Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I've started up a Youtube channel,to share my games with my commentary,for all fans of the game.

It would be great to hear from you all & please subscribe.

https://www.youtube...._63AD0lBa2utG1w

• Dobby125, tobermoryx, Major Nelson and 1 other like this

#2 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

If I am to comment on one thing, it's your accent and your pronunciation "Strate-JO". I've not heard it being pronounced like that before :)

I will watch some more of the videos tomorrow evening. 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#3 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:55 AM

Haha Hi Sevenseas,I've seen you on Silverhammer's channel. Yeah I guess that's going to be one of my quirks going forward. Thanks for the comment. We must play a game sometime.

• sevenseas likes this

#4 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:09 AM

Yes, we shall play a game sometimes. Great to see more people provide commentary. I enjoy hearing one's thinking during the game.

I am available on weekday evenings 19:00-24:00 (GB time, I'm british too!)  :)

#5 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:12 AM

Ok excellent. I'll send a message here when I'm free during those times & hopefully we can match up. Is that GMT?

#6 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

Yes that's GMT. I will send you a friend request

#7 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:26 AM

ok great. I'll look out for it.

#8 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

I watched this game.

https://www.youtube....h?v=P7VDrb5yczM

Ughh!  You had it won.  All you had to do was trap his 2nd colonel and he probably surrenders. Hitting the same bomb with a General and a Colonel is bad.  Very bad!  Your memory is worse than mine.  I think you need to slow down your game play and concentrate a little bit more.  You also need to think more than a few moves ahead so your pieces don't get trapped.  It's probably hard to do when you're doing commentary on the games though.  I also like it when players do commentary on their youtube videos.  

The game wasn't over when you lost your General.  You should have sacrificed your colonel and started attacking with your marshal and colonel since you knew where his spy was located.  Your aggressive play with the majors was fine, since you got valuable information, but you then have to get your high pieces in position to act on that information.  Anyway, keep on making those videos.  I'm sure you'll get much, much better.  Just slow down after each move.  And don't hit the same bomb twice! :)  

Edited by Dobby125, 17 March 2017 - 09:36 PM.

• groundbob and evenseass like this

#9 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Arghhh I know! Without doubt my worst game ever! Don't know where my mind was. I think I was thinking of the previous game.

Thanks for your words though and I'll try & take on board what you said.

Yes,the commentary is something I'm still getting used to & how to find a balance with concentrating. Haha.

Glad it's entertaining none the less & yeah hopefully I'll get better.

#10 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Arghhh I know! Without doubt my worst game ever! Don't know where my mind was. I think I was thinking of the previous game.

Yup, when you quickly play many games back to back, you can easily lose track of bombs or whether or not pieces have moved thinking of the previous games.   I hate it when I waste 2 scouts on the same piece in a game.  It's just lack of concentration.  

I've only watched a few of your videos so far, but I think this game was your worst loss. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=Osdxalyatsw

When you're up a general and 2 colonels, you're supposed to win.  :D

The key move was at  17.58.  Never let them get by you when you know they are going to lotto and you have an open flag.  You had a 2nd chance at 18.12 to stop him by moving down instead of to the right.  That was a painful way to lose.

Edited by Dobby125, 17 March 2017 - 11:45 PM.

• groundbob likes this

#11 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

Absolutely, the back to back games and being slightly distracted with the commentary doesn't help.

But you are right,I remember that game now! Totally tragic to watch it slip through my fingers due to another careless error.

#12 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Captain

• Moderators
  • 863 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

With that game i don't think it is the right conclusion to say your set up cost you the game and that you need switch to having bombed in flag.

Your set up worked out ok i think as he lottod a Colonel and General onto bombs and from that point , as Dobby says , the only way he can win is by lottoing his Marshal but you can guarantee to prevent it by blocking him with yours .

• groundbob likes this

#13 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

Yeah I you're right there,as everything was more than fine up to that point ,when the Marshall was allowed free passage.

I've had a couple of great wins today, which are being uploaded now,so I'm definitely improving and learning from my mistakes. Although I do still make a couple in both games.

#14 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

Yeah I you're right there,as everything was more than fine up to that point ,when the Marshall was allowed free passage.

I've had a couple of great wins today, which are being uploaded now,so I'm definitely improving and learning from my mistakes. Although I do still make a couple in both games.

You're doing better since you've slowed down your play.  It's nice to see you making escape lanes for your colonels.  Keep your spy covered.  I gave your videos 2 thumbs up for your wins.

• MTinsley and groundbob like this

#15 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:33 AM

Yeah,just that little pause and extra thought about a plan,before going ahead with anything, has helped in key moments.

Double thanks,for the tip and thumbs up.

• MTinsley likes this

#16 White_House

White_House

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Nice videos, thank you for posting these. It is a good learning tool

• groundbob likes this

#17 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

Bob, here's another tip that I think will help you get to the next several levels. As soon as you reveal your opponents Marshal, you need to think about counter attacking with your General and following up with your colonels as quickly as possible.  If your opponent hasn't moved many pieces, start using your scouts and sergeants to find targets for your General to attack.  And as soon as your marshal gets revealed, you need to immediately think about how to protect yourself from an impending General attack.  All the pieces that have moved are now vulnerable targets and need to be protected.  So make sure your colonels, major and captains, that have moved, have escape lanes.  

Many time, marshal reveals are the most pivotal moment in the game.  You might want to take extra time to think about what moves to make when that happens.  It really should be in the back of your mind the whole game.  And if you think you know where your opponents Marshal is, don't try to reveal it right away.  Move your General, Colonel and scouts and get ready for a counter attack once you decide you reveal your opponents Marshal. 

• groundbob likes this

#18 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for that advice Dobby & I agree. I need to be more aware about the plan of action after revealing those big pieces.

#19 groundbob

groundbob

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Thanks white_house,glad you are enjoying the videos and that I'm able to provide some help to others.

#20 White_House

White_House

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

Bob, here's another tip that I think will help you get to the next several levels. As soon as you reveal your opponents Marshal, you need to think about counter attacking with your General and following up with your colonels as quickly as possible.  If your opponent hasn't moved many pieces, start using your scouts and sergeants to find targets for your General to attack.  

I disagree. This is bad advice. 

Most Marshal blitzers are ready for the immediate general charge. They design their setup to defend against this. Marshal attacks on one of the flanks, while general, colonels, majors and spy guard the middle. If you charge your general once your opponent's Marshal is known, you will only snag a lieutenant at most before the inevitable exchange. 

Only attack with general if you can get a good piece for it (captain or better).

I think it is better to attack the opposite side to where the opponent's Marshal attacked. Use your scouts, sergeants, lieutenants and miners. Find your opponent's bombs. Clean out your opponent's weak side and squeeze your opponent on their side of the board. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users