General Rascal

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

Can you recall your most satisfying win? For me, a satisfying win comes in one of three categories:

- come from behind

- beating a trash-talker

- coming from behind to beat a trash-talker (this is the most satisfying)

I bring this up because I had a game yesterday with a known trash-talker. Early in the game he gets lucky and scouts my spy. Right after that move he chats: lol, gg. We all know that chatting "gg" early in a game when you get the upper hand is low class behavior. Anyway, I end up beating the guy and right before I defuse his bomb to capture his flag, I chat: lol (forgive me I could not help myself). He chats back, "I misclicked twice, this is why I lost." To me, this was a very satisfying win.

Edited by General Rascal, 21 June 2017 - 02:32 AM.

#2 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

I had a win a few weeks ago against a trashtalk lottoer which was from behind :D

In the setup phase I typed "Good luck and have fun" and we started... he came in lottoed with his marshal into my colonel and major, hadn't even moved, front row marsh, and types, "another philosopher down the drain... gg, idiot".  But he runs right into a bomb 3 turns later, and I bluff my marshal as general, and his general attacks it. He runs down the buffer and then disconnects.

• General Rascal likes this
I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#3 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

When you ask your opponent for a draw and they say no.  Then you ask again for a draw and they still say no.  Then you beat them.  That's always a sweet victory.

• GaryLShelton, johannnes, --Wogomite-- and 6 others like this

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,267 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Well, then there's the opposite story. I got a little cocky after spying Mr. Bond's marshal that I wrote to him "That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six." Then I proceeded to blow my lead and lose. I must have had the wrong movie. :)
  • General Rascal likes this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 General Rascal

General Rascal

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:31 AM

Well, then there's the opposite story. I got a little cocky after spying Mr. Bond's marshal that I wrote to him "That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six." Then I proceeded to blow my lead and lose. I must have had the wrong movie. :)

You should have know that Mr. Bond carries a Wather PPK which has 7 in the mag and one in the breech

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,267 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

You should have know that Mr. Bond carries a Wather PPK which has 7 in the mag and one in the breech

Yes, of course, I forgot. That was the bad guy in From Russia with Love. There you go. If I'd had my facts straight, I wouldn't have been caught off guard. :D
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#7 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Anytime a blitzer gets some fortunate captures, I get pretty frustrated. If they make enough mistakes for me to come back and win, those feel nice and more importantly reassure me that lotto is not a good strategy. The times where they don't make enough mistakes for me to come back and win, I do briefly consider converting to the blitz!

Also any close game, win or lose, with someone ranked much higher feels nice. I still remember my very first game against a platinum player - I was a low silver at the time (though I was working through the ranks and wasn't sure of my true level), and we had a close game that lasted over an hour. I ended up losing, but was really happy with the game given the huge ranking difference.

• johannnes likes this

#8 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

My most satisfying win is yet to come!!!!!

And there is no lotto.  Don't like being attacked then take up something like knitting.

• Unladen Swallow likes this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#9 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

My most satisfying win is yet to come!!!!!

And there is no lotto.  Don't like being attacked then take up something like knitting.

If you like aggression without intellect, take up cage fighting ;)

#10 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 908 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

The most satisfying is to beat top players when you think you will probably lose. 

Especially Nortrom :D

First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

#11 blackboard

blackboard

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

I think beating a top player is up there with beating a low class idiot who trash talks after going ahead before choking. Occasionally you get a very good player is also a talker so that's doubly satisfying. Even more satisfying than that is when I let them know about it (I too can't resist but have the final say!) and they actually start grovelling a bit. I've had this 2 or 3 times where silver level players who talk or insinuate that they think they've won after maybe capturing the marshal actually show genuine remorse. I explain to them that they need to respect platinum players more and understand that one of the reasons we get to that level is the ability to win from behind. To actually see them learn a lesson and take it on board so they won't behave like that again is very satisfying. :)

#12 blackboard

blackboard

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Oh yeah another satisfying win is in a close game when you get to their flag as they're closing in on yours, and you get there first by 1 square. There's nothing like a photo finish that goes your way!

Edited by blackboard, 01 April 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#13 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

Oh yeah another satisfying win is in a close game when you get to their flag as they're closing in on yours, and you get there first by 1 square. There's nothing like a photo finish that goes your way!

True true, I remember my game against you ending like this - got your flag with your miner right beside mine :)

That was satisfying indeed!

#14 General Rascal

General Rascal

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

Wins in tournament play are also very satisfying. For me those game are very stressful and when I, occationally, get the win I feel a great sense of relief and satisfaction.

• Dobby125 likes this

#15 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

Wins in tournament play are also very satisfying. For me those game are very stressful and when I, occationally, get the win I feel a great sense of relief and satisfaction.

I never played in a Stratego tournament, but I did play once in a big foosball tournament.  It's so much fun when you win those tournament games.

#16 Dzonii

Dzonii

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Beating the guy who just move one,two pieces back and forward and waits you to attack(thats not sport play)

and beating someone who stick pieces to yours and tells you to attack or he will report you. (lol)

best felling to win against these people.

oh and vs lotto people, who just go without brain and give you good damage, (5 year old kid can play like that and win) but you still manage to back up and win  :)

#17 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,267 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

I never played in a Stratego tournament, ....

Join in on one, Dobby125! You've been around here off and on for years and are obviously a league past average intelligence. Stay awhile and play and you'll be gold before you know it. And enjoy a tournament or two along the way.

#18 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Had an extremely satisfying win only moments ago. I had a marshal, two minors, and a scout, of which none had moved. My opponent had an open flag and had his marshal, general, both colonels, 2 majors, and 3 captains. We danced around the lake with our marshals for quite some time, over 20 minutes, and he refused two draw proposals. However, he calculated the amount of spaces he needed to move his marshal to block mine from getting his open flag incorrectly, and I won.

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#19 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,953 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Yesterday i had a game where my opponent had 1 col 1 sergeant 1 scout known + 2 unknown unmoved miners i was left with 1 col and 1 miner and his flag was obviously open (same as mine). By some miracle i was able to bring both my col and my miner through the middle in his field. His sergeant and col were both behind me in my field. My only chance was to lotto with these last 2 pieces but i had 9 unmoved pieces in front of me. So i started lotto my col on a last row piece on the right ... boom! ... i went on the left with my miner, passing in front of un unmoved piece on 2nd row to reach the one that was in diagonal of it on the right on last row ... bingo i got the flag! ... at this moment i was left with one miner alone against 5 movable pieces ... this is very satisfying ...

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#20 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,267 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Those are very long odds Napoleon!

Tonight I had a game which is a good lesson on never giving up. My opponent had a major and a colonel and miner and six unsure bombs against my two captains and miner and a sergeant. His flag was open, mine bombed. I got to thinking he would trap my captains one by one and it looked like he was on the way to do that. I actually had the surrender screen up and I was hovering over the surrender button but did not actually push it. Came very close. Then on the very next move he blows up his Colonel on one of my bombs and I'm back in the game! Now I've got a lead because I have three smaller pieces plus a miner against his major and his miner. And I know where his miner is and I've got it blocked off. A couple moves after he blows up his Colonel, he surrenders! Never give up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users