#21 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

An alternative option is just to take the gen with marsh (with your gen immediately behind) and smash into the cluster of colonels and majors who are probably all squeezed up next to each other waiting to be munched.
  • Fairway and White_House like this

#22 White_House

White_House

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Of course! The lotto approach is successful too, especially against that type of player. :)

Edited by White_House, 20 March 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#23 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

An alternative option is just to take the gen with marsh (with your gen immediately behind) and smash into the cluster of colonels and majors who are probably all squeezed up next to each other waiting to be munched.

When you say gen immediately behind, do you actually mean immediately, and that you'd lotto here for 3s and 4s?

Usually I found with the blitzers that they don't really move pieces where their gen is, so wouldn't you want to throw around some scouting pieces before the gen? Maybe 'lotto'ing with a cap, for example?

#24 White_House

White_House

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

It's a risky strategy, but it is one that is effective against blitzers. I am happy to lotto someone who plays like this. Others may not be as comfortable doing so. 

I would only recommend the lotto strategy if you are not behind too much:

-if you are already down a major, for example, I would not advocate this

-if you are only down 2 lieutenants and a sergeant, then charge in! No mercy! ;)

Edited by White_House, 20 March 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#25 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

When you say gen immediately behind, do you actually mean immediately, and that you'd lotto here for 3s and 4s?

Usually I found with the blitzers that they don't really move pieces where their gen is, so wouldn't you want to throw around some scouting pieces before the gen? Maybe 'lotto'ing with a cap, for example?

The attack they are describing is when a Marshal and Colonel(sometimes Major) attacks along 1 side.  It doesn't have to be a lotto attack.  They use scouts and miners to help the advance.  The other side of the board is usually bombed off.  The middle can also be bombed off.  Usually, the middle has 1 bomb on the top row and a General on top guarded by a spy and colonel as backup.  If you can take the general and colonel by swapping, you usually can get through with a 2nd colonel and start taking lots of good pieces(unless the side attacking colonel gets back in time.  Sometimes this can be difficult to do depending on your setup.  Your colonels and general might be very far apart.  That's what your opponent counts on happening.  In this case, it makes sense to do exactly what TheOptician advises.  I now do that almost all the time(except if my flag is on the same side as the attack and my spy is on the other side of the board). You simply sacrifice the Marshal for their General and follow up attacking with your General.  Most of the time, they use all of their bombs on the far side to bog you down.  Usually, their flag is wide open with no bombs around.  All of their good pieces are waiting to be killed by your general. Most of the time you can lotto that side of the board where the Marshal started the attack.  Is it really a "lotto" if you figured out where all of their bombs are?  I usually only attack the pieces that have moved and move scouts or sergeants into the area just in case. Sometimes they get scared and help you out by moving pieces.  The smart players that use this tactic might have 1 bomb hidden in that area.  Some also might have a closed flag in the corner.  I'll see if I have some game videos of this fairly common tactic. 

I would not waste time attacking the far side.  They usually don't have many valuable pieces there, mainly sergeants to kill miners, lots of scouts and bombs.  You waste too much time.

#26 White_House

White_House

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

I would not waste time attacking the far side.  They usually don't have many valuable pieces there, mainly sergeants to kill miners, lots of scouts and bombs.  You waste too much time.

The idea is to find bombs and clean out that side of the board. Then you want to squeeze your opponent and approach from the front and back.

http://imgur.com/a/lD8aF

I made a diagram to explain it. Eventually you will have enough information (e.g. 5 bombs known) to make a strong calculated attack without as much risk as the aforementioned lotto strategy. As Dobby mentioned, it is a slower method of attack but it is more successful.

It depends on where your pieces are. Against a blitzer, you should make a defensive setup to minimize the amount of damage a reckless player can achieve. 

Edited by White_House, 21 March 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#27 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all of these tips guys,I hope I can make use of them going forward. I think understanding the 2 square rule properly and making use of it with attacks,will really take me up a level too. I seem to be ok defending against it,but need to now be aware and plan attacks with it. Glad everyone is enjoying what I'm doing though & thanks again.

#28 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for all of these tips guys,I hope I can make use of them going forward. I think understanding the 2 square rule properly and making use of it with attacks,will really take me up a level too. I seem to be ok defending against it,but need to now be aware and plan attacks with it. Glad everyone is enjoying what I'm doing though & thanks again.

Happy to show you 2 square in a friendly game if you want to add me -

#29 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Ok despy,we can look to do that sure...I think we have to see each other in a chat on the game,to be able to add each other,but let me know if that's not the case..I'm busy at the moment anyway,so can't play any games for a while. But look out for me and add me when we get the chance.

#30 despy

despy

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Ok despy,we can look to do that sure...I think we have to see each other in a chat on the game,to be able to add each other,but let me know if that's not the case..I'm busy at the moment anyway,so can't play any games for a while. But look out for me and add me when we get the chance.

Go to 'messages' and you'll see my invite :)

#31 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Ok,I'll have a look when I next log on to the game....or do you mean here somewhere?

I've actually uploaded a vid today,which coincidentally deals with a Marshall blitzer and the General defense issue that has been spoken about above. Check it out and see what you think. I think I did reasonably well.
  • evenseass likes this

#32 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,250 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:52 AM

Hi Bob,

I like to comment on mistakes/good plays of games, and I watched game 1, so here is some:

9:28- Both of those pieces had previously run away from your major, go ahead and move between them to take 1.

I think in general you're also a bit to giving with your 5s. They are very valuable in the endgame.

9:45 - Not sure what the gameplan is doing here, he has discovered both of those and will most likely take his col to take one.

10:24- Just 2-square his scout so he can't discover your minor. Just move back and forth with the scout in accordance to your major, and he will eventually get the message, "you cannot move the same piece over and over again into the same places" or something along those lines. As a bronze player, though, it is good to see that you understand the concept of bluffing. Most bronze players do not.

14:00- You know where his general and col is, but you aren't taking advantage of it. BLuff with your colonel to scare his col away, then advance with your major and minor while you hold him off. 

14:08-14:15- Should've moved the major up at 14:08, then minor over.

14:18- SHould've moved down with your col, instead of over, now you have to take the sarge of let your gen be discovered.

15:24- Excellent choice.

16:24- Just come around with your general and take his colonel with the 2 square rule on the right side. Unless he's bluffing, that's his spy behind it, less than 3% chance I'd say his marshal is also behind the colonel.

16:47- I was right-- that's also terrible play on his part. Excellent info for just a capt. Take advantage of it, now!!

17:00 - His minor literally just took your scout less than 20 seconds ago and hadn't moved since. 

18:15- BE MORE AGGRESSIVE WITH YOUR 9!!! Go over there and take his col!!

18:46- Excellent play! Now's your chance! Now bluff your colonel as your marshal and move up the left side, then put pressure in the middle with your marshal and get his col!

20:30- Excellent Thinking.

21:47- Now move up with your spy on the left flank and draw his marshal there, and then you can take him if he moves next to her.

24:47- I was wondering what you were saying when you said "that's probably a low-ranked piece  :huh:

25:35- Bluff your scout on the far side as your 2nd col, and lotto with the other one. That's your only chance now.

26:51- 3 bombs in a row? Unexpected for a low lever player. Although you might've seen it coming when he didn't bother moving his other col over there. At least you know 4 bombs now, see if you can lotto with your other col.

27:37- You already discovered that, too. I think your memory just might be worse than mine  <_<

28:04- gg

29:32- That's all 6 bombs. Everything else can move.

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#33 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Thanks fairway,I'll go back and have a proper check of everything you've pointed out. But I had a quick recap of that game & realised early,that I was much worse with concentration when I started up the videos. I do seem to be getting better thankfully and I'm trying to eliminate any habit of careless mistakes.
  • Fairway likes this

#34 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thanks to everyone who has tuned in so far. I'll be looking to do some more streams tonight,so look out for them,it would be great to get some tips as I play..Thanks

• evenseass likes this

#35 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Hi everyone,just wanted to confirm, the streams will be going live at random times all night, from 8pm GMT Sunday (today) to 7am GMT Monday. Basically anytime I get some quiet periods during those times. But there will definitely be several.

#36 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hi everyone, just to let you know,I'll be doing a series of streams,everyday this week (Mon-Fri) from midnight GMT to 7am. They should automatically go up as saved videos after,for anyone unable to tune in live. 

Many thanks for everyone who has watched,subbed and commented so far. I'll look forward to all interaction as I continue.

#37 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hi everyone, I've been away for a while,but am hoping to do several live streams tonight from &pm GMT right through to &am GMT,tonight (sat) and tomorrow. Hope to see you all in the chat. Many thanks.

• Dobby125 and Unladen Swallow like this

#38 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Should be 7pm-7am GMT guys,sorry must of pressed shift haha

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#39 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hi everyone.

I'll be doing some streams over the next 7hrs. Starting with the 1st in the next half hour.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks

#40 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Hello again everyone. 

Just a note to say I'll be streaming gameplay live again tonight, at random times during the hours of midnight GMT - 7am GMT.

Thanks to everyone who joined me yesterday & I hope to see you all again tonight. 

I'm hoping to break into Gold rankings during my sessions tonight,so it would be great to hear from you as I play and if I can keep my concentration,I should have a decent chance to do it.

Looking forward to seeing you all later.

Thanks

(Channel link)

https://www.youtube...._63AD0lBa2utG1w

• Dobby125, JCalla5373 and Unladen Swallow like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users