KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

I just played against a character calling himself MOLOS. This word is a Greek word for "jetty" although his profile shows an American flag. He came down one of my flanks and took a quality piece with his marshal. He had scouted one piece on another row, and on this flank I took a scout with my captain. So, his using the marshal was perhaps his third move. Unfortunately for him, he did not know that he was entering a situation which was going to go from bad to worse, for him, very quickly.

After he took this "choice" piece, I wanted to know his reasoning for such an early reveal of his marshal, so I chatted him:

"YOW!!! That is a very bold move. When I use my marshal so early, I usually screw things up. Does this work well for you?"

I waited for a reply and I was about to type this face " :-( " when I got a chat from him:

"Your [sic] a loser like your nation. Shut up and play."

I wrote back, "Well, just for that, I am going to have to take your marshal." Upon sending my message, I used my spy and captured his marshal. He was not happy. He then tried to bluff two pieces on the same flank and I scouted one being a miner...so I used my captain to take the other which turned out to be a sergeant...it was too much of a bluff like situation on his part.

From the other side of the board, in a similar placement to his marshal, I figured he was going to make an attack with his general on my weak side. He got cowardly with my pieces there because I moved them with too much authority, and I was keeping a bluff sergeant protected at all costs. He finally chatted something to me about my mother, then something about going to a hospital, and all sorts of other "well wishes."

My reason for not taking screenshots is that it really is not so important to me in this case. Much has been discussed about banning various players, and also trying to keep the player pool from dwindling away. As i really do not take any of this nonsense personally, I could enjoy walloping this guy by keeping cool. I chatted to him, "Your general is next." I had scouted the big boy earlier so I knew where it was, but he had ZERO information on me. He was wasting scouts on captains and sergeants, and then he scouted a major and started to move upon it with his general. Finally, after convincing him that my known captain was trapped, that my major needed to get out of the way, and that my marsh and gen were still unknown and had not moved...he made a play for my captain.

I took his general and chatted, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

He became even more pleasant with sharing even more thoughts about my mother, and I wrote back, "Why do you speak about your mother this way? I don't understand you."

"IM TALKING ABOUT YOUR MOTHER LOSER!"

I chatted back, "But my mother just took your general, so what does your mother have to do with this?"

He actually surrendered instead of disconnecting, but he did this after wishing us some astrological sign of the crab or something about Cancer or Gemini...I forget which one.

Oh well...it was a great pleasure to crush such an ill-mannered person.

Carry on!

KMC

#143 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like ya doled out a beating ! NICE KMC ! Your correct, MT does have other cases to handle. March on!  :)  ;)  :D

• KissMyCookie likes this

#144 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

Brother Ray...you are the sunshine in this desolate place of despair and depravity!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Great to hear from you!

Erin go Bragh!!!!

• rgillis783 likes this

#145 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

https://imgur.com/a/MPdPEHM

I win the rematch as well :)  B)

Get in to platinum :)

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#146 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

https://imgur.com/a/bqpIUFl

The screen tells it all. Amazing. This was my wrong setup- I chose the wrong setup (its' very bad). I though I was going to lose- I should've. I knew one bomb and had one chance to find the flag with my gen.. amazing

• Major Nelson likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#147 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

I can't get away with a boring game today :D

So I got matched with a plat sarge- if I win, I become gold marshal, if I lose, I go back down to gold colonel

In the beginning, he was extremely aggressive. This: https://imgur.com/a/c2jaHuJ was pretty much the situation. He scouted my cols pretty quickly and came down on each with his marsh and gen, unfortunately my defenses were swapped: the col guarded by the spy was threatened by his gen, and the col guarded by my marsh was threatened by his marsh. I wasn't in a good situation because he also had brought down his cols on the flanks and was threatening my pieces.

Then, all hell broke loose. This: https://imgur.com/a/vCftt4f tries to explain it. He took both cols with his marsh and gen, and I couldn't do anything about it. So, I decided to lotto on the left flank with my gen- when I approached his troops, he hit my gen with his col. Then my gen went on a little lotto and snagged a major, lieutenant, and miner. After losing his major, he took one step further with his marshal and took my known capt on the right lake, allowing my marshal to go free. When my marshal approached his side, his other col hit it. So: Now I'm up a major, 2 sergeants, and a lieut and miner, down two captains. Later in the game, I make what I think is a really smart move. After we've traded marshals and our other two majors, I allow him to take a sarge with his leuit next to my major without taking the leuit. Just then I discover a bomb with a scout and I rush my major up to pretend he's a miner and take it. He hits my major with his unmoved captain. Then I trap his gen with mine, and trap his capt with my major, and trade leuits. In the end I have a major, sarge, and miner to his capt and scout.. easy win , and he surrenders: https://imgur.com/wwbMq47

With this win I reached gold marshal and am on the gold leaderboard for the first time, around rank 140, and I feel that platinum is finally within reach 

:) :D

• GaryLShelton, Dobby125, Sgt. Blkdog and 4 others like this

#148 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:44 PM

I pulled a Dobby. Why not? :D

https://imgur.com/a/03TqQzA

• Dobby125 likes this

#149 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

WOW. Absolutely crazy, amazing win just now. Can't believe it. I clicked on ranked and kind of forgot... and came back 15 minutes later to this: https://imgur.com/a/7N4yYHM

Then I'm doing really bad because my setup is terrible, but I catch a HUGE break when he does this: https://imgur.com/a/5CrdeRR

And then I bluff my miner as my marshal and eek out a victory doing this.. without ever moving my marshal!  :o https://imgur.com/a/9sUt8Hg

The funny thing was, before he moved his marshal next to my spy, he had moved his marshal next to my flag easily 10 times  :P

• Dobby125, rgillis783, Fks and 1 other like this

#150 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

This is the very reason random setups work better than some think lol. Nice job! To be honest, random setups will cause you to play creative which increases skill tremendously.

Your marshal and flag is one great example of what a bluff can do :)

Just think of what you can do with an intentional setup using these same tactics.
  • TemplateRex likes this

#151 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:15 PM

Earlier tonight, I managed to beat Nortrom in a friendly game. :) I felt outplayed from the start but caught a break when my 2nd colonel found a major and my general sneaked past his in the center lane. After a lot of piece trapping from both sides, during which my gen may or may not have hit an unmoved major that I thought had moved (haven’t recorded, we both weren’t sure afterward), the endgame left me a major up and I managed to get a miner to his flag. :)

Thanks to Losermaker for his setup tutorials!
  • Dobby125 and rgillis783 like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#152 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

WOW. Absolutely crazy, amazing win just now. Can't believe it. I clicked on ranked and kind of forgot... and came back 15 minutes later to this: https://imgur.com/a/7N4yYHM

Then I'm doing really bad because my setup is terrible, but I catch a HUGE break when he does this: https://imgur.com/a/5CrdeRR

And then I bluff my miner as my marshal and eek out a victory doing this.. without ever moving my marshal!  :o https://imgur.com/a/9sUt8Hg

The funny thing was, before he moved his marshal next to my spy, he had moved his marshal next to my flag easily 10 times  :P

That was a nice win!  Some of my favorite wins are very long games where I never move my Marshal.

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#153 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

I've had a couple very satisfying wins lately against a horrible trash-talking lottoer by the username of "  12" (two spaces, then 12).  We played a game and he came blitzing down my left flank and got enough material to control the game.  He taunted on and on with horrible vulgar insults and eventually won. 

Not long afterwards we played again and the same thing happened. 

We then played a third game, but I was ready for him.  I placed low-ranking pieces on the left, put a bomb behind the lake on the left, put a Scout in the middle with my Marshal and General, and bombed in my flag in the far right corner.

Sure enough, His Marshal charged right down the left flank.  On my first move, I Scouted his General in the middle (he's always there; this guy always plays the same setup) and when he got next to the bomb I pulled my Marshal away from it on the other side in "fear", and, sure enough, he blasted his Marshal right into the bomb.   :D  He immediately stopped moving but didn't rage-quit or surrender.  He just used the entire 5-minute buffer to shout expletives into the chat.  I didn't care; I had him beat.

A short time later, we played again.  Again he used the same setup and "strategy", and I used the same defense and achieved exactly the same result - his Marshal captured a Scout and then blasted right into the bomb.  :D  :D  :D   Once again, he tried to melt down the chat for 5 minutes with foul infantile language.  I took a couple screenshots and reported him, and his account was banned - though I'm sure he'll be back with "     12".  No matter.  I'll be ready.

Very. Damn. Satisfying.

Edited by Lord Invader, 29 January 2019 - 06:52 PM.

• Nortrom and Dobby125 like this

#154 MrBond

MrBond

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

I have a few games in mind, but this one was where my opponent, informed me that I had a 70% chance of losing. This was after just a few moves and I was down a Captain, but you don't give in after losing a Captain do you? How he came to such a precise figure I don't know as I never asked him, but halfway through the game the tide was turning in my favour.

His pieces were in disarray, he had lost cohesion, and panic was starting to set in. He had lost control and moral was low amongst his troops. He tried to rally and made one last heroic effort to overwhelm my defence, but it was too little, too late. There was now only  going to be one outcome, but to give him his due he fought valiantly until the end. I asked him what the odds were now that I was well ahead, and he didn't reply. I suggested that they may be 80% in my favour now, but he never confirmed this. I went on to win that one and that was quite satisfying, but I can't fault the players confidence, and hey, he didn't insult me so that's a bonus. 

Incidentally, I don't remember the 'Smith and Wesson' quip from Gary, but Q always gives me a few extra gadgets if I'm in a tight spot of bother. And there's always the Aston Martin. Right, I'm off to Monte Carlo....

Do you feel lucky?

• Napoleon 1er and rgillis783 like this

I'm not super, and I'm no hero

#155 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

A game against 12 is always amusing. I don't know why they don't just IP ban that person, but oh well, always an easy win.

#156 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

A game against 12 is always amusing. I don't know why they don't just IP ban that person, but oh well, always an easy win.

wouldn't do much anyway as it is too easy for players like this to use a dynamic IP

#157 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:54 PM

When you ask your opponent for a draw and they say no.  Then you ask again for a draw and they still say no.  Then you beat them.  That's always a sweet victory.

Absolutely stunning game today. I will remember this one for a very long time!

After losing three games straight, I was matched up with DDD/DDC. Never played him before.

I needed some redemption for the previous losses and looked to make it back up to gold marshal, but after 3 minutes of playing, it became obvious this wasn’t to happen.

He was extremely aggressive. His front-row colonel took my captain, and then he took my sergeant bluff with his marshal. Then he came down with his marshal, waltzed it right into my setup, and attacked behind the lake- hitting a colonel that, unfortunately, didn’t have the spy behind it.

Then I brought my general out and chased a known major into his setup, opposite the side of the marshal- and he traded generals- without discovering it! He blindly guessed!

At this point I’m disgusted and frustrated. I’m going to drop a fourth game to this insanely lucky lotto guy.

Then things get even worse. He scouts my major and corners it with his col and marshal. At this point I’m down a colonel, a major, a captain, and a lieutenant, with gens traded. And the only thing I’m up? 2 miners.

At this point I’m very close to surrendering. My marshal and colonel are still unknown but unable to make an attack do to their positioning in my setup and his attack formation. I let a few minutes run off my buffer and evaluate the situation. I calm down, stop being frustrated, and try to see how I can manage to sleaze a draw out.

So, I advance on the opposite of the marshal side with my colonel. I get major (yes!!!) before halting. Then upon recognizing that he was bringing over his marshal to meet my colonel, I brought up my spy, acting as a miner, to diffuse a known bomb. Then I pretend to “realize” my “mistake” and retreat my pieces- he hits the colonel with the marshal, and I take his marshal.

Ok. I’m still in a very improbable draw situation, but I do have the ultimate piece on the board (a marshal) and, it’s unknown. Also at this point his spy is obvious. I could have gone on a lotto rampage, but chose to be patient and keep him hidden- for now.

As he’s now down a marshal and 2 miners but up 2 cols, capt, and a lieut at this point, so he gets aggressive with his majors. I’m forced to take his major , revealing my marshal, in order to avoid losing my known captain. At this point I’m up a marshal, major, and 2 miners, and down 2 cols, a capt, and a lieut. I thought I was keeping track of the spy… but I forgot it and I used my last scout on his captain….. crap… But he makes a bad blunder and advances the spy to far into my territory, allowing me to trap it and take it with my sergeant.

At this point I trap his colonel with my marshal on my flag side and we play run around the lake with my major and his colonel for about 10 minutes.

I ask him for a draw. He says no.

I ask him for another draw. Says no again. Documenting screenshot the whole time to make a refusal case.

Then finally he goes into action. He wards my major off with his colonel and brings his captain down, chasing a known miner of mine. I offer him the miner in exchange for the captain, and he takes it. So at this point up a marshal, maj, and miner, down 2 cols, and a lieut.

However taking the captain freed up his other colonel. He tries to trap my major with his cols but I make it there by 1 space and am able to ward off the cols. I reestablish my trapping of the one col and we run around the lake some more.

Then he brings down a miner, his 3rd one now, and advances it into my setup. I take it with a sergeant. Then he comes down with a lieut, threatening the sergeant, and I run away to my marshal. Rather than try to trap the serge, he attacks, with his lieut, an unknown piece- and blows it up on a bomb.

Now up a marshal, maj, 2 miners. Down 2 cols. At this point my flag is getting really obvious however.

Then he brings down his 4th miner and hits my lieut with it. B/c of the two square rule he traps the lieut but he only has one miner left. However now there is only 1 option for my flag.

While he traps the lieut I bring a miner and my major up. Then I bring my marshal over for assistance, freeing up the col, and advance on his likely flag area. He confirms its his flag when he is forced to hit my miner with his lieut, and I take the lieut.

But his colonel was freed, and a piece acting like a bomb- it moved. Probably his last miner. I count the spaces- my marshal is 1 SPACE too short to stop the miner, moving toward my obvious flag at this point. Darn. After ALL that work- that comeback, so epic- I’m going to lose.

So I move to defend with my marshal even though it’s a lost cause. His flag is also obvious that this point. But then he makes the fatal error. When my marshal moves in between his col and his miner (with his miner being closer to my obvious flag than my marsh)…. He moves the col away, gifting me his last miner. WHY would you do that! SUCH an obvious win! But now I have a draw, at least, and now and favorable to win !!!

At this point up a marshal, maj, miner, down two cols. He hits a piece behind another piece that was discovered as a bomb…. And blows up his colonel. My double bomb worked. GG at this point—I win!!

Then with a last ditch chance he bring down his scout as my marshal traps his col, my maj traps his serge, and my miner heads to his flag. He nails a bomb with his scout… and then… wait for it… disconnects…   :D

This was so incredibly satisfying because I offered him two draws and then won. And his  unnecessary lottoes and KABOOMs after refusing the draws made it all the more satisfying. And of course the disconnect. That was perfect.

Spectacular game. Will remember it for a long time. And... 14 points was just enough for Gold Marshal :D

https://imgur.com/a/4FmzcOF

• Dobby125 and Yellowhat like this

#158 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:25 AM

Comeback wins are always so satisfying. But here I have a comeback win that I would like to share with you all that I think is quite amazing, beyond extraordinary. Oh wait, did I say a comeback win? I'm sorry, I meant 2 comeback wins, both of epic proportions.

First game

I'm playing this game late at night. Past midnight. Can hardly focus. Note to self- don't do that again.

Matched up with a bronze miner, hgt0--- he has 500 wins and 2500 losses, not exactly a great ratio. I load up a bronze strategy and click ready.

Playing late at night, I am not focusing well and want to get the game over with. I needed one point to get to 640 (gold col) on my alt- this guy would do it. Anyway I advance my front row captain and trade them off. Then I advance my second row general into his setup, and he hits it with his piece on A7.... and guess what.... marshal. LOL! Well that started off good. General down the drain.

So I switch to marshal in the center. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose anyway, with how bad I'm playing, so I just lotto. I take a captain and scout before nailing a bomb. Easy win for him now.

I was about to surrender when I noticed the chat bubbles piling up.

"Who made you gold major?"

"You suck! Thanks for the points"

"wow thanks for the free win.... boom"

etc.

Simply due to his nastiness I decided to play it out. Who knows, he's bronze I could get lucky.

Yea, not a chance. Very soon it became evidence I was wasting my time. We trade cols and majors and then he discovered my last colonel... and traps it between his gen and marshal. Even worse, his 2nd col finds my last major. Down 4 pieces at this point.

But then his bronze instincts kick in. Instead of simply trapping my pieces until I can't move any more, he allowed me to shuffle in my corner of the board while bringing down pieces to scout on my marshal side. We trade some more pieces off as he finally identifies my bomb wedge and brings down a miner to diffuse it. Game over.

As his last miner approaches, his flag has now become obvious. his colonel is guarding to entrance to the lane above the flag. In last chance desperation I move my captain next to the colonel into the lane.... and he doesn't take it. He continues advancing his miner.

I count the steps. My captain will reach his obvious flag ONE SPACE before his miner reaches my obvious flag. LOL :D

And that's how it went. My captain made it one space before his miner. He took the bomb with his miner, chatted some not very nice things, then disconnected. Poor guy, he missed out on 25 points... bummer.

https://imgur.com/a/ML5H0r3 (was DCed during, graveyards reset- have labelled the field with his pieces- he was up a marshal, general, colonel, major, and captain when he left as I was about to get his flag)

Game Two

The next night, it's a lot earlier. This time I don't have an excuse to play bad. Actually, scratch that, I do. I forgot I clicked ranked and I got an awfully terrible setup. My marshal, general, and one col lied exposed in the opened 6 lanes. My flag and other col are in the front row behind the lake. Not good, I will have to play very aggressive. And my opponent isn't bronze this time, he's a silver sergeant. 

So ... on the first move he scouts my marshal. Well then. But wait it gets worse, then he scouts my colonel. Lol. Terrible start. 

I decide to lotto with my marshal. Well not exactly lotto, more like advancing on moved pieces. He had a few pieces he moved on the right side and he took my colonel with his general in the center- nothing I could do, his general was ready to take and I couldn't move out of the way. Marshal was in the other lane. 

Anyway, I advance with my marshal, and the first piece I move next to is spy. So then I take my general, on the opposite side of the board, and attack the first piece in the front row- it was a bomb. LOL! Wow, epic fail. Game over, down a marshal, general, colonel.

Anyway he discovers a major in the center and takes that with his marshal, trapping it with his general as well. Then we trade colonels on the other side. And then trade off some smaller pieces, but then he goes to work with his col and gen and traps several pieces including capts and lieutenants. 

And unlike my bronze opponent the previous game he had the conscience of mind to actually trap my movable pieces instead of letting me shuffle. But he makes a critical error late in the game by advancing too deep in my setup with his general and colonel to try my spy, and I made a move with my major in the center acting like a bomb. His majors, on the right, were far out of play, and his marshal in the center-left was also in a bad position, but he chased the major down with his marshal.

Having diffused 3 bombs in the right side (it was indeed bombed off) I knew he only had three bombs left. So I decided my chances to lotto with the major in the second row were good. I picked up two captains and a lieutenant before advancing further into his setup, his marshal chasing me all the while.

But when I moved down into his back row, trapped up against what was obviously his flag case, he seemed nervous. Very nervous. He waited a few seconds to move but instead of chasing with marshal brought down a major to trap.

This major was obviously my last chance at anything here. But he seemed very nervous. So I hit the piece under his marshal with my major, hoping for flag.... and lo and behold, what an amazing stroke of luck... I struck gold.

This guy was up a marshal, general, colonel, major, captain, and 2 lieutenants, and was up 2 more captains and another lieutenant before I lottoed them with my last major. How you don't win with that type of lead IN THE ENDGAME, I have no idea. He had 5 pieces that could have killed my last major, yet none of them could prevent my game-winning lotto. lol.

And the funniest part-- my flag stayed in the center behind the lake the whole time. lol :D

https://imgur.com/a/bRCwvQr

• tobermoryx, Yellowhat and R u Mocking Me ? like this

#159 hondjekapitein

hondjekapitein

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 3 weeks ago