KissMyCookie

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 4 days ago

Well, Moghedien, it was very good of you to offer your explanation–you did not owe anyone an explanation, but you have been generous to do so and you make a strong case for yourself. (Please keep reading as I have some comments further down).

Henry, although you admit to disconnecting on purpose and also offering an explanation as to why (which is also good of you), I must agree with Moghedien that 'admitting' to something, and 'apologizing' for something are two completely different things.

In all fairness, Henry offered his reason for disconnecting: he was upset and he wanted to express his nervous/frustrated state. As it is a typical behavior, the usual course of action is, for the person who is receiving the disconnect, to wait patiently for the victory sign AND/OR for his opponent's return. We all know that this happens, too. At least 25% of the disconnects I receive, the players come back and either disconnect again (they are waiting for their buffer to run out), or they actually continue gameplay again, or they actually (but rarely) surrender.

The word 'cheat' may not be the most appropriate one here because cheating suggests that he was intending to gain an advantage through deception. There is no proof of this–he could not possibly cheat his opponent unless the opponent walked away from their computer instead of waiting for the conclusion of the game–part of the gameplay is playing to the end of the match-the game is consummated with either the victory or defeat sign. Henry's behavior, on the other hand and by his own admission, was not an example of good sportsmanship. He may have acted in a manner that could have felt offensive, but it is not a clear case of cheating.

On the other side of the coin, I think many people here (myself included) will agree with you that lottoing and marshal blitzing are incredibly annoying, and sometimes can devastate even the most highly skilled of players. I despise this so-called style of gameplay, but The Prof once wrote that these techniques are (like them or not) a legitimate part of Stratego. The serious player learns to develop skills to deal with such an adverse strategy–it does not always work, but one simply learns to prepare for such an attack. Therefore, although I can appreciate the sincere logic of remaining totally anonymous for the sake of a good, clean match, with low risk of a lotto blitz, it would still be possible to have alerted Henry as to who you were, and then prepare for a lotto attack in your setup and your strategy for that specific match. I am not saying you were wrong (not at all)–I am offering that there were some choices available. A different choice may or may not have resulted in a disconnect...we will never know.

Serving up a huge platter of 'embarrassment' will not help this matter in any positive regard–may I suggest to those involved that a private message communication, and an apology (for less than gentlemanly and good sportsmanlike conduct), would truly serve both parties (and all of your Stratego friends and tournament buddies) very well. Naturally, neither one of you are obliged to interact or pay attention to the other so long as you choose...but...both of you do bring something GOOD to this game, and to the tournaments. In this context, of tournament play, this is why I have taken it upon myself to try to communicate with you both.

• Moghedien likes this

#62 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 4 days ago

Yesteeday i played a game vs dutchkillers ( one of his many aliases)
And the game was balanced( i had a little advantage )( - captain + lieutelant + sergeant but with my open flag i think that i was the favourite
In this moment my internt face problem and i had a disconnect ( of coursw not on puprpse and dont have a reason to do it)
When i rerurn i ask my opponent to tell me his pieces and he dint tell me
I guessed he had not a captain and lose my lieutenat stupidly
Even after that i tried to control the game and the game was a clear tie
Before accepting this we do 10 minutes back and forth just to annoy me( he could even risk because i had an open flag)
Thats a cheat and not a disconnect

#63 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 4 days ago

No, Henry, that is not a cheat...it is unfortunate. If you were on a computer, you could have taken a screenshot and preserved the statistics. Otherwise, welcome to the frustrating world of electronics technology.

#64 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 days ago

KissmyCookie, I respect your attempt to try and make something out of this. I really do. But Henry has no self reflection at all and keeps coming with all sorts of rebukes towards me. I was an unknown player to him at that point and he showed bad sportsmanship at the very least. I still think he was trying to cheat on me. I had a low buffer time left. I was waiting for the 2:30 minutes to expire and thinking about having myself a drink at that point. Had I walked away with him coming back into the game, I would have lost as I had only 30 seconds or so left. Trying to achieve that on his part is what I call cheating. I have seen nothing in his posts that make me believe he regrets doing this and will not ever do anymore in the future. He just comes up with some incident vs. Dutchkillers which is completely beside the point. Furthermore, I know Dutchkillers for a decent and friendly player so forgive me if I do not believe that story of Henry. So I cannot accept any peacemaking at this point, I am sorry. He remains a cheat to me. Again, I appreciate your effort in this KissmyCookie.

I will play Henry when I meet him in tournaments or in ranked games because I must, but I will not exchange words with him in chats or posts. I do not talk to cheats.
  • KissMyCookie likes this

#65 johannnes

johannnes

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 4 days ago

I have to correct myself :). Just played a Platinum player (quite awkward matchmaking for him) and i tested a new setup with second row open flag and a very unorthodox bomb placement :D. Getting behind by scouting with lieutnants captains etc and trading the previously scouted pieces (why would you do that?) he decided to lotto a little bit. So he ran in all 6 of my bombs with his col, gen, some maj, some captains.... I have to admit that i got a bit cocky and told him that he found all my bombs now :P (Sorry for that, it was neverthenless a nice game). Seing how such a funny bombplacement could work was a really nice experience :). In general every game i win against a platinum player is a nice experience :).

for those, who want to know:

b.........................b x x x            before you say this setup is stupid: It works with my positioning of marsh gen spy col

b..................................b           etc.

4 x b..............................           (but i have to admit i have only played it for a few times now, mostly against lower 

b x x .............................            ranked opponents.)

Edited by johannnes, 4 days ago.

#66 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 days ago

I was an unknown player to him at that point 

Then you should have said in the BattleChat who you were before the game started

#67 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 days ago

Lotto is part of the game, Moghedian. Cowering behind an unknown alias (to Henry) because you don't want to get lottoed isn't the solution to the problem. And it's not very sportive either. I recommend you adapt your setups to be more lottoproof if you suspect your opponent will charge in. 

#68 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 3 days ago

Then you should have said in the BattleChat who you were before the game started

With hindsight I agree with you on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users