Photo

The Pharaoh (Official Newspaper of the Pyramid League)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,822 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:41 PM

Is it possible to be .... hmm.... relegated upon request?  :ph34r:

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#62 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:53 AM

... play for fun not for money! :D

• Fairway likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#63 Wogomite

Wogomite

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

Congratulations to Hielco for being the Apex Pyramid Pharoh (champion) 2019.

Edited by Wogomite, 21 October 2019 - 10:54 PM.

• Hielco and Master Mind like this

#64 Wogomite

Wogomite

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

As for the core division, the next Apex qualifier is left to only four players, Sorrow, Great Manos, Panther65 and LAZZLO. It is likely that only two will be left at the end of this week. Leaving Sorrow and probably only one of the other three.
  • Master Mind likes this

#65 Wogomite

Wogomite

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:54 PM

As for base...
For the Amenhotep group, if andreas94 beats yiaver, andreas94 will become champion, if he loses or draws to yiaver, garlick will be the champion. It all comes down to this final match up.

The Thutmose squad still has a whopping five players still in the running.
Napoleon2eme, LeChuck, GrShark, Nickoriginal21 and hellinon are putting up a tough fight to become champion but only one will overcome this brutal battle!

Edited by Wogomite, 21 October 2019 - 11:24 PM.

• Verti_GO likes this

#66 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:59 PM

Congrats Garlick/Andreas94, you both played really well. And congrats to the other group champions as well.

Edited by Verti_GO, 22 October 2019 - 06:08 AM.

#67 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,676 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:01 PM

As for base, the Amenhotep champion is already decided with garlick. Congrats!

The Thutmose squad still has a whopping five players still in the running.
Napoleon2eme, LeChuck, GrShark, Nickoriginal21 and hellinon are putting up a tough fight to become champion but only one will overcome this brutal battle!

If andreas94 beats yiaver then he wins on head to head

• Master Mind likes this

#68 Wogomite

Wogomite

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:18 PM

Sorry, I missed that. My bad!
I edited the correct information in.

Edited by Wogomite, 21 October 2019 - 11:21 PM.

#69 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Yesterday I took a walk around the Pyramid to digest it in all of its glory. This year each face of the Pyramid has been designated to a Division, where the games take place on platforms that extend from the face of the Pyramid.

If you are lucky enough to afford the 5,000 Battlecoin fee for a season ticket, TC place you on the top of the face where such is the angle that you can look down the Pyramid and watch multiple games simultaneously. Make sure your hands are steady though - on a couple of occasions this tournament a piece has been sent tumbling down the Pyramid by a casual hand. roeczak v texaspete09 was actually delayed for 15 minutes whilst a piece-boy (the tennis equivalent of ball-boy) went to find a sargeant in the sand. And then later - during don mitsos v leppie - a spectator knocked a can of Pyramid Soda (2 battlecoins) which tumbled down the face and narrowly missed the playing board. We can only imagine the carnage that would have occurred had the soda not took a deflection off the elbow of panther65. I kind of wanted it to happen just to see what the referee would do. (The referee by the way moves up ad down the face using some special kind of Spiderman-grip shoes - it truly is a sight to behold).

That's enough rubbish, let's take a look at the tables, starting with...

CORE

The reduced overall field this year means that there is only one Core Division (last year there were 2). This is fortunate for the organisers as they would be fast running out of Egyptian names to distinguish between the two The star and runaway perfomer to date has been Sorrow with 7 wins, one defeat and a draw. The Baron - as his army of fans call him (or should I say fan) has also been unlucky after defeating Spion... in the opening week, yet has since seen that victory scrubbed off after the latter resigned. Sorrow can guarantee the Core title and thus promotion to the esteemed Apex by defeating panther65. This game is not scheduled for another three weeks, which gives the only three that can catch him a chance to close the gap. 

They are up against it though - LAZZLO, panther65 and Great Manos would have to win all their remaining games (6,5 and 5 respectively) to get to 16 points. (Sorrow is currently on 15 - so a draw against panther65 wouldn't be enough to guarantee top spot).

It remains to be seen whether 2nd place would be enough to gain a spot in Apex for next year. According to the Pyramid Qualification Table 2019, the Core Runners up tie with 8th in Apex for the reserve spots. But of course - that assumes the Qualification Table will remain unchanged by TC (and for the purposes of the rest of this round-up I will assume that the table is unchanged by denoting *). If Master Mind - who currently occupies the runner-up spot - beats Angelos353 he would reach 14 points and thus rule out the runners up chances of anyone not already mentioned. Should he draw that would lend an outside chance to TheOptician and Angelos353, and should he lose then don mitsos and fighter68 are also afforded theoretical chance of a runners up score of 12 points. 

At the bottom, we have already seen the first two players to lose their spots through withdrawal - Spion... and Jesus_saves. This incidentally hit Pyramid Lottery players very hard, as between them those two were selected for a Top 2 spot in 16 of the 24 selections. 9 players* retain their Core spot which means 2 players are left to lose their entitlement.

leppie can score a maximum of 9 points, whilst Fairway can score a maximum of 10 points. This means that 11 points is currently the guaranteed safety figure though that is sure to drop over the coming weeks

• Morx and Master Mind like this

#70 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:59 PM

BASE (Thutmose)

The pre-tournament clear favourite Napoleon2eme (indicated by 12 out of 12 players choosing him for the title in the Pyramid Lottery) has the pole position in his hands after 4 wins and a draw. However he is not the only player with the title in his hands - GrShark can catch him should he win his remaining games (these two still have to play each other).

nickoriginal21 still has an outside chance - he can get to 10 points by winning his last 3 games - and should he do that he would also need Napoleon2eme to fail to beat GrShark. The same applies to hellinon who could also reach 10 points with 5 wins on the spin. LeChuck can mathematically also finish top too - though he would a string of results to go his way.

Only the winner* of the division is guarantee a spot in Core next year, though on past experience the runners up stand a good chance of a place too. Kambia currently holds the runners up spot with 8 points - but barring a highly improbable sequence will get overtaken by one of the aforementioned players. The same can be theoretically said for PHAETHON who could also get to 8 points.

There is no relegation in Base - at least not until TC can attract something in the region of 100 players....

BASE (Amenhotep)

This division also saw the participants of the Pyramid Lottery predict a stone-cold favourite, however things have not gone to plan for maxroelofs with 3 defeats from 4. This has paved the way for either garlick or andreas94 to take the title and a spot in Core. andreas94 is the player with the title in his hands and needs to beat yiaver to finish top on head-to-head. If this doesn't happen, garlick takes the crown.

As for the runners up spot - should yiaver beat andreas94 and win his other three games, then he could get to 8 points which would tie with andreas94 and Verti_GO

APEX

The first confirmed champion of the Pyramid 2019 is Hielco - congratulations! He becomes the second unique winner of the competition after OVERLORD won the first two. Hielco has one left to play against texaspete09 but can afford to lose it as his head to head record is better than roeczak (level on points) and Major Nelson (who could equal his points tally). Major Nelson needs a victory against playa1 to climb above roeczak into second place.

The top 3 are decided, and there are 7 places* to be retained overall - leaving three for the dreaded relegation.

Henry domerkant has a good chance of 4th and is the only player outside the top three who is definitely safe (currently 9 points is enough to guarantee safety).

Moghedien (1 from 6) and mrbrainiac (0 from 5) need to register some serious wins to climb out of trouble, whilst Napoleon 1er is precariously placed having finished on 5 points. josephwhite, texaspete09 and playa1 are the other players who could still go down should one or both of the bottom two end in a flourish.

THE PYRAMID LOTTERY

At the start of this competition hopes of the Lottery finally finding a winner were high - given the so-called predictability of the Base divisions.

Yet as you can see from the below table, there is only one player who still has an (extremely outside) chance of nailing the £50 pot...

If all of the following things happen:

Major Nelson to bt playa1 to take second
Sorrow loses to panther65 and Great Manos wins his remaining 5 games to take second
Napoleon 2eme fails to win either of his last 2 games and hellinon wins his remaining 5 games to take second
andreas94 loses to yiaver

then he'll be laughing

s6Fqfdl.jpg

His name is Fairway

Edited by Javier Flag, 23 October 2019 - 07:20 AM.

• Fairway likes this

#71 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,822 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:00 AM

Entirely possible :)

• Losermaker likes this

#72 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,042 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

Sorry Fairway, but I don't have the intention to lose my next to games... :)
I never lose, I win or I learn…

#73 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,822 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:14 AM

Any updates on the pyramid lottery? Maybe I should give up playing stratego and take up predicting stratego ;) seeing as 3 weeks ago still 7 out of 8 of my picks were possible (dang it Max...)

#74 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,676 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Fairway and roeczak performed the best on Ticket 1 (both with 3/4 correct).

On Ticket 2, Fairway, Spion... and Sorrow could still get a maximum of 2/4 correct.

#75 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,042 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:15 PM

When will final results be published?

#76 Master Mind

Master Mind

Colonel

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,503 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

When all games are played (4 games left)

Link to Strategobond Nederland Youtube Channel for live games: https://www.youtube....tegobond/videos

#77 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,042 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:27 PM

How many games are left?

#78 Master Mind

Master Mind

Colonel

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,503 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:46 PM

Rumours are going TC's undercover reporter, dr. Javier F., is travelling to the famous Pyramids where he will talk with the contestants at location to report the final results!

• roeczak and Napoleon 2ème like this

Link to Strategobond Nederland Youtube Channel for live games: https://www.youtube....tegobond/videos

#79 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

It feels a little eerie walking around the Pyramid site, These dusty corridors that have been crawling with people are now almost deserted. I say almost - as there are still a few players literally crawling who have been brought to their knees in disappointment at a missed flag or in agony at a well-placed bomb. As I take in the emotion of the scene around me, a kid hands me a flyer. And then I understand why there is no-one here - everyone is at the Pyramid Party 2019.

I make my way inside the Pyramid and the walls begin to shake as I feel the bass kick in. I grab a Cleopatra Foccacia and a Sphinx cocktail (also known as a Vodka Marmite) for only 5 battlecoins as the music draws nearer. Finally I can make out a soaring Lyre dancing above the bass. But first, the live leaderboard catches my eye. It is strange to see a television monitor alongside an ancient tombstone.

Thutmose

Napoleon 2eme sealed the victory - and promotion to Core - going unbeaten (6W1L - 13pts) making the title a fairly uncontested contest. GrShark was 4 points behind in second place (4W2L1D - 9 pts), whilst Kambia (4W3L - 8 points) managed to hold off LeChuck (4th - 7 points) and PHAETHON (5th - 7 points). hellinon was a point behind in 6th (6 points), followed by nickoriginal21 (4pts) and queenbee1 (2 pts). It was good to see that everyone in this Division experienced victory.

Amenhotep

This division produced one of the most exciting finishes in the Pyramid. In fact it wasn't until the last game of the tournament that andreas94 (5W1L - 10 pts) took the victory to finish above garlick (5W1L - 10 pts) on head-to-head record. One of the contenders for most improved is surely Verti_GO (4W2L - 8pts) who grabbed a podium place in 3rd. Capt.gunter (4-6pts) finished 4th ahead of maxroelofs (4-6pts) on head-to-head, with yiaver (0-2pts) taking 6th ahead of innergamer (0pts) who was unable to make it to the end of the Pyramid. 

Core

There were a couple of players who still had a shot going into the last couple of weeks but in the end Sorrow (8W1L1D - 17 pts) powered to victory and gains a spot in Apex. My much worse looking brother TheOptician (6W3L1D - 13 pts) narrowly grabbed the runner-up position by a point ahead of a queue of warriors behind him who were all separated on head-to-head record: Master Mind (6W4L - 12 pts) took 3rd ahead of panther65 (6W4L) in 4th and don mitsos (5W3L2D) in 5th, whilst Great Manos (10-12pts) took 6th. fighter68 (8 pts) finished strongly to rise above the relegation places in 7th, followed by Angelos353 (7pts) in 8th. Fairway (6-8pts) held off LAZZLO (6pts) on head-to-head record, whilst few would have predicted leppie (5pts) to be holding up the division.

Apex

The top positions in Apex were settled fairly early in the tournament, but congratulations go to Hielco (8W1L - 17 pts) for earning his first Pyramid Title. There is no doubt that the gap is closing with hungry young players behind - particularly the 'terrible trio' as they have become known in some parts of Greece. One of those members - roeczak (7W2L - 14 pts) has really emerged as an elite player this year as he takes the Apex runner-up spot ahead of his good friend Major Nelson (6W3L - 12 pts). Another strong performance from josephwhite (10-12 pts) gave him 4th spot ahead of Henry domerkant (10pts) and playa1 (8-10 pts), whilst texaspete09 (4-8pts) avoided automatic relegation on head-to-head over Napoleon1er (5pts). Rounding out Apex is Moghedien (1-3pts) and mrbrainiac (0pts) who disappeared after a few games.

------

It is a little hard to tell what this actually means in terms of qualifications for the next Pyramid, as the Qualification Table was designed to have 2 Core Divisions, but there ended up being only one. Followers of Stratego around the globe will be lining up to hear how this is going to play out.

Talking of lining up, I've now made my way to the brutal dancefloor deep within the Pyramid walls. As has become tradition, the Division winners are all holding hands dancing away to a filthy tune. Photography is forbidden - in case it wakes the Mummies - but I did manage to pen a quick sketch of Hielco, Sorrow, Napoleon 2eme and andreas94:

ehOPa3A.jpg

But who is who? Till next time, dear readers.

• Don_Homer, Kambia, Master Mind and 1 other like this

#80 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

The Prize pool for Base - Pyramid League 2019 is awarded as follows:

Napoleon 2eme & andreas94  -    22 Euros

garlick & GrShark                    -     17 Euros

Verti_GO & Kambia                -      11 Euros

To collect Please PM Javier Flag who will put you in touch with the anonymous sponsor

• Don_Homer and Master Mind like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users