Photo

Gravon vs Stratego

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Gravon or Stratego? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Gravon or Stratego?

1. Gravon (11 votes [32.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

2. Stratego (18 votes [52.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. Same (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

4. Other/Dont know (2 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

Which do you like better?

and why?

I tried to register for an account but didnt get the email confirmation

I have no idea what that thing under my avatar is. I've always liked stickers

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,305 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:59 AM

There's a lot to be said for Gravon for features. I especially like the free arrangement feature! It's the absolute best way to test things. I wish this one feature were added here. There are also a lot of good players who play at Gravon. On my first day there I got to play Sohal. I wouldn't have had that opportunity here for a while.

I got used to playing at Gravon but the clicking after each move is a big weird thing at first. That feature should prevent one from missing the rank of a piece of the opponent. Although I did get used to it, I found it more annoying than helpful. My opinion.

Of course you can watch games there and that's interesting.

The programming is closer to the ISF at Gravon than here except for the ISF 10.2 (Two Squares Rule for scouts) which is programmed wrongly at Gravon while correct here at stratego.com.

The above said, I like it better here. I'm used to the feel of things here and that's worth a lot. The new app makes me question that, yes, but I'll still go with here most of the time. Nevertheless, Gravon is an experience everyone can benefit from. It's a different critter over there.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

Pros of Gravon: Better players (no bronze players really), better picture, (no music, helps me focus more)

Pros of Stratego.com: Lower players (so I can have a couple wins), ALOT MORE PEOPLE

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#4 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,193 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

Pros of Gravon: Better players (no bronze players really), better picture, (no music, helps me focus more)

Pros of Stratego.com: Lower players (so I can have a couple wins), ALOT MORE PEOPLE

You can delete the music if you want

• Moriarty likes this

#5 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

Gravon : no chasers                                                    Stratego.com : chasers

Gravon : no stallers                                                     Stratego.com : stallers

Gravon : no rude behaviour                                        Stratego.com : rude behaviour

Gravon : you can choose your opponent                    Stratego.com : you can't

Gravon : you can watch games                                   Stratego.com : you can't

Gravon : bronstein clock                                             Stratego.com : good luck against a draw refusal or a chaser

Gravon : no aliases                                                     Stratego.com : lol

Gravon : free                                                               Stratego.com : have to pay (record set up, euro pieces,.....)

Gravon : you can join a game in 2s                            Stratego.com : sometimes it takes 15' if you have a high ELO

Gravon : you can chat with many players                   Stratego.com : you can chat one player at a time

Gravon : no shitty animation                                       Stratego.com : child animation

Gravon : you can watch games                                  Stratego.com : you can't

Gravon : rankings are adequate                                 Stratego.com : some players are moving +/- 500 ELO points a month

stratego.com : many players (are they so many?)      gravon : not a lot of players, but good ones

• Don_Homer, Roondy Moose, cflag and 3 others like this

#6 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

You can delete the music if you want

Well yeah, but I'm just sayin'

#7 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Yes I did forget, Gravon has clocks, ect to prevent double chasing, draw refusal. And you can't have aliases. Good points Sohal.

Changing my vote to both.

#8 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Which do you like better?

and why?

I tried to register for an account but didnt get the email confirmation

retry a new account and look in your spam folder

#9 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

good idea

*checks my spam*

i tried registering again, but it said I already registered...

#10 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

My problem is that I can't play ranked on Gravon for some reason. Otherwise it would be a good alternative.

• sevenseas likes this

#11 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,193 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

I have registered a account, but I don't know how to come into games etc.

#12 texaspete09

texaspete09

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

I recently registered. To play ranked games, you need to wait 2 weeks after you have initially registered. I voted gravon because you can choose who you play, there are no bad sportsmen, and you can save 40 setups for free.
The only Downside for me is how there aren't as many players available.

Edited by texaspete09, 18 January 2016 - 08:59 PM.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#13 Roondy Moose

Roondy Moose

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:32 AM

@Sohal

Unfortunately rude people everywhere. I played a guy who called me everything under the sun. In fact he also mentioned he had been banned here.

Username was "art."

Love is a losing game.

#14 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

lol

famous banned guy. LOL

#15 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

@Sohal

Unfortunately rude people everywhere. I played a guy who called me everything under the sun. In fact he also mentioned he had been banned here.

Username was "art."

Yeah, he is an idiot.

"Everyone pities the weak, jealousy you have to earn."

#16 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Sohal summed it up nicely (funny about Art though!)

Gravon is far superior and if it had even 10% of the number of players here, I wouldn't be here. I only set up an account here as all too often you can be waiting ages for a game at Gravon. Its a shame as it used to be much busier - if you look at the rankings from 2010, 2011 or further back, there used to be well over 100 players in the final standings - now its about 50. I'm not sure why, ok some players may have started playing here instead and stopped playing there - but surely not many given it has superior formatting and options there? I don't know what the reason is but its a shame and I wish more players here would play there more often or register to play.

It is an issue around ranking - you have to contact the admin guys (Spion is best) and ask and I think you have to have played at least 20 games with the same nickname you want to register, and have beaten a ranked player at least once. Not sure if that's still the rule now, it might be more relaxed as they need more players. But message admin, you can use the chat box, email or whisper feature for privacy. Its not that hard given how many others have managed to do it!

• Sohal, Don_Homer, Roondy Moose and 1 other like this

#17 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

Oh and waiting 2 weeks is basically their way of checking you're not a troll or an idiot. Maybe the 2 weeks has replaced the 20 games required....

#18 Emily45

Emily45

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:35 AM

Gravon : no chasers                                                    Stratego.com : chasers

Gravon : no stallers                                                     Stratego.com : stallers

Gravon : no rude behaviour                                        Stratego.com : rude behaviour

Gravon : you can choose your opponent                    Stratego.com : you can't

Gravon : you can watch games                                   Stratego.com : you can't

Gravon : bronstein clock                                             Stratego.com : good luck against a draw refusal or a chaser

Gravon : no aliases                                                     Stratego.com : lol

Gravon : free                                                               Stratego.com : have to pay (record set up, euro pieces,.....)

Gravon : you can join a game in 2s                            Stratego.com : sometimes it takes 15' if you have a high ELO

Gravon : you can chat with many players                   Stratego.com : you can chat one player at a time

Gravon : no shitty animation                                       Stratego.com : child animation

Gravon : you can watch games                                  Stratego.com : you can't

Gravon : rankings are adequate                                 Stratego.com : some players are moving +/- 500 ELO points a month

stratego.com : many players (are they so many?)      gravon : not a lot of players, but good ones

Spot on Sohal. You left one out though -

Gravon: Doesn't suck enormous buttocks           Stratego.com: Sucks enormous buttocks​

#19 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 890 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I tried to get a game on gravon but there were only like 5 players online , 3 inactive and two playing and they would keep rematching each other. Also everyone is speaking in german. Ill try again in the evening maybe i can get more players

Also the rule that you must wait 2 weeks before playing ranked is just weird... I am still willing to wait if it provides better simulation of live tournaments.

Edit : by the way my nick is flame04

Edited by roeczak, 16 May 2017 - 11:35 AM.

• Major Nelson likes this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#20 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,305 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

I'd really like to know how anyone at Gravon knows the are no aliases there. How is an alias blocked from being there?
  • Major Nelson likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users