Photo

New App vs. Old App

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Poll: New App vs. Old App (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which app do you like better?

1. The old app (50 votes [98.04%])

Percentage of vote: 98.04%

2. The new app (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

I totally agree with you but one (I won't name names) is always able to say that your opinion is only the opinion of one person and therefore not very important to a team of developers. The same can be said about the 45 people that voted for the old app on here, since there are supposedly thousands of users who are very satisfied. Since I have serious problems to believe that, I had a look at the Facebook page where the app is advertized: https://www.facebook.com/Stratego

Ugh... My eyes hurt from staring at the way-too-bright colors that attract the children.... And you know what's pathetic? The psychotic major as the symbol. Mick and the team are not giving themselves a good name....

If you go to the comments under the post made on 5 November you will see pretty much exactly the same as the complaints spelled out in this thread:

- the new app looks too childish

- the new app no longer has the single player option included, which is now only available after paying some extra money

- the quick game no longer has the option to make your own setup

- requests not to ruin the website based game in the same way

Amen!

Now I'm really beginning to wonder where those thousands of satisfied users are hiding... ? 

Maybe they are all the newborn babies who play this childish game and randomly touch the screen while playing the game on mommy's phone....

Edited by Fairway, 27 November 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• Lonello likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#162 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

I totally agree with you but one (I won't name names) is always able to say that your opinion is only the opinion of one person and therefore not very important to a team of developers. The same can be said about the 45 people that voted for the old app on here, since there are supposedly thousands of users who are very satisfied. Since I have serious problems to believe that, I had a look at the Facebook page where the app is advertized: https://www.facebook.com/Stratego

Ugh... My eyes hurt from staring at the way-too-bright colors that attract the children.... And you know what's pathetic? The psychotic major as the symbol. Mick and the team are not giving themselves a good name....

I actually I had not even noticed that it was the major because half of the pieces look very similar and I simply can't play with them so I was using the classic pieces already from the beginning. To my opinion the colors of the new pieces are also overdone. If I want to watch cartoons I can always turn on the TV...

If you go to the comments under the post made on 5 November you will see pretty much exactly the same as the complaints spelled out in this thread:

- the new app looks too childish

- the new app no longer has the single player option included, which is now only available after paying some extra money

- the quick game no longer has the option to make your own setup

- requests not to ruin the website based game in the same way

Amen!

Now I'm really beginning to wonder where those thousands of satisfied users are hiding... ? 

Maybe they are all the newborn babies who play this childish game and randomly touch the screen while playing the game on mommy's phone....

That is one way of explaining it, yes...

I'd like to see a serious answer from Mick regarding the question in my last message.

#163 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'd like to see a serious answer from Mick regarding the question in my last message.

To answer your question; I can only assume they are either not aware there is a forum or have no interest in being here.

Posted Image

#164 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

To answer your question; I can only assume they are either not aware there is a forum or have no interest in being here.

Can you restate this in a way so that normal English-speaking people can understand it and not talk in your local dialect?  :)

#165 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

Obviously there are children who are satisfied and I'm pretty sure market research did take place. Therefore this isn't quite as bad as some of the clowns on The Apprentice. ;)

But the serious players are certainly not happy with the lack of fixes and improvements to the actual backend

Edited by sevenseas, 29 November 2015 - 02:31 PM.

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#166 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:30 PM

Remember what I have already said.  Mick is a hired hand.  He is bought.  His agenda is really someones agenda that is higher-up.   Mick is not a Stratego purist that only wishes to enhance the magnificence that is stratego.  He just wants more sheep to play the game for a day or 2, after buying the app, then leave.  But I am at least glad he fixed the ranking system and now all leagues are full.  If Mick only did one more thing, and that one more thing was the forced end situation to defend against draw refusers.  Then I would say he has truly done something to help the more elite aspect of the game.

• Lonello and sevenseas like this

"Everyone pities the weak, jealousy you have to earn."

#167 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

Remember what I have already said.  Mick is a hired hand.  He is bought.  His agenda is really someones agenda that is higher-up.   Mick is not a Stratego purist that only wishes to enhance the magnificence that is stratego.  He just wants more sheep to play the game for a day or 2, after buying the app, then leave.  But I am at least glad he fixed the ranking system and now all leagues are full.  If Mick only did one more thing, and that one more thing was the forced end situation to defend against draw refusers.  Then I would say he has truly done something to help the more elite aspect of the game.

Well, that would be good. But is most likely not happening.

#168 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

I'm really beginning to wonder where those thousands of satisfied users are hiding... ?

Can you restate this in a way so that normal English-speaking people can understand it and not talk in your local dialect?  :)

Maybe because I speak the same dialect I understand Mick perfectly well there ;). He's simply saying those thousands of players are not aware there is a forum, so that's why the percentage is 98%. Or they do know about this forum but do not care to vote. None of them. I guess Mick thinks if even one of them entered the forum here and voted, the percentage would drop to 96% at the spot.

Lo

#169 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

The ranks are just a cosmetic change like everything else that has been done recently. The leagues being full or not doesn't bother me. What does is the noticeable issues like multiple accounts, chasers, draw refusals.

The problem with the new leagues is it ends at 880. I'm not an elite player; I'm slightly above average at best and yet I still get the highest accolade of Platinum Marshal same as Hielco, Sohal, and all the other top players. Although the ranks don't matter there is nothing else for me to achieve beyond a few extra points next to my name now. I also don't deserve to have the same rank as some of the top elite players on this site. To me, Platinum marshal should mean "best of the best". 

I understand to the outsider it looks like I'm complaining about everything, but there are just a few basic fundamental backend things that need to be added for all the players to be satisfied. It is not a complex task. :)

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#170 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

Maybe because I speak the same dialect I understand Mick perfectly well there ;). He's simply saying those thousands of players are not aware there is a forum, so that's why the percentage is 98%. Or they do know about this forum but do not care to vote. None of them. I guess Mick thinks if even one of them entered the forum here and voted, the percentage would drop to 96% at the spot.

But then there would be a lot more old app people then new app.... so it would probably stay around the same. 

#171 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

The ranks are just a cosmetic change like everything else that has been done recently. The leagues being full or not doesn't bother me. What does is the noticeable issues like multiple accounts, chasers, draw refusals.

The problem with the new leagues is it ends at 880. I'm not an elite player; I'm slightly above average at best and yet I still get the highest accolade of Platinum Marshal same as Hielco, Sohal, and all the other top players. Although the ranks don't matter there is nothing else for me to achieve beyond a few extra points next to my name now. I also don't deserve to have the same rank as some of the top elite players on this site. To me, Platinum marshal should mean "best of the best". 

I understand to the outsider it looks like I'm complaining about everything, but there are just a few basic fundamental backend things that need to be added for all the players to be satisfied. It is not a complex task. :)

I just thought it looked stupid that 2 entire fields were blank.  Just made the site look pathetic and gave an elementary look like a newish programmer made the site and still was working things out.  The site looks on the surface as more complete.  And Platinum Marshal could probably be moved up to 900 or so but in the end I think it does not matter.  You should not be trying to achieve the rank of "Platinum Marshal," which could happen at any rank the developers wish.  You should rather try to move up the leaderboard until you are number one in the world.  No matter what the programmers and developers do, we still have the most basic ranking which is the numbered leaderboard.  I have never cared what "rank" I am, just how close to the top I am.  Which is a skewed ranking I understand because of the existence of multiple accounts.  I for fun wanted to see how many accounts i could get into the platinum league.  I have 3.  I would gladly delete the other two if everyone would.  Its kind of like this.  I am an American.  I love my guns.  I am a highly skilled marksman that has never hurt a soul with a firearm.  I use them for amusement like I do with my multiple accounts.  I would however for the sake of world peace in the case of a firearm and the purity of the game, in the sake of multiple accounts, get rid of them all.  The problem lies with the fact that criminals will never stop having guns and ways to hurt people and cheaters will never stop abusing the system.  If the world of Stratego is to advance we must 1. Get rid of multiple accounts.  2.  Create an end game scenario to defeat draw refusers. 3.  Eliminate chasers by fixing the coding of the game.  I know as well people create programs on their computer to have all pieces revealed "stay visible."  I however am not intelligent enough to know of a way to solve this problem.

Edited by Gaius Marius, 29 November 2015 - 03:13 PM.

• Fairway likes this

#172 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

The problem with the new leagues is it ends at 880. I'm not an elite player; I'm slightly above average at best and yet I still get the highest accolade of Platinum Marshal same as Hielco, Sohal, and all the other top players. 

If Sevenseas is just above average, then what am I? It pains me to think about it.  :lol:

• Lonello likes this

#173 PuzzledTea

PuzzledTea

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

If Sevenseas is just above average, then what am I? It pains me to think about it.  :lol:

Well if that was a correct statement that Sevenseas is above average (I think modesty is in effect there), then my ELO on that same relative scale should be on a negative number. :P

• Lonello likes this

#174 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

Well if that was a correct statement that Sevenseas is above average (I think modesty is in effect there), then my ELO on that same relative scale should be on a negative number. :P

Lol I'm definitely not much better...  <_< My ELO is probably like 10 or something.   :o

Edited by Fairway, 29 November 2015 - 06:04 PM.

#175 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

It was, funnily enough, correct English.

But to answer your passive-aggressive attempt at an insult: 

Your question:

My answer:

Those users are either not aware that there is a forum, meaning that they've never been here or they are aware there is a forum, but have no desire to be here. Please not that not everyone wants to lurk around on a forum.

Maybe because I speak the same dialect I understand Mick perfectly well there  ;). He's simply saying those thousands of players are not aware there is a forum, so that's why the percentage is 98%. Or they do know about this forum but do not care to vote. None of them. I guess Mick thinks if even one of them entered the forum here and voted, the percentage would drop to 96% at the spot.

That's not what I said. I also did not use those percentages. 

tumblr_inline_nti2wm0OFI1tqgb96_500.png

You seem to know a lot about me. I hate to tell you that you got your facts wrong :(

Also, it's not just me... it's the entire team of talented individuals! Check the credits!

Posted Image

#176 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

It was, funnily enough, correct English.

But to answer your passive-aggressive attempt at an insult: 

Your question:

My answer:

Those users are either not aware that there is a forum, meaning that they've never been here or they are aware there is a forum, but have no desire to be here. Please not that not everyone wants to lurk around on a forum.

That's not what I said. I also did not use those percentages. 

tumblr_inline_nti2wm0OFI1tqgb96_500.png

You seem to know a lot about me. I hate to tell you that you got your facts wrong :(

Also, it's not just me... it's the entire team of talented individuals! Check the credits!

If you are so great at Stratego then play the game on your account and when you get an elite rank then we will know you are a great Stratego mind.  I mean after all you love the game so much, why not use your free time to play it.  It may help your business plans too.  And for the record myself and most people here think you have and elementary understanding of the inner-workings of the game.  And also to further prove I am right, If you were not just a hired hand, then you would play the game, but I dont see you play the game I see you just come here to fill your pocketbook.

• Lonello likes this

#177 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:10 PM

If you are so great at Stratego then play the game on your account and when you get an elite rank then we will know you are a great Stratego mind.  I mean after all you love the game so much, why not use your free time to play it.  It may help your business plans too.  And for the record myself and most people here think you have and elementary understanding of the inner-workings of the game.  And also to further prove I am right, If you were not just a hired hand, then you would play the game, but I dont see you play the game I see you just come here to fill your pocketbook.

Don't have time... too busy developing ;)

Posted Image

#178 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

Don't have time... too busy developing ;)

I work 48 hours a week at what I am sure is a much more stressful job than yours and still play, you have time.  What I have learned in life is that if you truly love something you will make time not excuses.  I took 15 credit hours in college, worked a job on the weekends, and managed to be a competitive college distance runner.  I still had a good gpa when I graduated and still played stratego for fun.  It is possible.

#179 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

I work 48 hours a week at what I am sure is a much more stressful job than yours and still play, you have time.  What I have learned in life is that if you truly love something you will make time not excuses.  I took 15 credit hours in college, worked a job on the weekends, and managed to be a competitive college distance runner.  I still had a good gpa when I graduated and still played stratego for fun.  It is possible.

I love how you seem to know everything about my life! You should do something with that gift ;)

Posted Image

#180 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for your response. Based on your choice for the word "assume" it seems that you don't know what the opinion of the thousands of satisfied people that you were mentioning before actually is. Not knowing someone's opinion is to me a different thing than hearing a satisfied opinion from that person. Also, it's not exactly clear to me how simply assuming things fits together with doing some proper market research that is needed to create a self-sustaining business. Could you provide any more insight here?

• Master Mind likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users