despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:21 AM

This will be the trophy I will award to the top three. It is about 10 inches tall or 25 centimeters. FYI I could have gone with a bigger trophy for less money, but this one you won't hide in a box. When I win (yeah sure) I will display it proudly. The winners will have to entrust me with an address. The Amazon Gift Certificates have a code that you use at "check out" so I can send it to you via PM.

Trophy Image

Damn, that is going to be some expensive shipping...

#2 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,068 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:24 AM

Damn, that is going to be some expensive shipping...

I never considered the price of shipping.

Edited by queenbee1, 10 April 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#3 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,068 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

Here we go Ladies and Gentlemen with my latest learning curve and my first tournament. Shipping overseas is insanely priced. It is more than the trophies cost. So unless someone holds me to it and demands a trophy I am inclined to do this. Of course you can still donate your winnings to charity if you like. If anyone raises an objection (privately) I will simply eat the costs, but I hope that everyone agrees this is better.

This is what I propose.

Amazon gift cards that you can spend anywhere in the world.

First Place 100.00 

Second place 75.00 

Third place 50.00

Fourth Place 25.00

This is more than the cost of the trophies and you can buy anything they sell which is just about everything.

This was my own fault, but it also protects your identity. I will not need your addresses as the codes are emailed to me and I can send them to you via Private Messages. This has no impact on the other 9 gift cards that I am having a random drawing for at the end for everyone who did not finish in the final 4, but stayed in the tournament through all 7 matches.

There will still be a drawing for 8-25.00 GCs and 1 Grand prize of 100.00 for those who do not finish in the top 4 places.

Edited by queenbee1, 10 April 2017 - 05:50 PM.

• maxroelofs, Kambia, Master Mind and 1 other like this

#4 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

Shipping overseas is insanely priced. It is more than the trophies cost.

As the source of this enlightenment, I humbly request: (Cost of Shipped Trophies - Cost of Gift Cards) * 0.5.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

(In case it's not obvious, I'm joking)

• maxroelofs and queenbee1 like this

#5 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

Queenbee 6-1 Major Nelson

Bravo for the win, although I must admit that when u don t try at all to attack and wait 30 secs for each move it was logical for me to get angry and aggresive, thereby losing significant units.

#6 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,038 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

@ Nelson

Waiting 30 seconds per move, woud result in -14 seconds of buffer per move, which means you are out of buffer in like 20 moves.  ;)

But more serious now: I think that if people want to improve, you have to get control of your patience, some people just play less fast than others, Napoleon 1er for example is generally known to play pretty slow. It's part of the game!

Good luck in your next rounds!

Max

• Master Mind and queenbee1 like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#7 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

From my point view waiting for the otheer to get bored and angry is unacceptedable
I want to thank queen for organizing this tournament and as i understand she wants to make our game more popular and entairtenig
So i dont find it right when she plays with a new player playing just for winning him
I know nick( major nelson) pretty well and he is indeed impatient on other games also but queen should try make the game more entairtening for every player and not trying to receive a win that way ( it wasnt even a big match like a final lets say )

Edited by Henry domerkant, 11 April 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#8 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,068 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

I don't want hard feelings, but patience is actually my biggest liability. The game lasted a total of 40:58 minutes. Is this really unreasonable?

#9 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

But more serious now: I think that if people want to improve, you have to get control of your patience, some people just play less fast than others, Napoleon 1er for example is generally known to play pretty slow. It's part of the game!

"Pretty slow" is an understatement. He regularly runs down his buffer and spends 10-15 seconds every few moves when he just shuffles around. 

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 11 April 2017 - 10:20 PM.

• Lonello likes this

#10 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:51 PM

Queenbee 6-1 Major Nelson

Bravo for the win, although I must admit that when u don t try at all to attack and wait 30 secs for each move it was logical for me to get angry and aggresive, thereby losing significant units.

Queenbee is a fair player. We have played a few games together. She is always kind and she has never been slow versus me. :)

#11 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,068 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

This is where you can leave comments in regards to your game. Please don't add them to the results page.

QB

#12 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

The point i actually wanted to stress more was not how much time u needed for each move. From the beginning of the game i was desparetely trying to develop me game while u did not make a singke attempt to attack and waited for me to do so. I understand that u have the right to do so, of course, but i dont think we enjoy the game and improve this way.

#13 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

Anyway, i did not want to make a lot of fuss about this game, good win.

#14 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,904 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

i was desparetely trying to develop me game while u did not make a singke attempt to attack 

Yes, well, you are a very strong player. You're Gold! While Queenbee is Silver. That makes it up to you to attack if you don't want a draw. I would do nothing when playing Unladen Swallow either since he is Platinum, but I would surely be attacking Queenbee for I would hope to win that game, being Gold against Silver. You needed to break her defence, not the other way around. And I wouldn't complain if a Silver wins from me in a counterattack. It's all in the game. 

Lo

#15 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Lonello you have a point but as for me i would like to attack even if i play against hielco
  • Unladen Swallow likes this

#16 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,265 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

If your opponent doesn't want to attack, and you don't either, the only course of action is to request a draw and follow the draw refusal process if he refuses.
  • Henry domerkant likes this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#17 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,904 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

only course of action is to request a draw and follow the draw refusal process

Yes but that's the whole point, Gary. He wanted to win, not draw that game. He's a very strong player, exactly like you he is a Gold Miner. Were you to play Queenbee, you would want to win too, wouldn't you? So the point is, if you dared your luck then (her being all defensive) and she in the end defeated you, what would you say? 

• Henry domerkant likes this
Lo

#18 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,265 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

Well, studying how to attack is a huge part of the game, yes. I know I'm no good at it, that's for sure. There's a player named maurimauri who only shuffles until his opponent makes a mistake. His style of play is frustrating to me because one must attack to beat him and that's my precise weakness. He must have only limited success, since he is only low gold. But it's a style of play that's valid.

Risking an attack to win in such games is always a choice. Generally, myself, I'll always try to win and risk it. I figure I learn if I lose.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#19 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Maurimauri is an easy opponent to win but i have fun playing with more attacking players
It is always fun to play against my friend roeczak because the match is decided in a good risk from each part

#20 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

For those who are weak on attacking, I highly recommend you practice.  Offering a draw versus a shuffler as soon as possible isn't the right strategy. You won't learn how to attack if you do. 

Yes, you will lose some games at first when things go wrong. Eventually, you will improve and be more confident in your gameplay. 

I would do nothing when playing Unladen Swallow either since he is Platinum, 

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 12 April 2017 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users