Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:00 PM
Massive thanks to the organisers of the International Patras Battles 2019 - and of course congratulations to John Vandoros for the 🏆
The tournament was extremely efficient (results were processed instantaneously and displayed on multiple screens), the venue was fantastic (very spacious - it could probably accommodate closer to 100) and the location was perfect (two minutes from the sea front within a modern shopping mall with very quick access to essential coffee and food).
The tournament is also a sign of things to come as new technology was employed with the use of the Strategeiras app.
One of the best parts (aside from beating Fks) as always is meeting players in the flesh who I only knew online before (Somali pirate, andreas94,
Vasileios Nyxtas) and some who I didn’t know at all - The friendliness of all involved contributes to a great experience. As one of the international players I was truly made to feel welcomed - as I was two years ago.
A few highlights (in no particular order)
1. Fks (Angel) dropping his entire set of pieces on the floor whilst trying to take a photo with only 3 minutes of set-up time left
2. In my first live game with Nortrom (Pim) he points to my pieces and tells me ‘This (unknown) is a scout, this (unknown, unmoved) is your marshal, this (unknown, unmoved) is your spy.
3. Souvlaki. I even prefer this to Marmite
4. The players dinner. Wind down time (including beers) and massive plates of mixed grill (about 8 too many plates actually...)
5. The road trip from Athens to Patras - mountains (sometimes snowy) to our left, deep blue sea to our right. Shame about the chauffeur (KARAISKAKIS/Greg) for some interesting driving - perhaps his mind was on Stratego as he was blocking multiple lanes at the same time.
KARAISKAKIS, Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er and 9 others like this