#121 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,072 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

I just played a match where I had a decent advantage but hit a front row bomb with my gen due to overconfidence that it had moved... despite the shock that I would almost certainly lose another game because of a total stupidity I managed to play well until the endgame where I got the win with a major and 3 miners against the opponent's gen, major and captain. :)

• Fks likes this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#122 Tilor

Tilor

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

I just defeated a player whose moniker was something like llyco.llyco. I went in early with both colonels and lost them to the marsh and gen respectively. I then made a few bad plays and was in a very bad spot. He found my marsh with a miner, and it seemed like I had no chance at all to win.

After a few minutes he began to call me a noob, an idiot, etc. He told me he would have surrendered already instead of wasting time. He continued this kind of chat for the remainder of the game. 

Then, I managed to kill his spy with my last scout and made a few good plays to even the score slightly. We traded generals, but I was still down a both cols, and a major. He ate a bomb with his last major, we traded our last captains, and he fell for my false flag triangle with his third miner. Then, I traded miners for his fourth. I got a sarge loose and lucked into his last miner, which hadn't moved. 

At this point, he only had his marsh and two cols. I had my marsh, spy, two miners, and a sarge. After some maneuvering, I got my last miner loose straight up the middle a step ahead of his marshal to his obvious flag. 

Even without all his/her mouthing, this was a great feeling win. However, with the constant put downs, and goading to surrender, this win will go down as my favorite win to date. Thanks, llycos for making my day!!!

https://i.imgur.com/ORRSVUs.png

• rgillis783, Major Nelson and TemplateRex like this

Top Rating reached 6/8/18 - 716 Platinum Spy 

Current Rating as of 6/10/18 -687 Gold Marshal

#123 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:45 AM

My most satisfying win was in the Fall of 2000 in the "Elite" tourney that was run on the old MS Gaming Zone.  It was the final match of the winners bracket and it was me against a player named "SaadMohammed" who was then the #1 ranked player on the Zone.  Saad and I had great games over the years but this one was the most memorable Stratego game I ever played.  I still remember the key parts of it including the entire endgame and still think about it from time to time.  I was slightly behind in material going into the midgame, but neither of us had any good info.  Then I took a col into his set.  He just let it walk right in.  I tried a double bluff, acting like it was a big piece but trying to make him think it was a small piece acting like a big piece.  I hoped he would hit it with a cap or even maj...and I would have been happy with a luey, and then I would have quickly run away.  But he smelled the whole thing and hit with his marsh.  Now I was down a col with nothing to show for it.  Half the walkers were already gone.  I thought I was toast.  But Saad was uncharacteristicly impatient and overconfident.  He hit a known cap at my left entrance with his gen!  Moved right in next to three unknowns.  My marsh was two spaces away.  I cursed myself and wished my marsh was closer.  Then he hit the next piece!  A scout that was between his gen and my marsh.  I couldn't believe it.  I had been doing stuff on the other side and he was totally convinced the marsh was there, and being up a col felt ok taking the risk.  I killed his gen and was back in the game but was still down a col and cap with half my pieces dead.  A tough road still.  Then the funniest thing happened.  Right before he had shown his gen I had advanced my gen up the other side and he had brought a piece out to meet it.  I thought sure it was a serg or something so even though I was standing right in front of it I hadn't hit it yet.  I even retreated with him chasing only to stop and have him not hit me, then retreat himself.  The pieces had gone back and forth like this a couple of times, me reluctant to show gen, and he hesitating too for some reason.  But right next to each other they stood.  Right after I killed his gen he hit my gen with that piece and it was a col!  Now I was up a gen and he was up a cap.  It was a slow bleed after that but I was able to make up the cap and get to the flag.  It was a very sloppy game from both sides but it was fantastically memorable because he was the best player and I beat him, went on to win the tourney, and a short time later displaced him as the #1 ranked player on the Zone.   

• Don_Homer, rgillis783, Major Nelson and 1 other like this

#124 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:15 AM

https://youtu.be/TL2KAOHwFpw

A draw refusal. Ending turning out pretty good for me I sped it up 3x. It gets to the action at 6:45 ish. But to get the idea of what was going u can watch the whole thing. I put more info in description if video. I hope you enjoy.

The luit I hit with marsh was moved earlier in game.

• TemplateRex likes this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#125 Sgt. Blkdog

Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

Maybe not my most satisfying, but a bit unexpected. My opponent had an ELO of 201 compared to my 700+ ELO

My opponent had a Colonel 2 Majors and 2 scouts

I had a Colonel and a Sgt.

I knew his colonel and he knew mine as it was the only piece I was moving

The board to him looked something like this

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.25.59 AM.png

He may have know some of my bombs, but I don't know for sure which ones.

He had no bombs left but my Colonel could not get past his. He had no miners so he couldn't get to my flag.

He refused my draw request, which I don't blame because he had a couple of spare pieces to throw against the bombs just in case I did something weird with flag placement.

Then I got careless and moved my Colonel to where it could be trapped. I said "ugh" as I knew he had my colonel pinned. He got very excited saying "I WIN!!!!!!!!"  My only chance was if he decided to save his major (which I didn't know the rank at the time) but he sacrificed it to keep my colonel trapped.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.31.32 AM.png

After taking one of his majors, he moved to keep me pinned. After my next move he traded colonels. It wasn't until then, that I realized my sgt.  had a clear shot to his flag, he only had one piece near his flag, but he moved it 2 squares so I knew I had him.

Felt a little bad for him, but I got over it pretty quickly.

Edited by Sgt. Blkdog, 15 March 2018 - 07:19 AM.

Wuf!

#126 hellinon

hellinon

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

I played a game with someone and got defeated by lotto moves. While playing the second game with this guy I was again ahead he started doing lotto again, this time x3. But God forgives, Hellinon never does. W for me.

• Henry domerkant and damon13 like this

#127 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

I played a game with someone and got defeated by lotto moves. While playing the second game with this guy I was again ahead he started doing lotto again, this time x3. But God forgives, Hellinon never does. W for me.

Haha :) Congrats on your tourney win and good luck in future rounds ;) 

Again, of course, I didn't beat you by lotto moves our first game, but that's alright. It's been said and done. I wish you the best.

• Sgt. Blkdog, tobermoryx, MTinsley and 1 other like this

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#128 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

Again, of course, I didn't beat you by lotto moves our first game, but that's alright. It's been said and done. I wish you the best.

Yes Fairway mentioned this game to me It seems he masterfully distracted you to bring ur 2 high pieces away from the middle which he then drove a miner through straight to the flag! This is something you have to look out for late game. I recently lost a game in the same fashion.

#129 Sgt. Blkdog

Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:16 AM

These comments depict someone with class and character. Take heed adults.

• MTinsley likes this

Wuf!

#130 Sgt. Blkdog

Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Had a nice win the other day... I exposed My Marshal early to capture a Major, then preceded to walk him into a bomb.

I think it must have shape-shifted because I coulda swore it moved.

Anywho, later his known Marshal moseyed up alongside my spy, and he also ran a high piece into a second row bomb which was behind a first row bomb.

I ended up with a significant lead at the end.

A bright spot in a very dismal week for me.

Wuf!

#131 Tilor

Tilor

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:58 PM

Had a very nice win just a moment ago! I was matched against Boofhead for the first time ever. This player is the absolute definition of a lotto player. Had marsh on front row on one side, and gen on front row on the other. Charged in with no scouts and just began to take pieces like crazy. Had a huge material advantage in a hurry, and ended up hitting my marsh with his marsh and my gen with his gen. I looked like I was going to lose, so I began to lotto with my col which had broken free during the melee. 

I lapped up a good bit of his material and then hit a bomb. He eventually hit a bomb with both his cols. At the end, I broke through with my last remaining miner and opened up his triangle where I assumed his flag was. I wasn't 100% sure, so I tried to get to the other spot that I suspected he might have a flag, but his miner beat mine. Out of desperation, I hit what I hoped was his flag with my remaining col. IT WAS! Good Game, Boofhead!

Edited by Tilor, 12 April 2018 - 10:59 PM.

• rgillis783, Fks and TemplateRex like this

Top Rating reached 6/8/18 - 716 Platinum Spy 

Current Rating as of 6/10/18 -687 Gold Marshal

#132 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

https://imgur.com/a/5Fp962A

Probably one of my most satisfying wins ever, against someone with 840 ELO. This was one weird game. I had the info advantage for awhile but was unable to take advantage of it because of his bomb structure. Then he came in with his unknown gen and randomly hit my major which could have been guarded by my marshal. So he had a major and 2 minors on me, and I had a captain advantage. Then he kept on going with his gen, and I was forced to trade generals. He knew my colonel, but did not know my marshal or spy, and I knew his marshal, colonel, and was almost certain of his spy. He kept trying to trade cols, but I didn't want to, and backed up my col behind my marsh (acting as spy) so it didn't work for him. Then he came in with a sarge and tried to hit my marshal, but I took it with my lieutenant. Then he came in with an unknown piece from the back row... a minor, probably, right? He waltz it right up to my marshal and lieutenant, and I took a gamble. I hit with marshal- it was his major. Then his marshal was trapped and I was ready to blitz my col right into his setup, where his last captain, spy, and col was; he would have been forced to trade. He had one side bombed off, his marsh was trapped, and I had a captain and lieutenant on him- he surrendered.

+20 pts  :D

• Wogomite and rgillis783 like this

#133 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:50 PM

https://imgur.com/a/5Fp962A

Probably one of my most satisfying wins ever, against someone with 840 ELO. This was one weird game. I had the info advantage for awhile but was unable to take advantage of it because of his bomb structure. Then he came in with his unknown gen and randomly hit my major which could have been guarded by my marshal. So he had a major and 2 minors on me, and I had a captain advantage. Then he kept on going with his gen, and I was forced to trade generals. He knew my colonel, but did not know my marshal or spy, and I knew his marshal, colonel, and was almost certain of his spy. He kept trying to trade cols, but I didn't want to, and backed up my col behind my marsh (acting as spy) so it didn't work for him. Then he came in with a sarge and tried to hit my marshal, but I took it with my lieutenant. Then he came in with an unknown piece from the back row... a minor, probably, right? He waltz it right up to my marshal and lieutenant, and I took a gamble. I hit with marshal- it was his major. Then his marshal was trapped and I was ready to blitz my col right into his setup, where his last captain, spy, and col was; he would have been forced to trade. He had one side bombed off, his marsh was trapped, and I had a captain and lieutenant on him- he surrendered.

+20 pts  :D

This player is actually rated in the 900s "The black mamba" is his main account so well done Fairway :)

• Fairway likes this

#134 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

This player is actually rated in the 900s "The black mamba" is his main account so well done Fairway :)

How do you know that?? That's awesome :)

#135 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:08 AM

just looked at PIAA.. black mamba = shaman... he told me he was Shaman :)

#136 Wogomite

Wogomite

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:32 AM

Today The Shaman is rated at 944. Well done Fairway. 

https://imgur.com/a/L71rlOI

#137 Wogomite

Wogomite

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:37 AM

Fairway, if you don't get your rank up soon, people may start accusing you of sand bagging like they do Fks. 

#138 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:50 AM

Today The Shaman is rated at 944. Well done Fairway. 

https://imgur.com/a/L71rlOI

Look 12 ranks up.. The Black Mamba is 973 ELO :) (another one of his accts)

#139 Wogomite

Wogomite

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:59 AM

Does that mean you will be up there also?

Remember this, at your level, patience will be the only thing required to work your way higher. Don't play when you are tired and don't play when you are frustrated. If someone lottos you, no need to get irritated. If you do, stop playing. 

• rgillis783 likes this

#140 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

https://gyazo.com/5b...a9c428e727a8ad4 He is a very enjoyable player to play against :) We are now 1-1-1 ! Sorry Fairway I join the club now <3

• Fairway likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users