Photo

New App vs. Old App

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Poll: New App vs. Old App (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which app do you like better?

1. The old app (50 votes [98.04%])

Percentage of vote: 98.04%

2. The new app (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

The grid is actually bigger than the previous version.

The visual style of the units has nothing to do with the size, which is also bigger.

The unit-style will not be changed,

Posted Image

#142 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Do you also get the graveyards shown right next to the board when you play on a smartphone?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

#143 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

I do; and you don't :)

Posted Image

#144 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

I do; and you don't :)

What a wonderful professional answer for a software developer. And of course: great use of the smiley Mick! :)

#145 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Perhaps you misread. 
I meant that I do know the answer and that in the mobile versions, you don't have graveyards on the side.

Posted Image

#146 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

Perhaps you misread. 
I meant that I do know the answer and that in the mobile versions, you don't have graveyards on the side.

Perhaps you should reply nicely and not in misleading ways that may cause your customers to think that you are being sarcastic.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#147 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

Perhaps you misread. 

No I didn't misread, unless your phrase "I do, and you don't :)" actually means "No, the graveyards are not shown on the side in the mobile version" in your local dialect. In that case please post a link to that dialect's dictionary so not only I but also the other members of this forum can happily enjoy your wise answers.

Thanks again for being so fantastically clear and polite! :)

• sevenseas and Fairway like this

#148 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

No I didn't misread, unless your phrase "I do, and you don't :)" actually means "No, the graveyards are not shown on the side in the mobile version" in your local dialect. In that case please post a link to that dialect's dictionary so not only I but also the other members of this forum can happily enjoy your wise answers.

Thanks again for being so fantastically clear and polite! :)

This will do quite nicely.  :)

#149 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

Tomato, I do not believe you can, at least on Android. Anyway, I wasn't sure, so I just played a throwaway game to test this fact. (A guy ran his Marshal into a bomb and gave me the test game within five minutes!)

I have a Samsung S5 and definitely couldn't get it to turn landscape today. I did have my screen rotation turned on.

The landscape image I took earlier and posted on the other thread was from my Google Nexus 7 tablet. So it's a good question. They do not even give the option, apparently, for smartphones to turn landscape. I had previously thought that every Android device would be the same. But I guess that's not so.

Find my other post here: http://forum.strateg...app/#entry42338

See the following link for more new app pics. These are from my phone.

http://forum.strateg...app/#entry42222

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#150 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

Gary, thanks for testing that out for me with the new app.

The landscape image I took earlier and posted on the other thread was from my Google Nexus 7 tablet. So it's a good question. They do not even give the option, apparently, for smartphones to turn landscape. I had previously thought that every Android device would be the same. But I guess that's not so.

Yes, I noticed that which is why I asked the question. I have a pretty compact Samsung smartphone so I wondered if the graveyards always appear next to the board, which would then obviously make all the pieces extremely small. Anyway thanks for clarifying! By the way, I still don't see any reason to install the "upgraded" app so I'll just leave it as it is.

• Lonello likes this

#151 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

Mobile devices are all portrait, while all tablets can be portrait and landscape. This is because although some phones have a nice resolution, the majority does not, making landscape-mode impossible to see/tap.

Since we cannot turn on/off the device-turning depending on the device, we've chosen that all mobile phones will be in portrait and all tablets can support both.

Posted Image

#152 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

That's interesting. Thanks, Mick.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#153 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:14 PM

About 98% like the old app, and 2% like the new app. What a landslide. 

• Lonello and sevenseas like this

#154 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 537 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

We need more votes!
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#155 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

Well, that's probably about all the people who are going to vote.... But we'll see if any new members or not-so-active stragglers come in! Hopefully we can at least get 50.

#156 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

Well, my interest in the app is officially over now. Yesterday my phone decided to automatically update a bunch of apps - I don't remember setting it up like that but anyway - and the Stratego app has now been reverted to the new one. Out of curiosity and after having read all the negative comments above I tried a quick game to test it and yeah... it's awful. A strategic game is killed if a player is not able to determine the entire strategy throughout the game, which obviously includes making the setup, as has always been the case in Stratego. I won the test game but there is zero fun in it if it is so predictable where the opponent's pieces are located. I'd seriously rather play yahtzee or tic-tac-toe than this nonsense.

In some other thread I noticed Mick saying that the developers did not get a good deal with Jumbo but rather aim to develop the game in a more attractive way for more players. As noble as this may sound there is not a single official Jumbo Stratego game where the player has no control over the board setup at the start of the game. Not even Stratego Barrage (similar to the quick game on here) is like that, most probably because such a restriction on the game destroys the strategic aspect. So Mick, could you let us know whether you and the developers decided to enforce a random setup for the quick game or that Jumbo asked you to develop it like this? I'd be very curious to know the answer to this question. :)

• Fairway likes this

#157 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

We made the decision, together with Jumbo, to go with a selection of 50+ random setups for the Quick Battle mode to keep the quick-flow going. Players can still create as many setups as they want for the classic battles. That has not been changed.

Posted Image

#158 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Since you are working with Jumbo it is by default the case that all decisions are made jointly but I would like to know whose idea it originally was to enforce random setups for the quick game. It's good that this rule does not yet apply to the classic game because then pretty much everyone would stop playing on here, both app and website.

• Aris1970 and Fairway like this

#159 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

We made the decision, together with Jumbo, to go with a selection of 50+ random setups for the Quick Battle mode to keep the quick-flow going. Players can still create as many setups as they want for the classic battles. That has not been changed.

Yeah, well about 75% of the games I play are quick games. If you obliterate quick games by giving us your own crappy setups to use, I will stop playing them. Which means I can't play my favorite game. Which means I'll go to gravon or another website that is better. Which means that I'm sure a lot of players will follow me. I've talked to a lot of masters at this site that said they are leaving when the new app becomes mandatory. So then that means that you have no players and the few you do are little bronze spy kids. So that means that Mick and team are very sad.  :)

*But you can fix all this with simply letting us create quick game setups, on our own!*  :)

#160 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, well about 75% of the games I play are quick games. If you obliterate quick games by giving us your own crappy setups to use, I will stop playing them. Which means I can't play my favorite game. Which means I'll go to gravon or another website that is better. Which means that I'm sure a lot of players will follow me. I've talked to a lot of masters at this site that said they are leaving when the new app becomes mandatory. So then that means that you have no players and the few you do are little bronze spy kids. So that means that Mick and team are very sad.  :)

*But you can fix all this with simply letting us create quick game setups, on our own!*  :)

I totally agree with you but one (I won't name names) is always able to say that your opinion is only the opinion of one person and therefore not very important to a team of developers. The same can be said about the 45 people that voted for the old app on here, since there are supposedly thousands of users who are very satisfied. Since I have serious problems to believe that, I had a look at the facebook page where the app is advertized: https://www.facebook.com/Stratego

If you go to the comments under the post made on 5 November you will see pretty much exactly the same as the complaints spelled out in this thread:

- the new app looks too childish

- the new app no longer has the single player option included, which is now only available after paying some extra money

- the quick game no longer has the option to make your own setup

- requests not to ruin the website based game in the same way

Now I'm really beginning to wonder where those thousands of satisfied users are hiding... ?

• Lonello, maxroelofs and Fairway like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users