#61 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Phone Commentary Ranked (PCR) Series continues!!

https://youtu.be/TD0jq1jLudE

Enjoy & Don't forget to Sub to the the channel to get all the vids!
  • Fks likes this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#62 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

Can you shed some light on your game against Hielco? What happened there with your colonel?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#63 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

@TR: I will see it again and tell you. On a first glance it appears he forgot he knew that.
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#64 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

Template Rex , looking back at that , it looks really weird for me to make a bluff like that. He kind of mixed up the pieces . You are right it was in reality a terrible move by me and the only reason it worked was because he wasn't believing a strong player would do that. My lieut was lost reagrdless , but this move confused him and gave me an advantage . Even if he had taken the lieut he would have assumed incorrectly a lot of my pieces , that scout for instance. It wasn't a very fine bluff , but it worked :)

I want to give you another example of this.

WC 2017 , Marmari Greece Round 6

Roeczak vs SEKERTZISS , crucial match as we were both nearing the top 10

In the ending i think , with few minutes remaining on the clock i had a captain+lieut against his major which was the highest piece on the board. Having saved my last scout following coach gpet0's advice i was able to discover his major. A few minutes later and while i haven't lost track on his major he attacks my known captain with another piece . I move back but he continues to attack without any fear . I then have to move up between the real major and this piece , and in the heat of the battle i choose to go right in front of this major

This unknown piece was a lieut , and i think that even against a former world chamoion i would have managed at least a draw with a cap +2 lieut against his major.

This is the beauty of stratego: sometimes the most stupid of moves can turn to your advanatage.

Roeczak

Ps:check out my newest video!! Is there a problem why are there only 22 views?
  • rgillis783 and TemplateRex like this

#65 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,065 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

Don't push them 'zak, there is nothing you can do if they simply prefer my videos. ;)
  • roeczak, rgillis783 and Fks like this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#66 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Template Rex , looking back at that , it looks really weird for me to make a bluff like that. He kind of mixed up the pieces . You are right it was in reality a terrible move by me and the only reason it worked was because he wasn't believing a strong player would do that. My lieut was lost reagrdless , but this move confused him and gave me an advantage . Even if he had taken the lieut he would have assumed incorrectly a lot of my pieces , that scout for instance. It wasn't a very fine bluff , but it worked :)

You should take comfort that Hielco has such a high opinion of your strength that he doubts his memory for a colonel! :) 

I watch almost every video by platinum players, your English commentary ones are very good. One tip that I would like to give: please don't switch to Facebook or other distractions during the game, it makes it much harder to follow. 

The mobile phone games are hard to watch because of the ridiculous piece images that Jumbo made the default. Is there any way to change these like here on this site?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#67 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

Hi TR
Yes there is another set of pieces , i'll try that in the next one , tell me if it is better.
  • TemplateRex likes this

#68 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,110 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hi TR
Yes there is another set of pieces , i'll try that in the next one , tell me if it is better.

I spend the gold coins on the "same" piece style as on the pc and it's terrible for the phone.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#69 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

https://youtu.be/Pl8Lxe0iqyA

Game 3 of the series v. OVERLORD , i gave him a good game but i forgot a moved piece in the end , also should have continued with the marshal probably , since i had nothing to lose.

Template Rex sorry but i forgot to use the other piece style , will try that for next game :)

Enjoy all!
  • ☆OVERLORD☆ and TemplateRex like this

#70 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

https://youtu.be/Pl8Lxe0iqyA

Game 3 of the series v. OVERLORD , i gave him a good game but i forgot a moved piece in the end , also should have continued with the marshal probably , since i had nothing to lose.

Template Rex sorry but i forgot to use the other piece style , will try that for next game :)

Enjoy all!

I ran your and Overlord's video side-by-side, very instructive! 

• ☆OVERLORD☆ likes this

#71 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

Yeah I expected nothing less from an award-winning analyst.
  • Nortrom and TemplateRex like this

#72 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:22 PM

Yeah I expected nothing less from an award-winning analyst.

Seriously, I watch all these videos of platinum players to see how they approach the early to mid game, where to bluff, how to cover your pieces properly.

My last game tonight made me painfully aware of my shortcomings in those areas. I had gen + 2 lieuts vs marsh + 2 caps, after I was out-guessed early on, but I managed to hold 3 corridors with this minority. He then made the mistake of trying to collect a lieut with 2 captains and I managed to sneak one and then a second miner to his corner flag, which even his marsh couldn't defend anymore of course. If people stopped giving away full points in endgames, I would still be a bronze spy ;)

Edited by TemplateRex, 07 April 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#73 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

Hielco takes revenge by outplaying me in the deciding game of the CL Group A, you can watch here 

https://youtu.be/3GEcvPHgBrk

• tobermoryx, Major Nelson, Fks and 1 other like this

#74 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Hielco takes revenge by outplaying me in the deciding game of the CL Group A, you can watch here 

https://youtu.be/3GEcvPHgBrk

You were in a great position for a long time in this game. Until your Marshal was blocked by your own colonels/majors.

• roeczak likes this

#75 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

Back in with a bang! QF victory vs. Major Nelson in the recent Champions League.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rKpD3kDcjAs

Some background: 

We've played many many times. He began stratego later than I did, taking me and Henry as models at first, but I think he is the guy who has progressed a step further out of the three of us. I have a good understanding of how he plays.
In my (perhaps controversial) opinion he is a top 5 player in the world. He is 3-0 against me I think on tournaments this season and I think I had a pretty conservative image vs him so I decided to surprise him with a pretty aggresive set up. He did not expect that at all which resulted in him having a disadvantage from which he never recovered. 

Add in a classic crappy roeczak lotto near the end of the video (well, he never puts bombs in the front but still too much risk)

Enjoy all and don't forget to Like and Sub!

• TemplateRex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users