucky and jam into another Captain.

#11 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

At that point it was most likely a major, so hitting it would be a serious mistake in my opinion.

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#12 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

in this game the number of pieces captured is often more important than the loss of a piece itself. At least in the end game having one more piece than the opponent is often more useful than having the strongest piece on the board. As long as you are not down in material you can allow yourself to risk losing one medium strength piece like a captain. In such situation a captain who would capture a lieut + minimum one other piece + reveal information on a stronger piece of the opponent has done a good job so he can get lost without weakening your army.  This can be sometimes true even up to colonel. for example you have identified opponent's gen in the center and several pieces have been moved on both sides but marsh is still unknown. you can risk a colonel on the right (= risk to get his marsh)  specially if you have a direct opportunity to capture a captain or a major, while preparing your gen on the left. As long as your colonel is not dead just eat what you can on the right and if he finds the marsh just start same game on left with your gen. You will most likely eat a major piece on left too. Of course you need to make sure to capture at least 3-4 pieces in the total battle (right + left) if you sacrifice a colonel. At the end of the battle you will have lost a col but gained 3-4 pieces (from which maybe 2 captains) while your marsh is still unknown but you know both gen and marsh of your opponent. In the game end the colonel he would have ahead is not sufficient against the 2 captains you have gained.

At that point it was most likely a major, so hitting it would be a serious mistake in my opinion.

well if it was a major he would have eaten the captain i guess ... i don't know any good reason for a major protecting a lieut to not capture a captain eating the lieut? this could be justify only if a colonel or higher was nearby and could have eaten the major without risk. As it was the beginning of the game with few pieces known this was unlikely to occur in that spot

• GaryLShelton and OuweSok like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#13 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZOEty5bWqy8

At 29 seconds, when your captain (surprisingly) isn't recaptured, what is your play? Retreat or hit again (assumably the lake piece)?

I was surprised by the retreat, I always jam to the left in this spot.

I have just seen this. Personally I am a player who is willing to give up material in the opening game for info as the material is easy to get back late opening - mid game. After just taking a luit you have already gained the material needed to keep an even game so if u where to to hit a bomb here or scout/miner and find a major/col imo u are winning. You no longer have to defend your captain and have a point of attacking and information of major/col and the rest of the adjacent pieces.

Honestly it's always weird when your opponent doesn't take the captain in that spot. Pulling back does give the option to put pressure on those 3 pieces later on with out threat of capture. And you have gained a full lane for just a captain. 

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#14 Edmond Dantes 1844

Edmond Dantes 1844

General

• Moderators
  • 2,091 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

Edited by KissMyCookie, 05 July 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#15 OuweSok

OuweSok

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

Oh look, I am back on page 1

*Edits notification settings*

#16 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 4,433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

We never did get to play each other.. it would be a fair match now that we're the same rank :)

4 months until flash goes bye-bye

#17 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

i would have captured the piece on the right of the captain cause a deal where you lose a cap to get a lieut + another piece even a scout + get info an a stronger piece is a good deal. On the other side i can also understand the lotto behind the lake as it may well be a marsh or gen that he doesn't want to reveal for a cap that took a lieut.

I tend to always want to scout the 4 block squares behind both lakes.  In this case, I probably would attack to the right as well.  The gravon stats say F7 is the least likely spot for a bomb.  You figure that piece is probably a captain or lower.  So the lotto stats say attack that piece.  Plus the opponent was attacking strongly on the right, so maybe that was his strong side.  You're more likely to gain valuable info by attacking the strong side(lottoing G7 instead of D7) and avoiding possible bombs on the weak side(even though D7 is also very low chance of being a bomb). 

Retreating is not a bad option either(after being up 2 lieutenants), especially if the opponent is much better than you.  You could bring the captain back and shuffle it with hopes of your opponent forgetting what is was(I have to find that game where I scouted a captain 3 times in less than 10 minutes...oops).  Plus you had 3 scouts and a lieutenant to do scouting instead.  I think I would have scouted with the lieutenant, if I retreated with the captain.

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#18 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

id hit with captain in 80% of cases, unless its likely to be the weak side

• Fks likes this
I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world.

#19 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

Oh look, I am back on page 1

*Edits notification settings*

Hi old man, great to see you on forums :)
  • rgillis783 likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users