KnightofPepsi

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

After watching my rating go from 450 down to 298 over the past few days on a really bad losing streak, I would say any win would be highly satisfying at this point LOL.

Edited by KnightofPepsi, 10 December 2017 - 11:13 PM.

• rgillis783 likes this

#102 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

nZnhnj.png

Not all that satisfying, but a somewhat amusing win just a few minutes ago.

My opponent had charged with his general on my left flank, picking up a known captain. Then he also showed his colonel to pick up a known lieutenant. I managed to get out my marshal on A6 and push gen+colo back to the lake corner, where a spy is most likely hidden on C7. My marshal got found out in the process, though. On my right, I found one bomb, and no other activity, so I strongly suspected another bomb on J8, and didn't want to waste a lieutenant on it. In the center, I had found out another colo and came in with my general but got blocked by his probable marshal on E6. 

With this stalemate set up, red decided to exchange generals, so he first brought his colo from C8 to E8 and then moved his gen down to B8. Then I moved my marsh to A7, he moved his gen left to C8 and boom, scout B7 :) With his spy's demise imminent, he kinda imploded and captured my captain on E5. I then charged in with my marsh + gen to pick up both colonels. He even didn't try to lotto his gen and/or marsh and gave up right away.

Anyway, two questions.

1) what would you have done as red? Bring one colonel behind the marsh, and then exchange gen/marsh and hope to find a major with a colo before my marsh is back in the center? 

2) what would you have done as blue if red had kept up the stalemate? My miners on my right flank were a bit buried, but I had one colo ready there. Should I have dug a tunnel on the J-file hoping to pick up a major somewhere? I wasn't relishing the thought of navigating big minefield there though.

#103 Nortrom

Nortrom

Captain

• WC Online Team
  • 939 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

Looking at the image, (so not taking into account the moves that did happen according to your story) this is a free captain for red.

• TemplateRex likes this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

Follow the 3rd Online World Championship: http://forum.strateg...d-championship/

#104 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

If he wants to bring his general to the center he simply moves col to b8 and spy to c8
  • TemplateRex likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#105 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 3 weeks ago

https://postimg.org/...rv3mz/0f1f033b/

I had a 1 in 5 chance to guess the flag (didn't want a draw) and I guessed right!! 629- highest ranking every, gold major!

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

-Fairway, December 2015

#106 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

I played a game awhile back that I did everything possible to lose(I had lots of excuses for playing badly... totally exhausted, distracted, a very costly misclick, a few stupid moves).  Anyway, I lottoed my Marshal into a bomb, hoping to find an open flag to no avail.  I was in lotto mode the last 5 minutes of the game(I just wanted to go to bed).  My opponent had 4 pieces left to check 4 pieces that didn't move.  And I had to move 1 of my remaining pieces, so he really had 4 pieces to check 3 pieces that didn't move to win the game.  And 2 of his pieces were scouts.  Here's what the board looked like.  The labeled pieces were revealed(i assumed the spy was correctly a spy).

https://www.dropbox....8/game.jpg?dl=0

How many of you would have quit after lottoing the Marshal?  My odds of winning were about as close to zero as it gets. And my opponent probably had a bombed in flag and I didn't have a miner.  Yet, somehow I still won.  It wasn't a satisfying win because I played awful and should have won easily.  But it was a miracle win that shouldn't have happened.

#107 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

looks like you won only because your opponent played worse than you. 

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#108 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

looks like you won only because your opponent played worse than you. 

This applies to most games amirite

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#109 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

This applies to most games amirite

:)  Yup.  Sometimes, no matter how badly you play, a player will self destruct and give you a win.  It helps if they are a 2700 game lotto player with a 262 ELO and a below .500 winning percentage.  I will give him credit, he didn't give up when he was down a marshal, captain and lieutenant.  I think that's when I quit playing.  He just kept on lottoing and I found myself down a lot of pieces a few minutes later.  Here's the ending. 

https://www.dropbox....erquit.mp4?dl=0

His downfall was a bad memory and he got too cocky at the very end(I'll never understand why so many players let pieces get captured needlessly).  I should have won the game when he scouted the bomb in the corner for a 2nd time(the flag has to be on the back row... it has to be). All I had to do was move my captain up to trap his spy before he got to the bomb behind the lake. There's no doubt he would have wasted his last scout on the bomb behind the lake.   Of course, I was in lotto mode and didn't see it.  Major blunder on me!  I really wanted to lose the game, but he wouldn't let me.  When I captured his scout and knew I won, I should have offered him a tie.  :lol:   I love this game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users