Tilor

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted A week ago

Not actually a win, but I just played to a draw with Laoura_F who was rated 734. My current rating is 677. 

I made a mistake in my setup and left my gen and col open on the right side. My opponent found them both and began to make a lot of comments about how badly I play. This person had one thing after the other to say as we played, and I fully expected to lose. However, toward the end I actually had a small advantage and would have won if not for my opponent's end game skill. In the end I had a col and my opponent had a col and sarge. My flag was bombed and her's was open, but I opted for a draw, since I was pretty sure I would choose the wrong piece and blow up  :)

Props to Laoura_F for a game well played!

Top Rating as of 9/14/17 - 682 Gold Marshal

#82 roeczak

roeczak

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 6 days ago

Α very satisfying win came today against Spanish player artemiso. He was left with a colonel , major and captain against my major , lieutenant , three miners and scout.

His three pieces were blocking the three entrances to his field, with his colonel and major blocking my 2 miners , while my major was blocking his captain in the right entrance , where I had a lot of unmoved pieces.

He was constantly double chasing and offered me a draw , which i rejected and chose to sacrifice my lieutenant to get the 2 sq. Rule on his captain so my 3rd (unmoved) miner could pass.

However , he did not accept the sacrifice at first. I kept offering till the point where he had to either take the lieut or let it pass , and he let it pass.

Just when I wass thinking of offering a draw he typed " oh I made a mistake because you bored me " and surrendering , beleieving my lieut was a miner!

Highest rating : 838 (Platinum Major)

#83 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 6 days ago

Yesterday I got a victory with my alias Derrick Rose I m going to remember for a long time. I don t remember the opponent s name, but it s probably the most difficult win I ve ever taken. A little after the beginning of the game the opponent scouted one of my colonels and managed to capture him with his general, which came from a very unexpected position (left corner). Fortunately for me his general had advanced a lot and so I managed to trap him with my unknown marshall and a lieutenant. However, the opponent guessed corretly which my marshall was and escaped. So, I was down a colonel and a knew his general and he knew my marshall... no good at all! In my desparation I took a major at the right side and lottoed, capturing a lieutenant, two scouts, a miner and a captain before crushing at a bomb after being trapped by a higher value piece. Having such a big disadvantage, I progressed towards his army from the left side with my marshall, without hitting any unmoved pieces, but still taking almost for granted that he didn t have his spy at that side - basically I hoped so cause his general initially was at a very weird position, so it seemed possible that his spy would also be at an unlikely position - and captured a major and some other pieces. In the meantime, I continued attacking his right side - which stood out as his weak side - with a captain, this time making use of scouts first. I erroneously suspected that the opponent s marshall was at the center and that my marshall was not allowing him to pass, so as soon as I managed to find some space I took a colonel to the left side (the side his general was) to attack his moved pieces. To my surprise, his marshall emerged from the left to capture my colonel. Everything seemed to go wrong as I was down now two colonels... After the colonel s loss, I took my general from the right and continued attacking - first scouting. To my surprise, I was lucky enough to discover the his last miner and capture it with my general. Then, I threatened some moved pieces close to his marshall and in order to avoid losing some of his pieces, he exchanged marshalls. Now I had the draw guaranteed as he couldn t capture my bombed flag and all I needed to do was to avoid exchanging generals. At that point of the game we both had many pieces left and although I had a big advantage at sergeants and miners, it was very difficult for me to march towards his flag because of his colonels. But I didn t offer draw yet and it proved a right desicion cause the opponent started spending his few low rank pieces in hope that I had an open flag. After that, he only had a general, two colonels and a lieutenant and then I began my attack towards his apparently open flag. After a while I managed to pass a captain and his general couldn t move or else I would reach his flag. With my general now being the most powerful piece at the center, I made room for a miner to move towards the opponent s flag from the other side. Instantly after I knew for sure that I could attack all his unmoved pieces with my miner - in case his flag wasn t the one piece I had suspected - I exchanged generals and one of his colonel s rushed to defence, yet unable to prevent my miner from hitting every piece at it s path (all bombs) and eventually capture his flag...

#84 OuweSok

OuweSok

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 6 days ago

The roeczak scenario is an interesting discussion in itself, when you are down to 3 pieces blocking all three lanes, in my opinion it should be ruled a draw. You should not be forced to retreat because you are "double chasing". You are in zugzwang and I find it unfair that you should be forced to retreat. His scenario is not exactly like that, but image a scenario of 3 superior pieces vs for example 5 minors.

imo chasing is not chasing if your alternative is to allow a piece to pass and capture your flag.

#85 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Sergeant

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 298 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 6 days ago

The roeczak scenario is an interesting discussion in itself, when you are down to 3 pieces blocking all three lanes, in my opinion it should be ruled a draw. You should not be forced to retreat because you are "double chasing". You are in zugzwang and I find it unfair that you should be forced to retreat. His scenario is not exactly like that, but image a scenario of 3 superior pieces vs for example 5 minors.

imo chasing is not chasing if your alternative is to allow a piece to pass and capture your flag.

Of course you are forced to retreat. The rules of the game do not make exceptions. The 2 square rule always applies, so does the rule about double chasing. If there was no rule against that, players could chase endlessly and make it a draw in all kinds of situations. If the only alternative is to let the piece pass, you just lose. 

• Don_Homer and Major Nelson like this

Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#86 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,925 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 5 days ago

I don't know if it is "most satisfying win" but definitely a funny one: I was matched against inil. After about 3 minutes of setup time he said in chat "oh no no no", then "not against you", then " never against you" ... then I asked "why?" and he surrendered. Not one minute later he was matched again against me, he wrote: "I said never" and surrendered again ... I don't know what I did to him but I like this kind of players ... why do top players like Hielco or Nortrom not react like this? :D  

• Major Nelson and KissMyCookie like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#87 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 5 days ago

I don't know if it is "most satisfying win" but definitely a funny one: I was matched against inil. After about 3 minutes of setup time he said in chat "oh no no no", then "not against you", then " never against you" ... then I asked "why?" and he surrendered. Not one minute later he was matched again against me, he wrote: "I said never" and surrendered again ... I don't know what I did to him but I like this kind of players ... why do top players like Hielco or Nortrom not react like this? :D  

Maybe he smelled all of that Singleton's on your breath.  :rolleyes:

He knew then that you were a marshal of discriminating taste.

Edited by KissMyCookie, 5 days ago.

#88 OuweSok

OuweSok

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 5 days ago

inil probably likes his games to be quick glorious massacres and not the long trench war he will get vs you
  • KissMyCookie likes this

#89 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 5 days ago

inil probably likes his games to be quick glorious massacres and not the long trench war he will get vs you

Isn't "inil" an alias for a player suspected of attempting to gain unfair advantage, or am I confusing this with someone else?

Apparently according to Roeczak, here are some alias accounts of this guy, and I quote Roeczak:

"...watch out for toof's other accounts : inil and anag with a greek flag who lotto."

Edited by KissMyCookie, 5 days ago.

#90 Godless

Godless

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 5 days ago

This wasn't recent but I can recall the most satisfaction I ever got from defeating a trash talker. I had my General in the last row on the opponent's side of the board and he was pursuing me with his Marshall. It appeared as if I was going to be cornered in.

The guy was messaging me telling me the Marshall was done for and I should just surrender. It wasn't severe trash talking just arrogance. 

Since I believed the Marshall couldn't escape I just started attacking random pieces hoping they weren't bombs. He kept messaging taunting that I was going to hit a bomb. I defeated 4 or of his pieces and attacked another that turned out to be his flag which he had no bombs surrounding. 

I wonder why he had no bombs around his flag. He didn't seem to be a newbie. 

Anyway I messaged him "lol" and nothing more. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users