Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=n9JFwSaswVI

• Fks and TemplateRex like this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#82 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

I got "fullattack" 2 times today in rank back to back. It seems you got him after me as he was in 800s before I dealt with him! ;)

• Major Nelson likes this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#83 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:21 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=n9JFwSaswVI

For your viewers’ convenience: could you please not use black pieces? The tray is hardly readable this way.
  • Morx, KissMyCookie and Unladen Swallow like this

#84 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:23 PM

yes please, it's really annoying reading the black pieces.

• KissMyCookie likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#85 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

Thank you Major Nelson for spanking "fullattack"–this kind of a player, for me, is incredibly annoying. You have such a natural style of play that it is a pleasure to watch...an added bonus is when you are playing against a quality player who is not burdened with arrogance...this guy, for me, is annoying.

It was wonderful watching you topple this dude. Keep it up! Oh...and please give Jeannie my regards.  ;)

KMC

#86 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

yes please, it's really annoying reading the black pieces.

I have trouble not playing with black pieces lol :)

#87 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

Thank you Major Nelson for spanking "fullattack"–this kind of a player, for me, is incredibly annoying. You have such a natural style of play that it is a pleasure to watch...an added bonus is when you are playing against a quality player who is not burdened with arrogance...this guy, for me, is annoying.

It was wonderful watching you topple this dude. Keep it up! Oh...and please give Jeannie my regards.  ;)

KMC

What is wrong with fullattack style of play?

#88 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:33 PM

Black pieces are awesome. :)
But you are right that it's difficult to discern the graveyard, so I'll switch them back to orange.
  • rgillis783 likes this

#89 ☆OVERLORD☆

☆OVERLORD☆

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:45 AM

Nice game with a perfect beggining Nick! In the endgame you could have played better and won easier  :)

• Morx likes this

STRATEGO CAPTAINS CLUB ~ the strongest team of Greece

#90 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

Nice game with a perfect beggining Nick! In the endgame you could have played better and won easier :)

Thnx John. You are right, in the endgame I made a few mistakes because of overconfidence, fortunately it didn't affect the game result. :)
  • ☆OVERLORD☆ likes this

#91 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

What is wrong with fullattack style of play?

There's nothing wrong with it, but for me, I get a sense of a kind of smugness from the guy in this specific match...the truth is that I cannot explain my reaction...it is just a feeling, and there is no "right" or "wrong" to it. I suppose if you played him and posted the match, my reaction would be entirely different.  :D

Speaking of which...I would like to watch a good butt-kicking...have you got some videos you can post, Fks? ;)  :D

Thank you in advance!

• rgillis783 likes this

#92 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

There's nothing wrong with it, but for me, I get a sense of a kind of smugness from the guy in this specific match...the truth is that I cannot explain my reaction...it is just a feeling, and there is no "right" or "wrong" to it. I suppose if you played him and posted the match, my reaction would be entirely different. :D

Speaking of which...I would like to watch a good butt-kicking...have you got some videos you can post, Fks? ;) :D

Thank you in advance!

I actually just deleted 300 videos of my games. I will have to play some to post :)

#93 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

Match against Henry for PRO Perfect and King of the NASF:

https://www.youtube....h?v=XnNLujWqSQI

• Fks and TemplateRex like this

#94 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

https://www.youtube....vinjBvFhY&t=27s

• TemplateRex likes this

#95 - Sniper -

- Sniper -

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the video.

Interesting setup.

Wondering about the central front bombs. In my opinion they limit mobility. 

1. Case. Enemy top unit positioned in front of it. Basically splits your complete unit set into two half sets that cannot support each other. How would you handle this situation? You will require unit advantage to counter i.e. trade it off. What if you do not have that luxury?

2. Limiting your own mobility -> Forces to play offensive. Correct?

Will watch the rest later.

Edited by - Sniper -, 01 July 2018 - 11:42 PM.

#96 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the video.

Interesting setup.

Wondering about the central front bombs. In my opinion they limit mobility. 

1. Case. Enemy top unit positioned in front of it. Basically splits your complete unit set into two half sets that cannot support each other. How would you handle this situation? You will require unit advantage to counter i.e. trade it off. What if you do not have that luxury?

2. Limiting your own mobility -> Forces to play offensive. Correct?

Will watch the rest later.

You are right, that's why I usually don't put bombs in the front rows, they limit my mobility. But sometimes, especially when you become too predictable, you have to try new things. ;)
That's exactly what I wanted to do actually, "split" my army in two. I had my marshal and general at the side corridors and was willing to attack from the sides. This way I left my center vulnerable, but with the bombs in the center I didn't have to worry much about this part of the board.
  • - Sniper - likes this

#97 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 977 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

This is a game between Henry domerkant and me for the online Greek Championship:

https://www.youtube....h?v=E06pNcfRUY4

It was a very defensive game from my side. Last time I played Henry was in a live tournament two weeks ago, where he lottoed my whole right side with his general without any scouting - fortunately that game ended as a draw. So in this game I played defensively with unpredictable coverings in hope that Henry would fall for it.

It has become apparent to me that my set up fundamentals and tactics have spread too far in the stratego community. I did expect a leak when I created my channel, but I hadn't realised the extent to which other players have familiarised with my gamestyle until recently, when - Sniper - pointed it out very explicitly - and I thank him for that. So I'm done with my channel, if not permanently at least for a long time. I don't regret sharing all these videos but at one point one realises that they can't achieve top level if their tactics are so transparent. This match against Henry was my final one uploaded and with 37 videos I feel that I've done my fair part in promoting this game.

It's been quite a ride.

• Fks likes this

#98 rgillis783

rgillis783

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Thank You Major Nelson, I think many have picked up a thing or two from ya videos. It is a double edged sword and know one should fault you for shutting it down. You and many others have promoted the the game and site well. Enjoy the coming down time and GL in tournaments.  :)

#99 - Sniper -

- Sniper -

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

It has become apparent to me that my set up fundamentals and tactics have spread too far in the stratego community. I did expect a leak when I created my channel, but I hadn't realised the extent to which other players have familiarised with my gamestyle until recently, when - Sniper - pointed it out very explicitly - and I thank him for that. So I'm done with my channel, if not permanently at least for a long time. I don't regret sharing all these videos but at one point one realises that they can't achieve top level if their tactics are so transparent. This match against Henry was my final one uploaded and with 37 videos I feel that I've done my fair part in promoting this game.

Admired your channel.

I feel responsible and guilty to some extent -> apologies to those who will miss these videos.

Will make up for it by continuing to post a video once in a while.

Yesterday had a great game with texaspete resulting in educational video. Yet it came to my attention that some players do not want their games published. We have to respect that + my policy to only publish games with stakes -> may take time until next suitable video.

Good luck progressing Major Nelson. Thanks.

Edited by - Sniper -, 02 July 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#100 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

It has become apparent to me that my set up fundamentals and tactics have spread too far in the stratego community. I did expect a leak when I created my channel, but I hadn't realised the extent to which other players have familiarised with my gamestyle until recently, when - Sniper - pointed it out very explicitly - and I thank him for that. So I'm done with my channel, if not permanently at least for a long time. I don't regret sharing all these videos but at one point one realises that they can't achieve top level if their tactics are so transparent. 

You could also selectively post videos with certain themes in order to deceive opponents for future high-stakes games into inaccurate beliefs about your style.

But anyway, thanks a lot for all the instructional videos!

• Wogomite and Major Nelson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users