#1 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 3 weeks ago

This topic is for any questions players have regarding the 2017 World Team Tournament

#2 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 3 weeks ago

Is there going to be a subforum for this special tourney?

Lo

#3 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 3 weeks ago

My understanding is that the MT is working on asking admin to create such a sub forum.  If people have suggestions on where to place it and what it should be called then feel free to comment.  I would suggest  "World Team Tournament" and place it in the "Live and Other Tournaments" section along with Junior Tournaments, Dutch Tournaments, Greek Tournaments, and NASF.     

#4 Losermaker

Losermaker

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

So just want to make sure I understand how this works.

Each player plays 1 game against 1 opponent per team, so if there are 5 teams a total of 5 matches (excluding ties and championship)?

What duration is each team match? 1 week? and do you have a rough estimate of total duration?

Thanks,

Losermaker

Edited by Losermaker, 2 weeks ago.

#5 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Each team will play each other team once.  Each match-up lasts one week.  If there are 4 teams (most likely scenario at this point), this will take 3 weeks.  In each team match, each player on a team will play against one opponent from the other team.  So you will play one game per week.  After the round-robin is completed, the top two teams play a two-week final.  So the tournament will last 5 weeks if there are 4 teams.  If their is a 5th team it will last 7 weeks total because of necessary byes.

• Losermaker likes this

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 2 weeks ago

Why the breakdown of team descriptions of

1 all belong to same country or federation.
2 three from one country, two from another.
3 five from five different countries. (Only one allowed)

Why all the arbitrariness? Why not include 4 and 1? And if it is allowed at all, why is only one team of the third kind allowed? Are you trying to have an all-one-country-only Team Tournament or a Team Tournament? If the former, then why allow anything other than the first type team above? If the latter, then why concern yourselves with countries at all?

Wogomite said on the previous page that playoffs might be considered for two teams from the same country, but why? Why not allow both to compete? You don't have every team as perfectly representing a single country, so why would a playoff be a required? To see who is best to represent their country against (potentially) a team from five different countries that had no such play-in to survive?

I think the purpose for the tournament is a bit vague unless you make it 100% all teams from the same country or federation (your number 1 type team).

My two cents.
  • Don_Homer, Lonello, tobermoryx and 2 others like this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#7 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 869 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

Totally agree with you Gary. There are still only  3 teams (American, Greek and Dutch), and the deadline is almost there. Why not allow 5 enthousiastic Juniors participate in a team? I think this is a very good option (also for the organisers). 

Just another two cents...

• Don_Homer and Lonello like this
First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

#8 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Master Mind, we are sympathetic to your request, and in the committee we will continue to discuss it.  I would suggest you try to have a team ready to go in case we decide to make an exception for a juniors team.   

Gary, although the spirit of this tournament is country vs. country (last year, there were four teams: Dutch, Greek, NASF, and World), an all one-country tournament would likely limit us to 3 teams which is not desirable.  This year, we wanted to allow more opportunities for participation, so we came up with the idea of a two-country team.  We decided on it being 3 and 2 and not 4 and 1 so that it would be more like a team of two countries, and not one country with a foreign ringer (someone who would be taken out of the pool of players for the World team).  We hoped several countries such as Belgium, Germany, and England could muster at least two or three players to help make teams but it looks like that might not happen.   

• Don_Homer likes this

#9 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 2 weeks ago

Thanks, The Prof. In my simple thinking it seems like the spirit of the tournament should be to embrace the political divisions of the world and not to expand to other team definitions. So I'm glad you at least begin with this position.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#10 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Totally agree with you Gary. There are still only  3 teams (American, Greek and Dutch), and the deadline is almost there. Why not allow 5 enthousiastic Juniors participate in a team? I think this is a very good option (also for the organisers). 

Just another two cents...

Master Mind, you may post your team of 5 enthusiastic Juniors in the registration thread.  The organizing committee is now in favor of having a Juniors team, provided that no 4th team appears that meets our original criteria (which is looking unlikely as there are just hours to go before the close of registration).

#11 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Can you extend the registration date? We are close to making a UK/Belgium team but need 1 more player. 

#12 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Can you extend the registration date? We are close to making a UK/Belgium team but need 1 more player. 

I'll check with the committee on that.

#13 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 869 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'll check with the committee on that.

So if there will be a UK/Belgium team, Junior Team will not be able to participate?

First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

#14 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

So if there will be a UK/Belgium team, Junior Team will not be able to participate?

Possibly.  We'll discuss.  

#15 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

We have agreed to extend the date, but only by one day.  The new deadline is Sunday, June 11 at 11:59 GMT.

Team captains will be submitting by PM to Napoleon1er a list of their players with each player labeled either A, B, C, D, or E.  He will keep these secret until all team managers have given their information, and after this will reveal the results (by Monday evening at the latest).  These lists will dictate who plays who in each match-up during the round-robin phase.  Player A on one team will be matched with Player A on the other team, Player B will go against Player B, and so on.  The games can then start by Tuesday, with Sunday June 18 being the deadline for the first week of games.

#16 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree with Gary it should be a country tournament first. Just like the WCO is the Online version of the WC, this tournament should be the Online version of the WCT.

But I see country vs. country would be hard to meet here. We would only have the Greek fighting the Dutch. Which is why the best option next is to have community's bodies play. Then both Juniors and NASF qualify too (NASF, as Gary pointed out, being a cooperation of multiple countries).

Rules today offer another possibility too. I understand it's likely a Great Belgium team can be formed. I think that's great. With the new Macedonian team it makes an even 6 teams. Since this is a question thread, my question would be how would the organization actually check nationalities?

For instance this last team, how would the organization check if the members live in the Republic or in the Greek part of Macedonia? And I understand you don't need to? If you're having a green card for instance you can play for that country, if your mother is Swiss you can play for the Swiss team, etc., so it's always a bit diffuse isn't it?

PS
The Dutch teamcaptain is playa1 by the way. The list of teammembers is the same I mentioned before.

• spartakus66 likes this
Lo

#17 spartakus66

spartakus66

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 2 weeks ago

6 teams ?

Dutch team
 Junior team
 Greek team
 English team
 MACEDONIA team
 Belgium team  ?

I would like to inform you that none of us knows good English

#18 spartakus66

spartakus66

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 2 weeks ago

Lonello ,

Macedonia is one !

#19 spartakus66

spartakus66

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree with you it should be a country tournament first but I dont see it .
junior team etc.

So we can participate :)

#20 dalee

dalee

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 2 weeks ago

For instance this last team, how would the organization check if the members live in the Republic or in the Greek part of Macedonia? And I understand you don't need to? If you're having a green card for instance you can play for that country, if your mother is Swiss you can play for the Swiss team, etc., so it's always a bit diffuse isn't it?

Macedonia is part of Greece, with Greek history from ancient years. FYROM is a country that got the M(Macedonia) only for geopolitical reasons.

That team with the name Macedonia, is Greek, with players from Macedonia's region. I don't support the use of the name for that team, because Macedonia is not separate from Greece and also many famous Greek players are from there(because it is a big region) and they never knew about that team.
  • KARAISKAKIS, IOLAUS1926 and Major Nelson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users