Photo

The Pharaoh (Official Newspaper of the Pyramid League)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

Today we celebrate the founding of this newspaper, dedicated to the Pyramid League.

At the time of press, 50 players have signed up for this Divisions tournament which begins on July 2nd, and involves 11 games in 17 weeks (with players being afforded full flexibility in arranging games).

For the undecided, just over a week remains to register. You can do so here:

http://forum.strateg...id-league-2017/

The deadline is Saturday July 1st 23.59GMT

TC have informed The Pharaoh that rules will be available soon.

During the tournament we will keep you updated on the latest news and gossip. We have even heard rumours of a special competition (for participants only) that carries the chance to win a delicious prize...

This newspaper is open to anyone to write i, so if you have something to share please feel free.

Absolute best regards from everyone here at the Pharaoh.

#2 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Sergeant

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Isn't it pharaoh?

• Lonello likes this

Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#3 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

In Dutch it certainly is ;).

Lo

#4 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

In England it certainly is too. ;)

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#5 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

That's what it says? ;-)
  • Lonello and Wogomite like this

#6 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

24 hours remain until Registration closes for the Pyramid.

http://forum.strateg...id-league-2017/

This is also a great time to introduce the Pyramid Lottery:

http://forum.strateg...yramid-lottery/

#7 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

The Pyramid League is officially up and running. An incredible opening ceremony was attended by less than 20,000 people:

F5SNrlF.jpg

Major Nelson defeated FGP_ in the opening game of Base (Tutankhamun) and Nikos1972 beat Luckypapa to kick off Core (Cleopatra).

A last-minute entry from constrictor took the final place in Core (Alexandria), which will no doubt provoke a flurry of new tickets in the Pyramid Lottery. We now have 60 hungry warriors ready to scale the Pyramid.

For those spectators wanting to grab a snack while they watch the action unfold, the local vendors recommend a Toblerone.

• Major Nelson likes this

#8 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 827 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Written from THE PYRAMID

A friend , which will be my opponent on the battlefield , told me to predict the winners and runners-up of each division. I quickly finished up writing the first eight names, picking the players I think will finish high . Then I came to writing who I believe the winner of my division will be...

I quickly wrote up the name of me and my friend, who goes by the name of Nelson. But then I thought let's be real : I'll write the players with the best max rnk in the clean ranking! That way I can be unbiased !

Unfortunately, as I tried to access the internet , it appeared as it was infected by a strange virus, since the whole max rnk list was in Hieroglyphs  :)  :)  :) (That explains why other people who made predictions didn't use it :)  :) )

Unfortunately I didnt have time to brush up on the language , but at least they told me there is a man on a village who can translate for me

The village was an hour's walk by foot into the desert. However, there was a monetary prize if i predicted right, so I decided it was worth the effort.

Imagine my look on my face when the man handed me the papyrus with the translated list, and on top of it stand me and my friend !!!!!

Good luck to all participants !

Roeczak 

Edited by roeczak, 04 July 2017 - 10:08 PM.

• Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er and Major Nelson like this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#9 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

Yes yes these hieroglyphs are a big mystery. I tried to recognize my name in the list (by identifying the 2 "o" a d the 2 "e" of Napoleon 1er) but was unable to get a match. Apparently these are modern hieroglyphs that have been encrypted. So without the key you cannot get a proper translation. I went to visit the same man in the desert where roeczak has been above as i wanted to really understand these hieroglyphs and he told me a secret. He said that he cannot release the encryption key but there is a huge additional prize for who will find this key. Who will find this key will have the right, after all games will have been played, to exchange his name on the final ranking with anybody in the ranking ... including the winner! ... so there are lots of surprises to come during this pyramid tournament ... have all fun!🌞🌞🌞⛰⛰⛰♒♋♎
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#10 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

We are 5 weeks into the Pyramid....

In Apex, OverLord_98 has stormed to the top of the Pyramid with 7 victories from his 8 games - possibly a couple of victories away from the Title - with playa1, Nortrom and gkaros still to play..... Losermaker can't catch him, but sits in second having smashed out 2 games per week.

leppie leads Cleopatra with 4 wins from 6, with Yangus and josephwhite in good position behind with 3 wins each.

Unladen Swallow is the only player in Alexandria who has played and has yet to lose. Napoleon and KingTubby head proceedings with 3 wins each.

Don_Homer is 4 points clear in Rameses, but pasxalistx, Jakehaar, Moghedien and malcom.jansen all close behind boasting 100% records.

Major Nelson tops Tutankharmun, with panther65 on the prowl behind with 4 wins from 4.

• Don_Homer, Moghedien, Grizzlybear and 1 other like this

#11 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

5 weeks remain in the Pyramid League. Let's have gander at who is in contention...

Apex

playa1 defeated mrbrainiac today to go to 17pts from 9. Both Nortrom & OverLord_98 are right behind with 16 pts from the same number of games - they all have 2 to play. Whilst playa1 has a slender point lead, he still has both Nortrom & OverLord_98 to battle. Many thanks to these three players for writing a finish closer than any script. Hielco can take 4th ahead of Grizzlybaer if he avoids defeat against gkaros, whilst Losermaker sits in 6th position. Only the top 7 are guaranteed to keep their place, so there is plenty to play for for everyone else.

Cleopatra

leppie has been sitting at the top of the table for a while, but texaspete09 has been making a surge with 5 wins from 5. There are still many matches to play in this division, so we would expect a challenge to come a player in the cluster behind - Master Mind, josepwhite and yangus all have more points than games played. Only the winner is guaranteed promotion - the runner-up has to wait and see how the season's results unfold.

Alexandria

Unladen Swallow boasts the best record in the Pyramid with 8 wins from 8. Only Aris1970, John.K1980, constrictor and Great Manos can catch him. Napoleon1er occupies second place with 10 from 8. Still 32 games to be played in this Division, so a lot to be decided.

Rameses

With three players falling by the wayside, there are only 8 games to play for each of the Rameses players. Pretty much everyone still has a mathematical shot at winning, but much will depend on how malcom,jansen fares - the only player to win all his games so far (4 from 4).

Tutankharmun

panther65 is one victory short of clinching top spot and can do so if he avoids defeat against GFighter. If he slips up, roeczak can win at the death if he gets past Major Nelson successfully. In the Base Divisions, the Top 2 are guaranteed promotion, with 3rd place being a maybe. danis_p_gr currently holds 3rd, but can be overtaken by Major Nelson if he wins his last 2 games. It is nailbiting stuff, let's be honest.

Latest Tables can be viewed here

http://forum.strateg...ants-standings/

• Don_Homer likes this

#12 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 827 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

As Major Nelson is in the UK and I don't know if he has realised this, at around page 11 he has reported a win against danis_p_gr.

He did indeed win this game, but you still have it as incomplete.

Roeczak

• Lonello and Major Nelson like this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#13 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

As Major Nelson is in the UK and I don't know if he has realised this, at around page 11 he has reported a win against danis_p_gr.

He did indeed win this game, but you still have it as incomplete.

Roeczak

Excellent journalism. You should come and work for the Pharoah...

• Lonello, Wogomite and Major Nelson like this

#14 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 951 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

I was about to mention to remind you that I beat danis_p_gr in our game but roeczak got me first ;) 

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#15 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

I was about to mention to remind you that I beat danis_p_gr in our game but roeczak got me first ;)

Now fixed

#16 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

Pyramid Update

With only 9 days to go...

Apex

OverLord_98 has the Apex title within his grasp after defeating playa1. With victory against Nortrom secured earlier in the tournament - a draw against gkaros next week is enough to clinch the Pyramid Trophy. Should he slip up, playa1 and Nortrom - who play each other - are waiting in the wings to pounce.

At the bottom, Yellowhat is confirmed relegated, whilst 5 others are not safe yet - The clash between gpet0 and KARAISKAKIS is a must-win game for both, whilst Enigma, gkaros and mrbrainiac need to get to 7 points (for now) to guarantee avoiding automatic relegation.

Cleopatra

Nikos1972 is two points behind texaspete09 with a game in hand. Should Nikos1972 beat steelers the Championship will be his - unless Zoografos wins his last two against Master Mind and DR_ELL_SuPREME - in which case we will have a delicious 3 way tie at the top...

At the bottom, despy's early withdrawal means there is one automatic relegation spot left for players to avoid - DR_ELL_SUPREME, Luckypapa and don mitsos are in contention for the drop.

Alexandria

Unladen Swallow is confirmed as the winner of Alexandria. Napoleon 1er looks good for second place, but can still be caught or tied by a handful of players including John.K1980, KingTubby, wogomite, constrictor and gmits

After Aris1970's challenge faded, his subsequent withdrawal means there is one automatic relegation spot left to avoid. The Prof currently fills the void and will need to win at least two of his last 3 to have a chance. Still, aside from the Top 4 no-one is mathematically safe yet.

Rameses

malcom.jansen needs one win from his last two to guarantee the Championship. If Spaher gets the better of malcom then Don_Homer can still clinch the Championship. Moghedien will take second if Don-Homer loses.

Tutankharmun

panther65 is confirmed as the Championship winner with a game to play. roeczak grabs the second automatic promotion spot, with Major Nelson taking 3rd and a potential play-off after finishing ahead of danis_p_gr on head to head record.

• Don_Homer, Moghedien, ☆OVERLORD☆ and 1 other like this

#17 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

With one week to go here are the range of possible outcomes for each player:

Apex: Potential relegation 8th to 10th, Automatic relegation 11th-12th

OverLord_98 - 1st or 2nd
Nortrom - 1st to 3rd
playa 1 - 1st to 3rd
Hielco - 4th
Grizzlybaer - 5th
Losermaker - 6th or 7th
gkaros - 6th to 8th
mrbrainiac - 8th or 9th
Enigma - 7th to 11th
KARAISKAKIS - 9th to 11th
Yellowhat - 11th or 12th
gpet0 - 9th to 12th

Cleopatra: Potentially promoted: 2nd, Automatic Promotion: 1st, Potential relegation 8th to 10th, Automatic relegation 11th-12th

texaspete09 - 1st or 2nd
Nikos1972 - 1st to 5th
leppie - 2nd to 4th
zoografos - 1st to 6th
steelers - 3rd to 7th
Yangus - 6th to 7th
josephwhite - 7th to 8th
Master Mind - 4th to 9th
Luckypapa - 9th to 11th
DR_ELL_SuPREME - 4th to 11th
don mitsos - 9th to 11th

Alexandria: Potentially promoted: 2nd, Automatic Promotion: 1st, Potential relegation 8th to 10th, Automatic relegation 11th-12th

Unladen Swallow - 1st
Napoleon 1er - 2nd
John.K1980 - 3rd to 6th
KingTubby - 3rd to 5th
constrictor - 3rd to 8th
TheOptician - 5th to 9th
Wogomite - 4th to 9th
gmits - 6th to 9th
LAZZLO - 6th to 9th
Great Manos - 10th
The Prof - 11th

Rameses: Potentially promoted: 3nd, Automatic Promotion: 1st and 2nd

malcom.jansen - 1st or 2nd
Moghedien - 2nd or 3rd
Don_Homer: 1st to 3rd
pasxalistz - 4th
slowmutant8 - 5th to 8th
Spaher - 5th to 8th
MasterYoda - 5th to 8th
Jakehaar - 6th to 8th
Kambia - 9th

Tutankharmun: Potentially promoted: 3nd, Automatic Promotion: 1st and 2nd

panther65 - 1st
roeczak - 2nd
Major Nelson - 3rd
danis_p_gr - 4th
IOLAUS1926 - 5th or 6th
GFighter - 5th or 6th
Henry domerkant - 7th
FGP_ - 8th
queenbee1 - 9th
General Rascal - 10th

-----------------

The writers @ ThePharoah wish all the contenders the best of luck in the Final Round

#18 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Congratulations to OverLord_98 for winning Apex. 10 wins from 11 matches earns him the Pyramid Trophy, which is being engraved as we speak.
  • dutchkillers, Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er and 5 others like this

#19 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Very well done, Overlord!
  • ☆OVERLORD☆ and vspy13 like this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#20 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Congratulations to Nikos1972 for securing the Cleopatra Title and automatic promotion to Apex after victory over steelers. Texaspete09 finishes just behind in 2nd on head-to-head record to secure a potential promotion.

In Rameses, malcom.jansen is now confirmed as the winner after his draw with Don_Homer. This result also sees Moghedien hold on to second place and take automatic promotion by virtue of head-to-head record v Don_Homer, who takes a potential promotion place.

• Moghedien likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users