#1 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

I'll bet this one gets a little attention. What is wrong with people? I go to a restaurant and half the people are staring at their phones. Families don't talk to each other. Children text each other while sitting next to one another in the back seat of a car. Almost no one I know answers their phone. It is an intrusion. I don't even bother leaving voice mails anymore.

If it is longer than a tweet we lose interest. Conversations are constantly interrupted by someone who has to answer a text or at least look at it. They can't even be in the present while out on the golf course or at any social event.

Look around you. They even walk into traffic. I see people on a beautiful day in a park staring at their cell phone. You can see them walking their dogs and on the phone or at least carrying it. Standing in line in the grocery store having a conversation while the clerk is waiting on them and you are subject to listening.

If I went to church I would bet I'd see a dozen people checking their phones during the service. It has infiltrated almost every social part of our lives.

Edited by queenbee1, 14 April 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#2 Nortrom

Nortrom

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to 2017 (ironically writing this from mobile device). Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#3 steelers

steelers

Sergeant

• Tournament Manager
  • 313 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

I agree completely.  I think I'm the only person left in the world that doesn't even own a cell phone, and have no desire to get one.

• Lonello likes this

#4 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

@ Steelers good for you not buying in to cell phones. I have what was termed in the industry as a candy bar phone. This means it is about the size of a small candy bar and does not even flip open. It doesn't surf the web at all. I only have it in case I break down on the side of the road. I can text with it, but it is very difficult so I don't bother.

The problem is really that people think it is okay to be constantly looking at their phones while with family and friends. In public they act like their conversation is not noise pollution, but it is. It is some sort of addiction. Pretty soon your phone starts to feed you only information you "liked" and so you live in a bubble and you think that facts don't matter anymore. The truth is what you read on your cell phone.

#5 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'll bet this one gets a little attention. What is wrong with people? I go to a restaurant and half the people are staring at their phones. Families don't talk to each other. Children text each other while sitting next to one another in the back seat of a car. Almost no one I know answers their phone. It is an intrusion. I don't even bother leaving voice mails anymore.

If it is longer than a tweet we lose interest. Conversations are constantly interrupted by someone who has to answer a text or at least look at it. They can't even be in the present while out on the golf course or at any social event.

Look around you. They even walk into traffic. I see people on a beautiful day in a park staring at their cell phone. You can see them walking their dogs and on the phone or at least carrying it. Standing in line in the grocery store having a conversation while the clerk is waiting on them and you are subject to listening.

If I went to church I would bet I'd see a dozen people checking their phones during the service. It has infiltrated almost every social part of our lives.

I have a phone but I do not use it very often, I don't even carry it around with me sometimes. I only post on the forum, play stratego ect on a laptop, except for something important, ex. cancelling a tourney date or postponing it. 

My mom sometimes just sits on her phone and looks at facebook or emails or texts or whatnot for literally 30 + minutes. I don't know how she does it.

It's actually not as bad as you would think at church, at least not mine, not sure about others. Occasionally you might see 1 or 2 people texting while the pastor is preaching, but, for the most part nobody really does too much of that. 

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

...yeah... lol ... one of my friend told me he does not have facebook but he wanted to apply facebook principles in real life ... just to see how many new friends he would get ... so everyday he goes down in the street and explains to the people he meets what he had eaten, how he feels, what he did the day before, what he is currently doing, what he will do tomorrow, he shows them the picture of his wife, of his children, of his dog that died the week before, of him washing his car etc... 

He does also listens to the various conversations people have in the street and says "I like" ... and it works ... actually he has already gained 4 new friends who follow him ... 2 policemen, 1 psychologist and 1 psychiatrist ... :D

• GaryLShelton and Unladen Swallow like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

To find out if you have OCD just put the phone in a locked drawer for one day. Let me know how that turned out. Well Fairway that is a sampling of one church and I would hope that people would have respect in places of worship. 

Restaurants are the worst I have seen and public parks. Those who walk in the streets when there are sidewalks make me wonder if they have half a brain.

Edited by queenbee1, 15 April 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#8 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

I do have a phone, but I rarely use it. I just have it as an emergency, or a last resort contact option. 

I'm not on Facebook and I do not use any other social media sites. The concept of Facebook is very stupid for me. If I wanted to look at baby pictures I would open up google images... and I do not care what my friends last ate for dinner. 

• Lonello likes this

#9 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:44 AM

Unfortunately, I can usually only play stratego on my phone. I am beset with a lot of calls on my time if folks can see me, and all my computers are where others can see me. So I've played many a game on my phone in the park while eating lunch.
  • Kernel Mustard and zuriels like this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#10 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,666 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

I agree completely.  I think I'm the only person left in the world that doesn't even own a cell phone, and have no desire to get one.

I was always like that too. Finally I gave into the pressure last year I'm afraid. Got an old cell phone. It wouldn't do basic functions though, like pressing buttons to accept site rules. Now I have a better one since my last birthday. Haven't played a single game of Stratego with it though. I'm still an addict for my oldfashioned desktop :).

I completely agree with US too. No social media sites like Facebook for me. Only face I got online is the one over here ;)

• Fairway and zuriels like this
Lo

#11 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:08 AM

Can you ever imagine anyone saying yes, I am addicted and check my phone in restaurants, while with family and the average is now about 150 times a day. Don't hold me to that stat, but it is all over the internet. I don't care if people think that snapchat is the best thing ever and they need to be in constant contact with clients. My problem is those morons crossing the street and in some cases walking in the street looking at their phones. I will eventually break down and buy one, but my life will never revolve around a phone. There is too much beauty in the world and I don't want to miss a second of it.

• zuriels likes this

#12 zuriels

zuriels

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

Unfortunately, I can usually only play stratego on my phone. I am beset with a lot of calls on my time if folks can see me, and all my computers are where others can see me. So I've played many a game on my phone in the park while eating lunch.

Gary,  I for one think a laptop or desktop is better. But a phone seems faster. Unfortunately the last one i had got a virus on it. Besides I was getting it locked up. Phones are becoming way too technical even for a tech savvy person like myself.

#13 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Sam phones are much easier to hack. It literally takes minutes when traveling in parts of Eastern Europe and Russia and your phone will get accessed. I just find it funny that people think it is safe to keep all their private data on these phones. They are spreading across the world like a real virus. The give the poorer nations access to debt and because they are no sophisticated they will quickly find themselves in debt they can never pay back.

I love the people who walk their dogs in a beautiful park and in their other hand is their smart phone. A park and man's best friend what else is needed? Denial of the insidious way social media has infiltrated the world is the way people justify it. The phone is their only tether to being constantly connected. I liken is to a pacifier that a baby is given in lieu on a bottle. We don't need social media. We need to learn how to be more social. 

My definition of a friend is someone who will carry your casket or pick you up at the airport. Very few of your so called friends will do one much less both. We live closer to each other and claim access to many friends, but the definition of a friend has changed significantly.

• zuriels likes this

#14 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:50 AM

This topic had very little longevity IMO, but I just wanted to express my pet peeve. The problem is I am going to need to eventually buy one simply because I lot of people no longer was calls they want text. Even service providers and my phone will make calls and that's about it. However I am not going to load it up with social media and carry it with me if I go to a park or someplace that makes me feel like I am in a nature setting. I want to experience that. Cell phones are a tool. Not our lives.

#15 zuriels

zuriels

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

Well with phones and apps like kik, its much scary.

These two college kids killed a 13 year old. And tried to rape her. One was a girl and the other was boy who was really bright and had a great athletic future ahead of him. Its sad that sexual predators are allowed on these apps. Last week I reported a FB account for posting cp to my timeline. I guess it came from candy crush.I had no idea until I saw the first link. uploadpie was the site. I asked fb to block this account. They did and they thanked me for reporting it. And they fixed the game. I deleted all the links. I think if people want to be sexual in real life. that's on them. But with all the younger kids online, parents should moniter and keep passwords to social media.

It breaks my heart. It really does that these sick bast*ards do this to kids.

Cells were invented to call people in a emergency. not anymore though. Sry for my language mods. Please edit if you need to.

Edited by zuriels, 30 April 2017 - 05:29 PM.

#16 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

We don't need social media. We need to learn how to be more social. 

I'm surprised at how much anti-technology sentiment there is here, though I'm not sure how old most of you are, so that could be a partial explanation!

It's strange to welcome the internet and desktops/laptops, but somehow be against smartphones.. clearly a natural progression. To address one of the points made in the posts above - I think it's very ironic, QB, that you're using an online forum to echo the not uncommon opinion that social media comes at the too costly expense of real-world sociability, and that people should instead focus on socializing in real life..

These Stratego forums are not so different from other outlets of social media, except for the additional layer of anonymity. So in a sense I would call this a version of Facebook that's even further abstracted from the real world.

My definition of a friend is someone who will carry your casket or pick you up at the airport. Very few of your so called friends will do one much less both. We live closer to each other and claim access to many friends, but the definition of a friend has changed significantly.

I'm not sure if your point here is that people that remain connected through Facebook but not in real life are not actually 'friends'... but if so, I find this problematic. To tie this back to these forums, don't you consider many of the players on this site to be your friends? Likely without ever having met them in real life? I could certainly be wrong, but I doubt any of the Stratego forum members will be carrying your casket!

As for the presumptuous opinions about the mainstream social media sites:

These services can be used however you see fit.. Yes there will probably always be teenage girls making dramatic posts about their lives, or people that just flood their profiles with pictures of their babies.. so what? I think you would probably appreciate having such convenient and regularly updated access were these babies your grandchildren..

Speaking for myself, without Facebook I would certainly have completely lost touch with many people I knew throughout my life. How else would you propose to maintain connections with people you knew in grade school? High school? University? One of the big changes in the last few decades has been global mobility. I attend high school, university, and graduate school in different places, (even different continents), and have worked in yet another 3 places.

This type of geographic progression is not uncommon. So to expect friendship to be contingent on in-person connection is frankly ridiculous. Just as many people have family across the world, friendship is the same. There are people I haven't seen in many years (granted, very, very few people) that I would still take a bullet for, though depending on circumstances I might not be able to attend their funerals/carry their caskets.

Also, don't forget about the plethora of romantic relationships and families that have started over the internet! I haven't looked into research on whether these relationships are any more or less stable, but I do have a number of 'friends' that are in relationships with people they met through mobile apps. Fantastic for them, I say. 

Coming back more directly to the initial attack on smart phones specifically though, with new technologies there is always the good and the bad. Of course, kids that aren't raised well will have out their cell phones at the dinner table every night, and that's not great. But again this is all 'user error', so to speak. It's like saying guns are evil because some people murder with them (I'm not going to get into a debate about guns though... if you don't like that argument, let's replace 'gun' with 'baseball bat').

Think about all the positives of having such a high level of connectivity. Before mobile phones, how many people had a family member dying and weren't able to say their goodbyes because there was no way to get in touch? How many people that were out at night fell victim to murder or rape because they couldn't call for help, or they didn't have a cell phone to pretend to be talking into so would-be attackers were scared off? What about being a parent with a teenage kid who hasn't come home on time - without the text/call check in, you'd be very worried and might even have to call the police when the field trip bus just had a flat tire on the way back from some camp site.

One thing I will say about the internet though, is that it's a long way from being able to satisfy hunger. I will agree that food still needs to be ingested in real life, and on that note, I leave for lunch.

#17 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

I'm surprised at how much anti-technology sentiment there is here, though I'm not sure how old most of you are, so that could be a partial explanation!

I don't read anti technology here. We were talking about people using phones in inappropriate times to me. Like walking in a park or walking down the street or at a crosswalk. They are also used to screen out phone calls and maybe that is Mom calling as she doesn't text message.

It's strange to welcome the internet and desktops/laptops, but somehow be against smartphones.. clearly a natural progression. To address one of the points made in the posts above - I think it's very ironic, QB, that you're using an online forum to echo the not uncommon opinion that social media comes at the too costly expense of real-world sociability, and that people should instead focus on socializing in real life..

This forum is nothing like FB, Snapchat, IMGUR or places online to hook up like Tinder and Match.com. Maybe Despy you don't notice the same things I do. This is a discussion not an argument. I cannot deny your impressions any more than you can mine. So if social media as you see if is bringing us closer I will simply say that is not my experience. \

These Stratego forums are not so different from other outlets of social media, except for the additional layer of anonymity. So in a sense I would call this a version of Facebook that's even further abstracted from the real world.

Oh but they are very different IMO. I can type a lot more here and put out a cogent thought whereas our POTUS thinks Twitter is a good way to get his message across and he is not alone.

I'm not sure if your point here is that people that remain connected through Facebook but not in real life are not actually 'friends'... but if so, I find this problematic. To tie this back to these forums, don't you consider many of the players on this site to be your friends? Likely without ever having met them in real life? I could certainly be wrong, but I doubt any of the Stratego forum members will be carrying your casket!

I would call a few members on the forum friend (including you), but very loosely. I have three real friends on Stratego and I chat with them on Skype so that we may have a real conversation and not just type a few sentences at each other. We laugh and we share sad stories too. 

As for the presumptuous opinions about the mainstream social media sites:

These services can be used however you see fit.. Yes there will probably always be teenage girls making dramatic posts about their lives, or people that just flood their profiles with pictures of their babies.. so what? I think you would probably appreciate having such convenient and regularly updated access were these babies your grandchildren..

I cannot disagree with you, but I don't think my 85 year old mother wants a picture of her grand kids. She wants them to call which they never do. The convenience is to screen people out of your life.

Speaking for myself, without Facebook I would certainly have completely lost touch with many people I knew throughout my life. How else would you propose to maintain connections with people you knew in grade school? High school? University? One of the big changes in the last few decades has been global mobility. I attend high school, university, and graduate school in different places, (even different continents), and have worked in yet another 3 places.

I had a difficult school experience and I wouldn't want to keep in touch with any of them. So it is again just a matter of opinion. I feat the global communication (and this sound paranoid) is to ensnare the poor people of the world into debt apps. Promising them entrepreneurship and instead putting them in debt as they are not sophisticated to understand what they are signing up for. 

This type of geographic progression is not uncommon. So to expect friendship to be contingent on in-person connection is frankly ridiculous. Just as many people have family across the world, friendship is the same. There are people I haven't seen in many years (granted, very, very few people) that I would still take a bullet for, though depending on circumstances I might not be able to attend their funerals/carry their caskets.

I take your point and I agree. However your real friends will come to you side when you are dying, visit you in the nursing home or just stop by for a cup of tea or coffee. Human interaction cannot be replaced by bits and bytes, but in some cases it is better than nothing.

Also, don't forget about the plethora of romantic relationships and families that have started over the internet! I haven't looked into research on whether these relationships are any more or less stable, but I do have a number of 'friends' that are in relationships with people they met through mobile apps. Fantastic for them, I say. 

Good for them. It's not all bad 

Coming back more directly to the initial attack on smart phones specifically though, with new technologies there is always the good and the bad. Of course, kids that aren't raised well will have out their cell phones at the dinner table every night, and that's not great. But again this is all 'user error', so to speak. It's like saying guns are evil because some people murder with them (I'm not going to get into a debate about guns though... if you don't like that argument, let's replace 'gun' with 'baseball bat').

I don't car for the gun and baseball bat analogy here, but kids texting at the dinner table is just rude and the parents are probably doing the same thing. This type of observed behavior then infects us all like a virus and we stop sharing with those who are most close to us.

Think about all the positives of having such a high level of connectivity. Before mobile phones, how many people had a family member dying and weren't able to say their goodbyes because there was no way to get in touch? How many people that were out at night fell victim to murder or rape because they couldn't call for help, or they didn't have a cell phone to pretend to be talking into so would-be attackers were scared off? What about being a parent with a teenage kid who hasn't come home on time - without the text/call check in, you'd be very worried and might even have to call the police when the field trip bus just had a flat tire on the way back from some camp site.

I am sure there are plenty of these examples, but not a week goes by I don't have to swerve to avoid someone walking in the street looking at their cell phones. No one thing is all bad.

One thing I will say about the internet though, is that it's a long way from being able to satisfy hunger. I will agree that food still needs to be ingested in real life, and on that note, I leave for lunch.

I replied in red. I don't think we disagree on all things cell phone related, but I cannot imagine tech will ever slow down. I don't want it to. I just want people to use common decency and manners when they use them.

#18 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

I think common decency and manners are fighting an uphill battle. As tech advances less time will predictably be spent away from it so that many things that are practiced today will probably be forgotten due to lack of use. But even if tech grows and grows, if people can at least remember the Golden Rule that may help us stay civil to a basic degree.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#19 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:04 AM

I think the real challenge will be when humans are no longer needed except to do the most basic of jobs. Then we will need a minimum supplement wage or people will starve. So far we can find busywork for humans, but eventually a lot of people who think their career is safe, will be on the outside looking in. IMO there is very little that is still done in the field of law that cannot easily be replaced by machines. No judge, no jury, no lawyers. A felony in today's world is a death sentence unless you can avoid criminal background checks. Medicine is more and more computerized. A machine tells you what medicine you can have, what surgery is covered and eventually be able to do almost all surgery by robots that don't sweat and don't make mistakes. Who needs nurses to give out medication? 

This is way off the cell phone topic, but conversation is being replaced by social media. A politicians career can be destroyed in an instant on twitter and Facebook. It happens every day. Cops are now being seen as criminals and maybe some are, but the whole police department gets whitewashed. A cop pulls someone over and lookyloos stop and whip out the cells and take videos that will be up on youtube regardless of the legitimacy.

How is it that people give so much private information away so freely and no longer read disclaimers that need and attorney to understand. If you knew what you were really agreeing to or accepting you wouldn't do it. My neighbor and a scan card for nearly every store in Orlando. This way the stores online and brick and mortar know what is selling and how much they can sell it for. Prices go up and down on Amazon in the blick of an eye.

Some people just think they are immune. The only way to really protect yourself is paying cash and never entering personal information on the web. Every internet transaction you ever do there is a record of it. Amazon is the absolute worst along with Google.

Edited by queenbee1, 01 May 2017 - 05:23 AM.

#20 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:05 AM

In the meantime people on Stratego who play in tournaments will not offer a phone number, email or address. As if the tournament directors are anonymous stalkers. They will pay 30.00-80.00 a month for a cell phone and not even 10.00 to support Stratego. This is not a quid pro quo idea. It is supporting a membership like a country club. Yet joining a country club potential members will give the club virtually anything they ask for and pay dearly to belong.

I know there was a poll, but having a membership only based on what you get back in return is not the point. Why should the TC and NASF offer their time freely? A raise of hands of all those who would like to do the job?

I have been quoted that a membership should actually be 100.00 annually or about 25 cents a day, but not even a nickle? 10.00 is like 3 cents. Like I said apparently Stratego Membership is perceived as being worthless. Would those who enjoy the competition really you would just walk away?

The TC sells itself short and their registration fell way short of verifying anything. No email, no phone number, no nothing. IMO they did this out of fear that people will leave. I say let them go. Make membership worth something. We are not internet predators.

How about getting just one friend you can teach to play the game? The Greeks do it. The Dutch do it.

Edited by queenbee1, 01 May 2017 - 08:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users