Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

This is a continuation from the topic: http://forum.strateg...4?hl=alias wars

Tables are constructed by firstly finding the undefeated account with the highest ELO. The next player in the table is the account with the next least losses (providing ELO is higher than the previous player). The process continues until there are no more players to add, then the process is repeated for the next set of players.

The majority of these accounts will clearly be aliases, but some are main accounts. Accounts with 40 losses or more are not considered, and known duplicates have been removed.

To get on the table you need to have a 'better record' than any of the players listed.

There has been talk of an Alias Cup later on this year. If so, these are the players to watch. However, aliases will likely be worried about blemishing their records, so low participation is expected...

jwSqArt.jpg

#2 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

Almost all of those have been dormant for a long time , some of them 3 years.

Which ones would you say are not aliases ? I would have thought all of them are.

#3 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

flieger_olaf and regurgitate are not alises. All the others are

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#4 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,257 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

flieger_olaf and regurgitate are not alises. All the others are

I think I heard that regurgitate migrated from meta. Did flieger_olaf do the same?

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#5 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

hunter77, monomaxa and warriorrsss is about same group of alias, pd3a and soonnumber1 is the same alias. Rattlesnake., game over, mustique, simplythe best, regurgitate and mental handicap can be removed as they have not played a game since more than one year. If you remove those players what is the ranking then? Why are they nobody with 1 loss only?

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#6 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

Why are we promoting aliases by showcasing those with the best records?  I think most everyone is in agreement that this site would be much better without aliases, so a topic such as this seems counterproductive.  A good player without an alias might have just received the motivation he needed to create one and see how good a record he could achieve.  Remember, whenever someone does this, he unfairly takes rating points from all his opponents until his rating reaches his true skill level.

• Lonello, Master Mind and MTinsley like this

#7 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

Just guessing but aside from making a point Theo's intent is mockery. Hopefully. Because he's a funny guy and this is his kind of humor. Irony and sarcasm. Never heard of that myself by the way.

Lo

#8 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Almost all of those have been dormant for a long time , some of them 3 years.

Which ones would you say are not aliases ? I would have thought all of them are.

Only 10 names in the above list have not had a change in statistics from last time (April 2016)

#9 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

hunter77, monomaxa and warriorrsss is about same group of alias, pd3a and soonnumber1 is the same alias. Rattlesnake., game over, mustique, simplythe best, regurgitate and mental handicap can be removed as they have not played a game since more than one year. If you remove those players what is the ranking then? Why are they nobody with 1 loss only?

I don't personally have confirmation that there are any duplicates in the list. Have you personally had confirmation regarding hunter/monomaxa/warriors and pd3a/soonnumberone (or is it speculative?)

Whether the accounts are active or not, they still have the best records - it is not a criteria to be active to feature on Talent Wars.

There is no-one with 1 loss just because that is the way it worked out.

#10 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Why are we promoting aliases by showcasing those with the best records? I think most everyone is in agreement that this site would be much better without aliases, so a topic such as this seems counterproductive. A good player without an alias might have just received the motivation he needed to create one and see how good a record he could achieve. Remember, whenever someone does this, he unfairly takes rating points from all his opponents until his rating reaches his true skill level.

This is true that aliases distort the true rankings. But I think everyone on this site has accepted that a non-distorted leaderboard is not (perhaps even ever) a likely reality.

Even alias haters must accept that being a great alias actually tests a slightly different skill to normal gameplay. Consider when you first play an opponent you haven't met before - neither player knows each other. Next time you meet you both know something - the game is slightly different. A great alias is a master of the first meeting. Some players may thrive when none of their tactics are known to their opponent (and vice versa), yet struggle once they become known. Considered in this light, perhaps there is a skill that aliases require, worthy of a silly table in the forum.

Perhaps there is some value in an alias cup - a competition where everyone is an unknown quantity. A slightly different test. Maybe you are more likely to beat eg Nortrom if you don't know who he is - or maybe not.

It's just a bit of fun - it's not meant to be a calling to aliases everywhere to get on this list!

#11 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I feel very strongly regarding the idea of aliases. I don't like them. I wish that the site administrators would put effort into controlling the problem but it is not happening. I do not think TheOs cool idea of posting the best is something to take out on him though. It's not his fault the administrators have failed to monitor this and I will say there are some cool aspects to aliases. The Optician hit the nail on the head when he said this

Even alias haters must accept that being a great alias actually tests a slightly different skill to normal gameplay. Consider when you first play an opponent you haven't met before - neither player knows each other. Next time you meet you both know something - the game is slightly different. A great alias is a master of the first meeting. Some players may thrive when none of their tactics are known to their opponent (and vice versa), yet struggle once they become known. Considered in this light, perhaps there is a skill that aliases require, worthy of a silly table in the forum.

I do not like the fact that people take advantage of being able to have an alias. Scouting and having 550 points and only 55% to take down people with higher elo to me is immature and makes aliases stupid. I have played countless matches of a high rank player that has exploited a glitch that allows you to switch and catch a same player after changing to a lower ranked account. Although it is extremely annoying, I do think that unless the infiltrators are stopped from having their fun, the non-offenders should not be discouraged from having theirs. It's the same idea of banning gun laws, the good guys are now left to not defend themselves. 

If I want to play two or three games, I either have to sit and wait for a good amount of time to ditch a potential alias troll, or switch to one myself just to have some peace and quite with an honest game. Sorry, but I am not into allowing for that alias lotto crap because I played two games back to back on the same account.

Would an idea like Talent Wars encourage the alias trolls to play with an account that shows his opponent an accurate skill level instead??? In that case, would we not want to promote this as a means to distract the criminals from mischief behavior? Banning a player from talent wars with a single strike of any abusive behavior would be incentive for good behavior. 

Pd3a is Sohal by the way. http://forum.strateg...user/302-sohal/

Which if I may add that none of the current top fifteen names in stratego.com elo are with out an alias. 

• texaspete09 likes this

#12 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

I feel very strongly regarding the idea of aliases. I don't like them. I wish that the site administrators would put effort into controlling the problem but it is not happening. I do not think TheOs cool idea of posting the best is something to take out on him though. It's not his fault the administrators have failed to monitor this and I will say there are some cool aspects to aliases. The Optician hit the nail on the head when he said this

You have dozens of aliases so get off you soapbox.

• sevenseas likes this
3 - 0

#13 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

You have dozens of aliases so get off you soapbox.

I sure do astros...did you not read a thing I said?

Are you implying you do not have aliases? I rarely meet anyone without an alias but why should the guys not exploiting and manipulating flaws in the system be a reason honest people get punished for doing the same thing but with integrity. That is all I was saying. 

I support The Opticians Talent Wars....is that more clear?

lol...oh astros, I miss you as a co-committee member. 

I hope things are well for you over there on TC :)

#14 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,364 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

People with aliases complaining about aliases is one of the most consistently amusing things on this forum  :D

• don mitsos and sevenseas like this

#15 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

If I could vote on a decision by administration to abolish aliases I would. Until the day we can abolish them completely, I will enjoy using them without trolling others. 

• texaspete09 likes this

#16 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

If I want to play two or three games, I either have to sit and wait for a good amount of time to ditch a potential alias troll, or switch to one myself just to have some peace and quite with an honest game. Sorry, but I am not into allowing for that alias lotto crap because I played two games back to back on the same account.

Or you can merely change your setup. It is difficult to consistently be fresh with new setup ideas.

However, what I do is swap key piece positions and put a bomb where my unprotected col/major was last game. The trick is to keep the front row nearly the same so the cheater thinks one has the same setup. 

The cheaters are easy to spot: Low platinum, less than 300 games, win percentage around 60-70%.

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#17 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,257 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:51 PM

Or you can merely change your setup. It is difficult to consistently be fresh with new setup ideas.

However, what I do is swap key piece positions and put a bomb where my unprotected col/major was last game. The trick is to keep the front row nearly the same so the cheater thinks one has the same setup. 

The cheaters are easy to spot: Low platinum, less than 300 games, win percentage around 60-70%.

Two days ago, after waiting about 10 minutes, I got matched up with a 762 ELO player, about 85-24 if I remember, on my other

account, and he had NO IDEA whatsoever to do, it was so hilarious. He wasted his scouts like crazy, and then began to rush in with his marshal and general when he found my colonels. Of course the appropriate pieces were behind each, and he didn't capitalize on the exchange. :D He played like a high/mid silver player. I wish I'd remember his name, but I played one too many QA to find him under my Recently Played.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#18 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:37 AM

I do not have an alias.  I believe if you want things to change, you should lead by example.

• Lonello and MTinsley like this

#19 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

Hear hear!

Lo

#20 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

I think you forgot me. All my aliases are on top. Conqueror-Gr , GREECE , PSYCHOPATH ... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users