snicklefritz

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:21 AM

Ok...so having about a dozen problems trying to learn this site. So, i finally am able to use my saved setups. I  continued with the same clicking process, and finally it worked.  I lost a few games in the process trying to setup manually. Clicking pieces onto the board takes up to 4 clicks sometimes before it works. I also am haiving trouble with "misclicks" during games. Is there a trick to moving? Should i drag or double click? 

Chatting. How do you find specific players with whom to chat in so many forums? how do you find a player that just left a game? THere is a list of upstanding players who like to flee games leaving you to wait out the clock: RobHuffknobber, IamSkillless, and ChevyBelcher to name a few (5 minute default is way too long to wait). 

The "loss pieces" panel is confusing. Why do you have HIS lost pieces under MY player name? That cost me another 3 games. It could be so much more readable if the dead pieces just fell into one window. Too much to decipher with the "dead pieces/total pieces" number while you're trying to concentrate on the game. 

do you really get a loss if you can't setup in time? what if you don't want to play someone who joined up? still get a loss? This site needs to be newbie friendly. After submitting setup the page goes completely red, but sometimes the board never appears. Another loss on the record?

The forum. Again, i kept following the same path numerous times and was not able to "login" to post until now. And why must i continue logging in when i leave the forum?

Lots of other stuff i still have to figure out. Could use some instructions on navigating. anyway...thats about it. There is a very nice turn out here. I give you that. (-: 

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Chatting. How do you find specific players with whom to chat in so many forums? how do you find a player that just left a game? .... (5 minute default is way too long to wait). 

You can send anyone who's a member of the Forum a pm. They don't have to be a friend. Just click in the upper right and follow the menu for Personal Messenger. As far as contacting someone on the game side, that's a matter of sending them a friend request and having them accept you first. You can open up a green button conversation with anyone who is a game side friend but best to check and send only when they're online. ;) Your friends can be accessed by clicking on the social hub button at the lower right of your screen. You'll note‚Äč you can also see "Recently Met" players there if you want to send them a friend request. The five minute buffer abuse is a problem if players leave you hanging that way. Nothing we can do.

The "loss pieces" panel is confusing. Why do you have HIS lost pieces under MY player name? That cost me another 3 games. It could be so much more readable if the dead pieces just fell into one window. Too much to decipher with the "dead pieces/total pieces" number while you're trying to concentrate on the game. 

I'll admit that what you say about your opponent's 'loss pieces' (more commonly called "graveyards") being under your name is anti-intuitive. I guess everyone's used to it. (One note here is that if you play on the new app like I do, you will see they've reversed the graveyards so that yours is on the left.) The 'dead pieces/total pieces' I don't think is confusing, though I will say that I once commented that I think the graveyards should move from color to black and white, instead of the way they do because I generally think of death as black and white, and currently that means full life. But again, it's easy enough to get used to.

do you really get a loss if you can't setup in time? what if you don't want to play someone who joined up? still get a loss? This site needs to be newbie friendly. After submitting setup the page goes completely red, but sometimes the board never appears. Another loss on the record?

Someone more familiar with the desktop version might have a better answer but I think if your setup time expires you get a computer-determined setup. Can anyone verify? I know that once I got a flag behind the lake with no bombs around it for this reason and memorably won that game. Unfortunately, with the red screen it does mean glitch usually, only I think you should give it a couple of minutes before closing the game. You never know.

The forum. Again, i kept following the same path numerous times and was not able to "login" to post until now. And why must i continue logging in when i leave the forum?

Not sure here. Occasionally, I'll get logged out for no apparent reason but not often. I usually never have to log back into the forum unless I switch devices. Is that what's happening?

Lots of other stuff i still have to figure out. Could use some instructions on navigating.....

Ask any specific questions you have here in the forum. Someone will respond.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,038 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

And you came and you have without takiiiiiinngg... Oh quigmire! 

Who gets the reference? ;)

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users