• 750 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

nice topic.

New players start at 600 Kleier points
juniors start at 300 Kleier points.

After that their points go up or down depending on their results.

Take for exemple John Vandoros
We can discuss if he is the best player in the world, but since his opponents 'in general' in Greece have lower Kleier points
than in Holland, he's gaining more slowly on the list if he beats all Greek players at a Greek tournament.

If Pim Niemeijer beats all dutch players in an tournament, he will 'normally' win more points than John, since the opponents of Pim are rated stronger.

I said 'normally' cause there are als 2 other parameters to consider for winning or losing Kleier points

1) when you play many tournaments, at a certain point, you won't gain many points (even with a big victory defeating top players), because you're other (previous) tournaments before were taken into account.
That said, that means that a new live player who plays immediately 1 good tournament will have instantly a good Kleier rating

2) Kleier calculates also this way: the latest tournament from a player counts for 100%, the previous tournament for 95%, the other one before for 90% and so on (I just gave fake %, but you understand my point).

I think more experienced players can give more info about how Kleier works, but this gives you allready an idea.

Berre

Fully agree. I wish i could play all the Dutch tournaments, if so; Pim and Vince would have more troubles from me and my rating. :)

I wish i could see-have my true rating... :)

#102 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

Hello Berre, thanks for your comment.
This is a point I was trying to make in the video but maybe I didn't iollustrate it clearly.

First of all , as far as I know those 600 and 300 are 'fake' ratings , i.e. not used in any calculations. That's why I said the initial rating of Greek players was after WC '14.

After that , Greek players played with each other and with new players , thus stabilizing their (low compared to NL) rating , because they had more games , and also creating more players with low rating.
This however is gradually corrected by the rating itself, and with each international tournament, as you can see by the progress of Greek players in the video I made. Since e.g. after Naarden all Greeks'ratings increased by average 15-20 points, John (or sb else) can gain more points in Greek tournaments now. The more international tournaments are played , the more players' ratinga are a better estimation of a player's true strength.

Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)
Greek Champion 2019 

#103 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

I'll probably start a Stratego stream in an hour or so. 

• R u Mocking Me ? likes this

Greek Champion 2019 

#104 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

Start in 19.15 GMT - we'll try to get out of Gold :)

• TemplateRex likes this

Greek Champion 2019 

#105 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:32 PM

Thanks everyone for watching ! Will try to increase the quality for next one. 

• Henry domerkant and TemplateRex like this

Greek Champion 2019 

#106 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:11 AM

Hey everyone! New video up ! Ch.L group decider vs josephwhite (thanks a lot for letting me share) 

Also been really active in ranks lately. I made a new best (966). When i reach 1000 -> celebratory stream  :D 

Have fun all. 

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• Lord Invader and TemplateRex like this

Greek Champion 2019 

#107 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hey everyone! New video up ! Ch.L group decider vs josephwhite (thanks a lot for letting me share) 
Also been really active in ranks lately. I made a new best (966). When i reach 1000 -> celebratory stream  :D 
Have fun all. https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Nice game! Just one observation: you seem a bit too liberal with scouts shooting into his 3rd row, without direct threats to the pieces discovered. On one occasion you found a major that he shuffled and you forgot it, and that cost you a Luit later on IIRC. Other than that, nice finish.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#108 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, remembering while talking is not my strong suit. 

Greek Champion 2019 

#109 Sorrow

Sorrow

Sergeant

• NASF Committee
  • 400 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=OuQE6yPoK5Y Game between Henry Domerkant and Roeczak on Henrys channel.

Their is greek commentary but it's difficult to hear due to in game sounds.

• Yellowhat and roeczak like this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

Dalee is a God

#110 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

https://youtu.be/C3tQzVDdBAk

My version of this game with Greek commentary 

Η δικιά μου πλευρά του παιχνιδιού με Ελληνική περιγραφή.

• TemplateRex likes this

Greek Champion 2019 

#111 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:28 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=jtYWp1dqbDc 

WCO game vs TemplateRex with commentary , back after long time making videos !

• Lord Invader, TemplateRex and Bobby Dylan like this

Greek Champion 2019 

#112 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:20 AM

Nice game guys!  One comment I had for Roeczak: I also suspected a high piece at A8 after he quickly covered it.  At 6:56, after you scouted his Sergeant, I would have brought around the Lieutenant from E5 to capture the sarge and then trade Lieutenants, then Scouted from A4 but no big deal, FWIW.

Edited by Lord Invader, 30 November 2019 - 05:22 AM.

#113 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Roeczak for your gracious commentary.

A few notes from my perspective. In live and online ratings the difference is about 350-400 Elo, so I was a 10:90 underdog statistically. I had good hopes for it nevertheless, having beaten 700 and 770 platinum players in the previous two WCO rounds.

Since my last opponent was a Greek player, and since I don't know the various relationships between Greek players (video sharing...), I had left/right mirrored my last setup (and just like in this game, my back two rows weren't exposed anyway).

I had prepared for this game by watching some of your other YouTube videos, and your setup was actually rather different in style than usual, so well done by surprising me with it. I also like your comment how you deliberately placed your bombs in statistically unlikely places. Of course, I knew that you knew my love for stats, so I would not have blindly hit in those spots :)

7:15: scouted your center colo. This was a big surprise, because I had formed a rough image of your style that you like to play with colonels on the outer flanks. So at this point I suspect the marsh behind it in the center.

8:11: I had forgotten that you knew the sarge AND the lieut. The good move was as you mentioned to pull back the sarge. I had a major behind the lake and would have hit the incoming piece. My dilemma was that the lieut was covering my marsh, so I didn't want a cap to hit there.

9:00: I pushed aggresively with my scout as a bluff marsh/gen in the hope to scout and confirm my marsh suspicion behind the left lake. If the marsh had been there, that would have made my general on your right flank very strong. Good move to call the bluff with the colo. I am not sure what I thought as this point, but I think I still suspected power in your center and behind the left lake.

9:12 the second bluff was really too much, and I regretted as soon as I played it. Hopefully it pays off with future opponents who think I bluff too much :)

10:24 My general got revealed. I agree it was overly aggressive to put it there. Based on my image of your setup, I speculated that you had your second colo there with a lieut in front of it. I didn't think you would scout it directly, but I was planning to bring a major to hit on the front row piece, and I wanted the gen to sit there.

12:33 I am in trouble with an exposed major AND colo. I will end up in a 50/50 whether I lose the colo here. I should not have been so greedy to get the cap.

13:15 Why didn't you take the major immediately? I don't think I can do too much damage without hitting unmoved pieces, and a major + lieut down for a cap + gen info would not have made me lotto your majors on a3 or d3 anyway (and you also have a known colo to perhaps force an exchange).

13:25 And here I also could have hit your unknown gen with my major to get info and save my colo. Of course if your gen was a bluff then your scout moves to b5 and I still have another tough situation. So I decided to take the 50/50 on my colo and drew the short straw.

15:07 I decide to barge in and foolishly risk my gen in trying to get back a colo, hoping that your marsh was in the left center. I should have been more patient, but with your gen on the left with a known major, I didn't see how I could attack through the center with my marsh.

15:19 and it's game over at this point. I should have put up a somewhat better defense to make you convert, but with two power pieces down and a known cap that I cannot bring next to a major to save, I mentally resigned here. I should of course have put more pressure with my marsh, and taking the gen was a bit naive as well.

19:26 I indeed rarely put high bombs against strong players, but not 0% of the time! Have to control the temptation to lotto :)

19:51 I had lost track of the marsh for the last 5 mins (game was over already, so I didn't really pay attention) and just try to lotto my last major into your position (good bomb waiting for me).

Thanks again for giving me some valuable lessons!

EDIT1: Roeczak asked for my permission, but my forum signature gives express permission for all my opponents to post all my games. I had hoped my first YouTube appearance to show a somewhat better game from my side, but I got outplayed fair and square!

EDIT2: I just read Dobby125's comment on YouTube that his gen not taking my major at 13:15 to make me believe the gen was the bluff piece instead of 2nd piece (the actual scout). In reality, it was more banal than that: I literally took a 50/50 gamble (coin flip).

Edited by TemplateRex, 30 November 2019 - 12:46 PM.

• roeczak and KnightofPepsi like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#114 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:52 AM

Not my video , but a nice game I found of Vince van Geffen (Spion..) playing against GM Lucas van Foreest (2523 FIDE) that I don't think has been posted anywhere online

https://www.youtube....v=Rsrcy-JStLo 

Vince has a nice channel but I don't understand much Dutch.

There is also a video against Napo 2eme coming , but I haven't yet found the time to upload it. Will have to be done from university because my home's upload speed is terrible.

• texaspete09, Napoleon 2ème and Bobby Dylan like this

Greek Champion 2019 

#115 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 554 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

Not my video , but a nice game I found of Vince van Geffen (Spion..) playing against GM Lucas van Foreest (2523 FIDE) that I don't think has been posted anywhere online

https://www.youtube....v=Rsrcy-JStLo 

Vince has a nice channel but I don't understand much Dutch.

There is also a video against Napo 2eme coming , but I haven't yet found the time to upload it. Will have to be done from university because my home's upload speed is terrible.

That's awesome that Vince knows him, I've heard of his brother Jorden. It would interesting if a bunch of GMs started playing Stratego.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#116 Bobby Dylan

Bobby Dylan

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

Very nice video against that chess Grandmaster, thanks for posting!

The times they are a -changin'- Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users