• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

Lol, Nelson's luck... :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube....h?v=uZ7mUINRlPU

I suppose you were targeting a possible spy there, very nice :) Did you already discover what was on J8, a bomb perhaps?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#42 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

I suppose you were targeting a possible spy there, very nice :) Did you already discover what was on J8, a bomb perhaps?

Besides the hilarious part of actually finding his flag there, I had reason to suspect that he had a valuable piece at H8 (Marshall or Spy) and I suspected he had a bomb at I8. Also, he had a bomb at A8 so it crossed my mind that perhaps he put a bomb at I8 as well for symmetry.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#43 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

New video, match against hellinon for the 1st Round of the online Greek championship:

https://www.youtube....h?v=A94-yZA4r8M

#44 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

New video: match against the live World Champion, Garulfo, for a tournament in a distant, mythical land. :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=2JURZv4cIso

• tobermoryx, Wogomite, rgillis783 and 2 others like this

#45 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

At 9:26, he placed a known major onto E4 in front of your unknown colonel. Did you forget it was a major, or did you not want to reveal your 2nd colonel?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#46 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

I must have forgotten it was a major.

#47 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

Very hard to remember pieces on Gravon.
  • texaspete09 likes this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#48 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:17 AM

My first video with english commentary:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9RL5hLsYgVA

Tell me if you like it and would like more such videos. :)

• tobermoryx, steelers and Fks like this

#49 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:17 AM

My first video with english commentary:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9RL5hLsYgVA

Tell me if you like it and would like more such videos. :)

I am excited to watch it!

#50 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:18 AM

I am excited to watch it!

Wow, that was fast!

• Fks likes this

#51 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:19 AM

Wow, that was fast!

Yeah I just checked the forums the second u posted it lol. I just got qued in rank :/ So it will have to wait :(

Edit- Obviously I lost to low elo again. No point even try for elo anymore it is just a waste of time.

#52 Wogomite

Wogomite

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Obviously I lost to low elo again. No point even try for elo anymore it is just a waste of time.

With your skill level, this comment is very interesting to say the least.

Also, I watched your games MN, nice recovery and staying patient to take back the lead once you get lottoed. The mark of a strong player.
  • Major Nelson likes this

#53 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

With your skill level, this comment is very interesting to say the least.
Also, I watched your games MN, nice recovery and staying patient to take back the lead once you get lottoed. The mark of a strong player.

Yes and I had comments of you calling me a "pathetic idiot" last night

You have a very narrow minded view on how to play Stratego and anyone who doesn't conform to that is automatically 'pathetic'.... ok...

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 25 April 2018 - 04:24 PM.

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#54 Wogomite

Wogomite

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

Wow man, I said a move you made was pathetic. I never used the word 'idiot'. I walk all over you and you resort to lotto, not once but ten times all the way to the end game which I ended up winning in and probably the only reason you are sour. I never swore at you and never made it personal about who you are as a person. I simply showed frustration with you terrible skill (great lotto) you were using. Im sorry if you cant see the difference but you are demomstrating hypocrisy by pouting over my critique of your lack of skill. You have litteraly swore, called names, even sworn publicly and you point out I called your moves pathetic lol wow! What a child. To be honest, I have never used a single swear word on this site EVER which you do regularly, and you are stuck on the word pathetic. Josh, it sounds like you are just as sensitive as I am. People like us need to learn to chill out. Im working on it, are you? Your previous post tells me no 😟

#55 Electrichammer

Electrichammer

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

How you can play the gravon version of Stratego :rolleyes:

Edited by Electrichammer, 25 April 2018 - 04:04 PM.

• KissMyCookie likes this

#56 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

The irony is, Ryan, that you complain about me taking risks but you later won by taking a risk and guessing my miners. In fact I congratulated you and said GG, I am not sour about it nor am I offended about what you write.

It's just disappointing to me you have such a narrow mind about what constitutes "good style". Every style is valid, including aggression and shuffling. I wouldn't be where I am today if my style was so "terrible" as you mentioned. :wacko: The risks I took with general and colonel were justified, and I eventually got back the material I lost into a theoretically drawn endgame (unless my opponent correctly guesses my pieces). 

• tobermoryx likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#57 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

How you can play the gravon version of Stratego :rolleyes:

You could only have one account there.
  • Henry domerkant and Electrichammer like this

#58 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

You could only have one account there.

I think what Electrichammer was saying, if I understood his smiling face is, "How on Earth can you possibly want to play on that other site?!?!"

• Electrichammer likes this

#59 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Guys, it seems we are diverging from the subject of this topic... please, only make comments that concern my videos.

• Morx likes this

#60 Wogomite

Wogomite

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

Josh, I agree with most of what you said. I did not intend to start a war with you, in fact, I have actually enjoyed our games that we have played together in the past.  You are one of few players that always make a tight game regardless of what I think of your style, you are no chump at Stratego, I do admit that. Just a few thoughts on what you said...

It's just disappointing to me you have such a narrow mind about what constitutes "good style". Every style is valid, including aggression and shuffling. 

I actually agree with this. The only thing I constitute as good style is someone who uses the fundamentals to win games and not hoping you don't hit a bomb. One can shuffle, marsh blitz or even use calculated risk as you claim is not lotto but I just don't see top players using these types of styles. There is reason top players stick to the fundamentals and not a 'risky' type of style, it's not consistent. You may be able to use it to win 20 games and get to 1150 but sure enough you will run into a run of 5/10 losses using the same style and drop to 850. You don't see top players with this inconsistent leap and drop in their elo. If I may use our games as an example, in the past two years, I am 6-3 against you (I've kept track) and 2 of your wins against me were by aggressive lotto (hitting unmoved pieces). To me, you claim to be good but in our 9 games, you were only able to defeat me one time using pure un risky logic and fundamental moves. You call it calculated RISK for a reason.  To me that does not show successful consistency with a style you claim is trust worthy. I can't speak for everyone but that does not sound like a style I would trust. 

I wouldn't be where I am today if my style was so "terrible" as you mentioned. :wacko:

If I may use something Nortrom told me once. He said something along the lines of "it amazes me how a lot of players over 900 points don't know how to play this game. You would think players that get that high of an elo and beat decent players would make good moves but sadly, a lot of players that are considered great players make moves as though they don't know this game very well." 

It baffles a lot of us, don't worry  :rolleyes: ....rather it may just show how few people actually know how to play this game well. Not sure which. 

The risks I took with general and colonel were justified, and I eventually got back the material I lost into a theoretically drawn endgame (unless my opponent correctly guesses my pieces). 

Not sure how hitting a bomb with your general was justified, if that was justified, I sure was thankful for your justification  :P ....

and just to clear things up, you did not get back all of the material you lost, if you take a look at the highest five pieces on the board, I had four of them  :wacko: ...

and last but not least, me guessing your pieces was not the same as the way you did it. I did not hit anything that did not move, everything I squeezed off was what I call truly justified. The only thing you could consider a guess is after I safely took your fourth miner, I was going after the last which could have been a sgt. I analyzed the starting placement of your two pieces and how you were using them before I made my decision. If I can give you credit as an intelligent person, you were trying to draw me one way which would have been the right move if you wanted to stop my momentum from taking your last miner. That being said, it was the most intelligent thing for you to do considering the piece I was going after was the miner. You are some what tricky when given the chance, I did consider that also. After I went with my analysis, it was indeed the miner.... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users