Hielco

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

Why is it so hard to get a  ranked game on this site?

#2 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,445 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

My best guess is that it is because the system tries to match players who are close in rank, and only looks for players farther away in rank if there are none available.  There are very few players near you in rating, and players in the 700s through 900s are probably finding opponents in these ranges before the system can search long enough to match them with someone ranked much higher.  There are better ways to design the system so nobody would have to wait for more than say 1 or 2 minutes for a game, but unfortunately it doesn't appear the site is interested in programming improvements.

• Dobby125 likes this

#3 Hielco

Hielco

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

All i need is a player where i can get 1 point from.

Edited by Hielco, 04 April 2017 - 10:04 PM.

• Fairway and despy like this

#4 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

You should create another alias and work your way up. 

• Dobby125 likes this

#5 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:32 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Wjbjfm6ui3c

• Dobby125 and Fairway like this

#6 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hielco,

name a date and time, we will both be on the site and press the ranked button. I should lead to a match. I tried it before. It sometimes goes wrong and you get another match. If you win against me (you probably will  ;) ) you will get at least a point.

Moghedien

#7 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

This site has not improved a single point in 3 years

• Fairway and texaspete09 like this

#8 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hielco, I would be willing to try and also meet you online at a certain time as Moghedian said. If you are interested, I am sure we could get a scheduled line up of people willing to challenge you. 

@ Sohal, yes I agree. There is much that has been neglected at this site. The thing I think is the worst programmed thing here is losing more than 15 or 20 points in a single game. Think about it, if you lose to a player that takes 25 points from you then one of two things have probably taken place. Either the player you have played has a true skill of a much higher elo than the account he is using or he lottoed you to win. Where is the since that you deserve to lose 25 points or more with either of those scenarios? Ridiculous!

• Fairway, texaspete09 and evenseass like this

#9 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,235 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

Losing 25 is the same as losing to a player of equal standard twice, so I think it is a case of the number 'seeming' big, rather than an issue with ELO.

Let's say hypothetically you only lost 5 points when losing to a player of similar ELO, but 10 to a player well below you. It would make no difference to the rankings - we would just see a slightly scaled down version of the rankings.

#10 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

All I am saying TheO is that the maximum points that one should lose no matter who they are playing against should not be as high as 25 points. Regularly I play someone on a very low elo (which some players use a glitch I will not disclose publicly to play high ranked players with very low alternate account) then they switch to another low ranked account and do it again. I have literally lost 45 points in two games before because of the glitch with the high loss of points per game. 25 points is a very high amount of points to lose to somebody disrespecting the system. If I were to play this player on a true elo of his I would have lost maybe 8 to 12 points. It's annoying and I don't think it should be that easy to lose a quarter of 100 points in a single game, especially when it takes on average winning 4 games straight just to break even again. 

#11 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:15 PM

I will add this so that people are aware. If you are matched with a player that has around 400 points less than the account you are using it is 95% of the time a player with a main account close to the account you are using. The site is designed to match you with somebody close to you and if there is no one playing ranked at the same time as you with a similar elo then the site will match you with someone either a little higher or a little lower. So for example if you are 800 points and no one is available with a similar elo then the site will rank you with somebody approximately 650-950 points. If in this case you get ranked with a player that has 300 points, be weary and play your best because most of the time it will be a good player wanting to snipe a bunch of points from you. 

If you play a player that is similar elo to you and push ranked immediately after you finish the match and without searching very long a very low ranked player pops up, I have found that it is ALWAYS the same player using a different account. The telltale sign will be the very fast match up time. Usually if you have to wait a long time, it is normal that you will get somebody either a little higher or lower than you but if you don't have to wait more than  5 to 10 seconds before you get matched up with a very low ranked player, it will be the person you just played using a different account so change your setup and be aware he probably will be playing you based on what you did the very previous match. 

#12 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,235 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

So you are saying that a player logs in and then logs out on a different account (much lower ranked) and the computer doesn't realise the ELO is different?

#13 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,924 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

All I am saying TheO is that the maximum points that one should lose no matter who they are playing against should not be as high as 25 points. 

... keep happy ... maximum points you can lose is 24 not 25 :)  ... at least the maximum I've lost is 24 against players with at least 500 points ELO less than me

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#14 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

So you are saying that a player logs in and then logs out on a different account (much lower ranked) and the computer doesn't realise the ELO is different?

Yes, I have found this to be the case.  What I have found that prevents this from happening is to refresh the website entirely. Logging out of your account and logging back in with your same account will not prevent it. That is actually how I tested my theory. This used to happen all the time to me but then I learned to refresh my web browser and I stopped getting these very low ranked players. Simply logging out and logging back in will indeed still get you matched up with a player that is trying to exploit this glitch so that tells me that something is programmed (unintentionally I am sure) that links two players IP somehow but like I said, refreshing the browser prevents it. This is of course a theory but one I am very certain I am correct about because I have learned how to prevent it after dealing with it in a consistent way. 

Now of course this will not be every time you play a game, just when your opponent immediately logs out and back in under a different name. Another reason I started noticing this was because the two accounts always had the same flag. 

#15 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,924 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

. If in this case you get ranked with a player that has 300 points, be weary and play your best because most of the time it will be a good player wanting to snipe a bunch of points from you. 

When I get matched with much lower ranked players most of the time it is either a real weaker or one that feared my high rank and thinks his only chance is lottoing, only in a few cases it is a really good player with possible alias.

If you play a player that is similar elo to you and push ranked immediately after you finish the match and without searching very long a very low ranked player pops up, I have found that it is ALWAYS the same player using a different account. 

This is interesting cause if a player has to log out and login with another name again it takes a few 5-10 seconds so the matching cannot be immediate. In any case I agree each time i get matched very quickly for a new game after having just finished another game I change setup. The main reason I don't think it is due to ELO difference but to the fact that you get matched with the  player who has clicked "ranked game" right before or right after you and most likely such player is precisely the one against which you've just played.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#16 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

Yes, I have found this to be the case.  What I have found that prevents this from happening is to refresh the website entirely. Logging out of your account and logging back in with your same account will not prevent it. That is actually how I tested my theory. This used to happen all the time to me but then I learned to refresh my web browser and I stopped getting these very low ranked players. Simply logging out and logging back in will indeed still get you matched up with a player that is trying to exploit this glitch so that tells me that something is programmed (unintentionally I am sure) that links two players IP somehow but like I said, refreshing the browser prevents it. This is of course a theory but one I am very certain I am correct about because I have learned how to prevent it. 

To play against somebody with a similar ELO, just click the play button and wait around 10-12 seconds.  If you don't get matched up by that time, press cancel and start the search over again. 

#17 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

I am not saying that every time a low rank pops up it is an alias for a strong player. I have found however that if I get matched with one immediately after playing a match it is. And there is a way to bring a new log in screen up even while you are playing a match. I assume that is what these players are doing. That actually helps me with a clue Napoleon, the only way I could see it so quick is if they are logged in under two different names at the same time and push ranked immediately after the first account this person is using finishes. That would make since considering the signal that the server Stratego.com is receiving will be with the name that the first game was played under and while pushing ranked under the second name immediately following the first game, the server probably would not get a different signal in time to adjust the proper elo for the match up. 

#18 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Captain

• Moderators
  • 784 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

--Wogomite--

What you are suggesting is that there are players who have a true level of about 800 that maintain accounts at 400 ?

For what purpose ? To gain 22 points by beating you  ,rather than 12 or 13 ?

What would be the point of that ?

But apart from whatever bizarre motive , you have to think just how practical it would be do do this.

Firstly to get up to 400 or so an 800 player would need to play at least 25 games on the new account  . Then they would need to request ranked games , hoping to be matched with you , but when they were matched with someone their own level they'd need to maintain 50-50 results in order to stay at about 400 . So they could resign half those games but the other half they'd need to win.

As there are probably 100 times as many players at 400 than 800 they would be playing an awful amount of games , and resigning a lot too  , just so they could get an extra 8 points when they beat you , even though ELO points must be quite meaningless to them if they are resigning half their matches  ?? 

I think you just find it hard to accept that you can lose a legit game to someone around 400 . Really though a lot of players at that level can have strong aspects to their game . Of course they will have some bad weaknesses or they would not be down there , but sometimes they will play a higher player and the match will not reveal these weaknesses .

If a 400 player's main weakness is they struggle against aggressive players then in a match against a higher player with a defensive approach they will have a better chance than their rating indicates. I find the most common failing of players in the Silver level  is they don't play well when they are losing a close game and become very predictable , bringing out always their highest unknown piece first etc . Though these same players if they get a good lead at the start can be very difficult to beat . 

#19 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

Tobermoryx, I have played low ranked players that play great and when I compliment their skill I get a response of " this is the account I use when I am bored and don't want to care to play well". They go on to brag about their top ranked elo which is at times 600 points more than the account they are using while telling me this. I have had multiple different "low ranked" players make comments to the same degree different wording. I have also played players that are so spiteful that they do indeed keep low ranked accounts just to troll players that they want to "get back at". I do appreciate your optimism that the world does not have trolls that are capable of doing this but I can tell you, their are plenty. I know that this glitch does occur because of experience with the players that abuse it. What is interesting is that I have given plenty of examples that if nothing else, one that is thoughtful should think "huh, interesting Ill have to be aware and see if that is true" but the response I got from you is simply neglecting the possibility that it could happen. Why would one dismiss the possibility? My mind is some what boggled that you are so quick to dismiss what I have brought to everyone's attention.

I am not saying their are not low ranked players that are good despite having a few weaknesses. I am addressing a glitch that allows "trolls" to take advantage of the system in which I have had used against me a number of times and then also found a way to prevent it from happening. I'm sorry if what I have found rubs you the wrong way for whatever reason but I am only trying to help the community from having this happen to them.

#20 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

Because it is a stupid idea and you like to make up boogeymen.
  • evenseass likes this
3 - 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users