Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

North American Stratego Federation (NASF):  

Formed on 11-20-15.  NASF is looking to gather North American players by creating  friendships, building a following for our game, and help promote it to others.  Rules and applications for the NASF is still in the works, but we will have our second tourney on Monday January 4th.  Our long term future goal is to have a live event like many European nations do if there is a big enough following.  

1. General:

a. The second North American Stratego Federation tournament is a double elimination knockout tournament.

b. The tournament will be run by Midnightguy, Astros, Chewtoy, --Wogomite-- serving as judges.

c. The tournament is scheduled to begin on January, 4th at 12 AM eastern time with all games to be played over the next 8 to 10 weeks (depending on the number of players signed up it could be more or less time).

d. Players who participate will become members of the NASF if they are not already. 

e. Players who can not participate in this even may still join the NASF and can play in future events we will hold.  

2. Eligibility:

a. A player must possess citizenship in a North American, Central American or Caribbean country.  Players with duel citizenship are permitted as long as one of their citizenship's are of a North American country.   

b. A player must have an ELO score of at least 200 or a minimum of 200 games played.

c. A player must be registered at the Stratego.com forum.

d. A player may only enter on one account. The player must use the same account in all tournaments run by the NASF.

e. The tournament judges reserve the right to refuse entry to any player suspected of not meeting the eligibility requirements.

3. Format:

a.  On January, 4th our first pairings will be given and this event and will be given random seeding including any byes that may occur during the event.  

b. The two players in a matchup will play a game with the winner advancing to the next round.

c. If a tie occurs, the two players must immediately play another game to determine a winner. Unless, a date within 24 hours is agreed upon.

d. The format of this tournament is double elimination, a player is eliminated when he or she has lost 2 games.

e. The winner of the Rehabilitation Bracket must beat the winner of the Premier Bracket twice to become the champion.

f. Matches will be posted in the forum as a topic for those two players so they may setup matches and report results.  

4. Scheduling:

a. Players are expected to play at least one game a week. The game must be completed by Monday 12 AM EST. 

b. Players will use the forum topic of where their match is posted and give at least give some time slots of availability. 

c. To be valid, a time slot must be at least two hours. A time slot must fall between 6 PM - 12 AM EST Monday through Friday or 12 PM - 12 AM EST Saturday and Sunday.

d.      If both players have posted valid time slots (in accordance with Rule 4c) by Wednesday 11:59 PM EST, but there is no matching time, then players may continue to post valid time slots until Friday 11:59 PM EST. If no agreement has been reached (by Friday 11:59 PM EST) then the game will automatically be scheduled for Sunday 8:00 PM EST.

NOTE: Players may still MUTUALLY agree to play their game on a different time, as long as it starts no later than Sunday 11:00 PM EST.

e. If a player has not posted (at least) 3 valid timeslots (in accordance with Rule 4c) by Wednesday 11:59 PM EST then this player may be forfeit the match. (Note that a forfeit only applies if there are no existing game arrangements) Whilst TC will help out wherever possible by highlighting when time slots are not valid, it is the sole responsibility of the player to ensure that this requirement is met. 

f. If a player is not present 10 minutes after 8pm EST their opponent may claim victory by taking a screenshot by showing their opponent offline on their friends list.

g. If both players fail to appear during set scheduled match of 8pm EST on Sunday, the player who demonstrated the best effort to set up a match will be declared the winner.  If no effort is made by either side, then player with the current higher ELO will be declared the winner.  

5. Reporting:

a. For a result to be official the winner must send a screenshot to the tournament board clearly showing the result or may post screen shot to forum via file attachment or hyperlink to a picture sharing site. 

b. If both players confirm the result of the match, the tournament board will accept this in lieu of a screenshot. However, it is strongly recommended that players screenshot the result.

6. Additional Rules:

a. If a player feels their opponent is refusing a draw, they should report it to the tournament judges. The tournament judges will rules on draw refusal cases according to the rules of the Moderation Team. Those rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...-topic/?hl=kiss

b. If a player feels their opponent is demonstrating abusive behavior, they should report it to the tournament judges. Players found guilty of abusive behavior will be removed from the tournament and may be removed from the NASF.

c. If a player disconnects on their opponent instead of surrendering that player is guilty of abusive behavior.

d.  This event will enforce the ISF rule of double chasing.  Any lengthy double chasing that is recorded on video may be presented to the judges.  If the video shows such evidence exists of double chasing, the player in violation will forfeit that match.

e. Unless if both players agree to it, no video recording of a match will be permitted to be published to any website.  However if a video shows that of a violation to our rules or Stratego.com it will only be shared to that of tournament judges: Midnighguy, Astros and Chewtoy.

f. If a player is disconnected due to a bug, a rematch may be played at the discretion of the disconectee's opponent. If the player who is disconnected has a video of the disconnection they may share it with the tournament judges. The judges may compel a rematch. 

g. Participants may only post on their game thread, the tournament questions thread or in the Marshal Blitz.

h. Players may not accuse other of unfair play openly on the forums. Any concerns about unfair play should be addressed in a private message to the tournament judges.

i. Players are expected to be respectful of each other.

7. Sign Up for Event:

Sign your name on post below if you are interested in joining our event and meet our eligibility requirements. 

Deadline to enter the event will be Sunday January, 3rd at 6pm EST.   

Any questions add them to this topic or PM Astros, Chewtoy, Midnightguy, or --Wogomite--

See you at the Battlefield!

8. Questions and Answers:  

Please post on this thread.  

Midnightguy, Astros, Chewtoy, and --Wogomite--

• Napoleon 1er, Chewtoy, Fairway and 2 others like this

#2 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

I work that night.  If it starts that day can my adversary im paired with and I play another day during that week?

"Everyone pities the weak, jealousy you have to earn."

#3 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:56 AM

This is a one game a week event.  You may play the match at any time during the week you and your opponent can agree too and not just at Sunday at 8pm EST.  

#4 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:18 AM

I believe the next division tournament should be happening at the same time?

If so, why do we need another tournament?  Seems to me that we are going to end up with fragmented tournaments as opposed to building up one group of tournaments.  Perhaps it should be a requirement that anyone entering this tournament also participates in the division tournament.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#5 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:43 AM

Scott while overall the first event was a success, it was too long and by the time we got to the finals with Astros vs Chewtoy they were both tired and I nodded off waiting to see who would win.  Plus to expect everyone to show up at same time just not that practical if we want a bigger showing.  

However Gaius Marius had suggested having just season where everyone plays one another or perhaps we can still just have a social gathering where we gather in the challenge room at a certain day and time and play for win % rating that would outside of site.  

• texaspete09 likes this

#6 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:12 AM

If anyone is interested in a regular season I'll plan it and stuff and give you an example of what it would look like.

• 128628bozo, Chewtoy and texaspete09 like this

#7 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

It seems to me that it makes more sense to have some type of coordination amongst tournaments.

Since the internet is global in nature, priority should be given to tournaments that include everyone.

So, since we had a single elimination, double elimination, and division tournaments last year on the site - why not divide the calendar into quarters and have regional tournaments in one of the quarters and the other three tournaments in the other three quarters? 

Otherwise we end up with only the most ardent stratego players in tournaments that run together along with the occasional participant that doesn't have endless time available to them.  I think some folks feel this just becomes too time consuming and they just move along to something else - and IMO the tournaments should exist to add another layer of fun to the game and increase participation not discourage folks.

​Spartan Warriors

#8 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:55 PM

The bias of the other tournaments towards Euopean time zones are exclusionary towards players living in the US and Canada.

Tournaments require players to play one game a week. Therefore, I am not worried about conflicts.

Edited by astros, 18 December 2015 - 08:55 PM.

3 - 0

#9 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

It seems to me that it makes more sense to have some type of coordination amongst tournaments.

Since the internet is global in nature, priority should be given to tournaments that include everyone.

So, since we had a single elimination, double elimination, and division tournaments last year on the site - why not divide the calendar into quarters and have regional tournaments in one of the quarters and the other three tournaments in the other three quarters? 

Otherwise we end up with only the most ardent stratego players in tournaments that run together along with the occasional participant that doesn't have endless time available to them.  I think some folks feel this just becomes too time consuming and they just move along to something else - and IMO the tournaments should exist to add another layer of fun to the game and increase participation not discourage folks.

Agan, there are plenty of tournaments to join. The NASF is about endangering interest in Stratego in North America.

Perhaps one day we will convene a tourney that encompasses more than just us. But for now, this is the focus. As Astros said, one game per week is pretty conducive considering that we don't have to meddle w/ time zone conversions (honestly, that is why I don't join most of the tourneys here - - I can rarely play given the time difference). EST is a big relief when scheduling matches. 

Terror made me cruel. 

#10 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

Well, I think your viewing things as a hard core stratego player.

People who are not as into the game will view things as disorganized and fragmented and will be less likely to participate.

And for those of us who have families, businesses, etc - committing to one night during the week is often a challenge.  Setting things up so that they overlap for several weeks becomes a problem. 

It would make sense to me that each regional/country group would have their tournament at the same time.  So Greece, Netherlands, North America and whomever else would each have a tournament at the same time.  Then return to the tournaments organized by the site and open to all.

​Spartan Warriors

#11 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

Well, I think your viewing things as a hard core stratego player.

People who are not as into the game will view things as disorganized and fragmented and will be less likely to participate.

And for those of us who have families, businesses, etc - committing to one night during the week is often a challenge.  Setting things up so that they overlap for several weeks becomes a problem. 

It would make sense to me that each regional/country group would have their tournament at the same time.  So Greece, Netherlands, North America and whomever else would each have a tournament at the same time.  Then return to the tournaments organized by the site and open to all.

We are going to run NASF tournaments as we see fit. We will adjust in the future if we need to.

I would also assert that most players in tournaments are "hardcore".

Edited by astros, 19 December 2015 - 08:32 PM.

3 - 0

#12 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

I welcome anyone; hardcore, casual, or newbies who played at least 200 games to enter our event.  The NASF mission is to promote our game to all North Americans and have fun.  

#13 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,803 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

4c. Guys, this rules section doesn't say anything about being for START times. It probably should to be consistent with the other tournaments on the site. Requiring availabilities to be purely for start times is a good way to avoid confusion as to the time slot problem. If you have players give two hour time slots, are they going to be allowed to leave at the end of the slot if their game is started but unfinished? I don't think so. With Start times listed this problem is removed.

An availability time slot should not be needed to be said to be two hours, therefore. 8:30- 9:00 pm CST should work fine. That means I can only start a game during that time, no matter how long it lasts.

Another thing missing, unless I overlooked it, is whether you are insisting on times being listed in EST times, or will my CST time work above? Is it okay if the players use MST or even PST?

What is the standard time format, in other words?

#14 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

4c. Guys, this rules section doesn't say anything about being for START times. It probably should to be consistent with the other tournaments on the site. Requiring availabilities to be purely for start times is a good way to avoid confusion as to the time slot problem. If you have players give two hour time slots, are they going to be allowed to leave at the end of the slot if their game is started but unfinished? I don't think so. With Start times listed this problem is removed.

An availability time slot should not be needed to be said to be two hours, therefore. 8:30- 9:00 pm CST should work fine. That means I can only start a game during that time, no matter how long it lasts.

Another thing missing, unless I overlooked it, is whether you are insisting on times being listed in EST times, or will my CST time work above? Is it okay if the players use MST or even PST?

What is the standard time format, in other words?

The time slots are with regard to start times. I will ask Rob to clarify that.

Two hour time slots are best as they increase the chances of overlapping time slots between players. The NASF board will discuss this.

All times must be eastern. Being on a uniform time zone will make scheduling easier.

3 - 0

#15 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,803 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Using Eastern time is probably like the other tournaments using GMT. So maybe best. But it might get to be hairy for a guy from way out in Alaska or Hawaii to calculate these times. Everyone will have to be instructed on their own time zones versus the Eastern one.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#16 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

Can you add me to the tournament even though me current account does not have enough games? I did play about 750 as QueenofSpades until it went caput. I don't even know how to get to the place to play. How do players get matched up?

Queenbee

#17 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:23 AM

Players will be paired up randomly.  This may give some of our lower level or newer players a chance to draw against someone else besides the best players and they are out first round with no chance.  Plus random drawings make it more interesting who you will face.  What happened with your other account that it went kaput?  If we can confirm that is you on the other name, then I have no issue allowing you to play on QueenofHearts.  

• Fairway likes this

#18 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

Can you add me to the tournament even though me current account does not have enough games? I did play about 750 as QueenofSpades until it went caput. I don't even know how to get to the place to play. How do players get matched up?

You qualify because you have more than 200 points at the time of registration.

3 - 0

#19 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 545 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

If anyone is interested in a regular season I'll plan it and stuff and give you an example of what it would look like.

The season is a great idea.  There could be divisions, playoffs, etc.

Edited by texaspete09, 27 December 2015 - 12:46 AM.

• Chewtoy likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#20 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

The season is a great idea.  There could be divisions, playoffs, etc.

Yes exactly what I was thinking.  If we get like 20-30 people who want to do it we can make divisions and have a playoff.  I was thinking of making divisions based on where people are in the country so time differences are not a problem.  

Edited by Gaius Marius, 31 December 2015 - 08:13 PM.

• The Prof, Chewtoy and texaspete09 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users